My find at an Antique Shop

by orangefatcat 27 Replies latest jw friends

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

yesterday was a nice day so I took out my scooter and I went over to the library and also decided to go into the antique mall just across the road from us. I love going to antique shops, so I was browsing at some old books and I seen this old purple paperback book and I picked it up and it was called ; The Truth Shall Make You Free, at first I thought this sounds like a JW book but why so old as a paperback . Upon opening it I was suprised that it was indeed a paperback book by Jehovah's Witnesses 1939 and it pretty good shape. It was printed in Alberta and in Toronto the address for the Society was then Main Street.

I was glad I found this because I didn't know that paperbacks were ever made before until in recent year. I need a little glue to reinforce the back and it will be as good as new. Here is a picture of it

I hope the pictures came up. I also found a old copy of "Pilgrims Progress" I have heard it was an excellent work so I am looking forward to readling it. First I must fix the back spine. As it is quite old too 1930.

Well I just I thought I would share this picture with you.

love Orange fatcat

• love11
    love11

orange- I don't see the pictures?!

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

Okay I will try another way to post them and see if it works thanks for telling me.

Orangefatcat

• Country_Woman
    Country_Woman

Last time I was in an "antique" shop, I saw a little (A4 format) pen/charcoal drawing from a woman in a wood, framed - Art Deco /Jugenstill.

Not so expensive: Euro 25,-- Well since one of my very best friends was in hospital for breast-surgery and she is very much in favor of all kind of Art Deco cards, I bought it, in order to scan an make a card for her.The lady who sold it to me, said: an old picture in a new frame.

Wel at home, I removed te frame and what do you think ? It was'nt a drawing at all.... It was just a page from a magazin.....

I had paid Euro 25,-- for a frame that was'nt worth more then Euro 10,--......

I will never go to that particular shop again...

I have one consolation - the card was a succes....

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

I believe that some of the books that were issued in hardcover around the time of WWII in the USA were printed as paperbacks in Canada. I'm not sure whether this had to do with cost or was somehow persecution-related, since the JWs came under ban at some time. I've forgotten the details, but I'm pretty sure that what you have is one of the pb Canadian editions. The book was released as a hardcover in the US.

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

Neo Man your quite right the witnesses were banned in Canada in 1940 here is some facts I found. I just rechecked for the date of printing and there is no year mentioned in the book. So I haven't go any idea what year the society used the Commerciial Printers in Edmonton Alberta to print it. It appears from the condition its got to be close to the time the ban was on.

The religion was banned in Canada in 1940 (one year following Canada's entry into the war). Children were expelled from school; other children were placed in foster homes; members were jailed; men who refused to enter the army were sent to work camps. They remain banned in some countries and heavily persecuted in many others. The WTS has contributed heavily to the preservation of religious freedom in the US; they won 36 out of 45 religiously based cases that they took to the US Supreme Court between 1938 and 1955.

So with this and what you said seems its possible they used paperback style. Have you ever seen one like this one . I hope the picture turned out this time.

Orangefatcat.

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

Branda, It is too bad that happened to you, but sometimes things like that in the antique business occours. I have had the same thing happen to me. I bought a picture and I was sure it was petite pointe, all it was was a picture from a magaizine.

So we can all be fooled and I think that shop keepers should check out things before they buy them. or sell them. Its a huge industry now, everyone is looking for antiques I a m a freak for antiques. I f I could afford it I would get rid of the junk I have now in my home and get antiques I especially want an armoir. And some glass doors on shelves. Actually if you go to auctions you can sometime get terrific deals. I love auctions.

Well hope all is well with you and thanks for the nice pictures you send to me. I love them.

Thanks

Orangefatcat

• Country_Woman
    Country_Woman

OFC, actually the "lady" told me that SHE framed it - so she knew it. (and she knew that I bought it for the drawing) that's why I won't go there again... but, as I said the cards were good and i had something to talk over....

I still can't see your picture...

At least what YOU bought was'nt rubbish at all (or to be more exact : it was rubbish but it ain't worthless - on the contrary)

We are learning from our mistakes don't we ?

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

Did it work this time.?? Interestingly I just re read the front page and it was not printed by the Bethel it was printed in alberta by Commercial Printer INC. located in Edmonton.

Orangefatcat.

• love11
    love11

nada

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit