Check This Out

by DocHayes 12 Replies latest jw friends

• DocHayes
    DocHayes

I'm working out at the YMCA with my sister, and she spots an old Dub friend of mine playing B'Ball on the court. I had become really close friends with him during my high school years (about seven years ago), and lost touch a couple of years ago. Anyway, he much like most other JW's in my life I never really had one last "HURAAAH" before I formally DA'd myself in 2004, so chances are he never got the word.

However, but this time I knew the was good chance that he had learned, because I had a lengthy discussion with his brother about it several months ago. His brother had stopped by the house to hit on my sister (who has nothing to do with JW's anymore either- but not DA'd), and I told him I was DA'd because it was obvious that he didn't know.

Anyway, the bigger brother comes up after playing B'Ball to the weight room, and interrupts me while I'm doing my squats. Intially he engages in small talk, but I can tell that he's nervous. I'm nonchalant, but more preoccupied with my squats. He leaves for about five minutes then comes back over to me. The first words out of his mouth,

"Are you still going to the meetings?"

"No haven't you heard? I disassociated myself last year."

"What?" he replies. But it's obvious that he's not surprised, but playing along.

"Yeah I disassociated myself last year sometime."

"Why?"

"Dude what reason?" I say, now I'm getting a little pissed. "It's a long story and you don't have enough time to listen anyway."

He moves onto the next topic, "so what about your parents?"

"They divorced last year sometime."

"They going to the Hall?"

"No one does. My mom goes to another church, and my dad doesn't go at all."

He says he's sorry, and that he wanted to keep in touch, but he lost my number. Thats BS, simply because I was not part of the JW clique that he was in at the time. He doesn't try to preach to me, because he's not that type, and couldn't form an arguement. For a JW he always walked a fine-line between being a good JW and "Worldly". One I could not walk.

Well to add to shock value I tell him, "Well if you ever wanna hang out-"

"You know I can't do that" he cuts in, interrupting me mid speech.

"You're a grown-ass man, you can do whatever you want," I reply. "But I was saying before, If you want to hang out, get with me before the end of the year, I'm going to Iraq in 2006."

"Huh?" I show him my dog tags, "I'm in the Navy dude. My unit ships out for Iraq next year, and if I'm done with training... I'll be going."

I want him to ask why I joined the Navy, so I can say that I'm defending his religious freedom to shun me for the rest of his days. But I doubt that he could understand the real reasons why I joined. So I leave it alone, and he leaves it alone and goes back to working out. My cousin who is with me, is pissed and goes telling off my sister, cursing the JW's.

The ironic thing is this... how judgemental can he be as an active JW in the YMCA?

• adelmaal
    adelmaal

Funny, not only is he at the YMCA but he also approaches you even though he obviously knows you DA'd yourself. I think some JWs are just so nosy they can't stay out of other people's business. Otherwise, the convo would have been over as soon as you told him you DA'd yourself. It's like they think you owe it to them to share your personal matters with them.

I would question whether or not he is weak though. He may be weak and wanting to hang out with people who are also on the fence. Maybe he didn't know you were DA'd and only hoped you were just a fader so he could hang with you? Who knows...

Too bad you didn't throw it in his face that you are defending his right to religious freedom so he can treat you like sh$t for the rest of his life.

Thank you BTW for being willing to sacrifice your life for us. I truly wish you the best in your journey and have the utmost respect for you!

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

What!? He's at the YMCA of all places yet will still play their shunning game when it comes to hanging out with you!

"You're a grown-ass man, you can do whatever you want," I reply.

Exactly, Doc. Reinforcement that it's ok to think for oneself.

*addition of words

• love11
    love11

Hmmmm... was he... hitting on you? haha

Seriously, it sounds like the seeds of doubt have been planted. Maybe he never thought,you of all people, would decide to leave.

• DocHayes
    DocHayes

Am I wrong in assuming that the YMCA (Young Mens Christian Association) is still a no-no as far as JW's go? I wanna make sure that light has not gotten brighter about the YMCA. I think leaving an annoymous tip to the elders of his congregation are in order. I may be an Apostate, but I do care about the spirituality of JW's everywhere.

• blondie
    blondie

Many activities at the YMCA are available to non-members. Maybe it's one of those UN things. You can be associated as long as you don't join; but can still use their facilities.

Blondie

• El blanko
    El blanko
    I'm defending his religious freedom

- sorry, but that is a pile of cack.

How is the US defending a persons religious freedom by going to Iraq, I thought the whole point was for Bush to begin his global domination.

• upside/down
    upside/down
    a grown ass-man (edited)

All Dub males are, it's a pre-requisite!

u/d

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier
    how judgemental can he be as an active JW in the YMCA?

He was busted, and he knew it.

I anti-witnessed to an Elder in a Salvation Army thrift store!

Talk about hypocrisy.

Goodonya. And thank you for your service to the U.S.

Hugs

Brenda

• Poztate
    Poztate
    I anti-witnessed to an Elder in a Salvation Army thrift store!

Talk about hypocrisy.

I caught an elder coming out of a sally ann store. His eyes got as big as saucers when he saw me. I just grinned at him and kept on walking.

The sally ann or YMCA... they are all a bunch of religious hypocrites who have to look behind them every time they break their rules.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit