kitty killers

by doogie 26 Replies latest jw friends

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Ferel and wild cats are a problem everywhere.

In Hawaii to help save the endemic (only found there) and indiginous birds, they have a program to feed, capture, and spay/neuter give shots etc to the wild cats and return them to their turf. (Also note, Hawaii is still rabies-free)

I really dont want to see the Wisconsin law go into effect. There are other ways to work on this problem. It takes local people who love and respect wildlife, including wild cats, to do the work. In Oregon there are several local groups who do the same thing.

My cats are indoor/outdoor. They will not keep on any type of humane collar I put on them. They are chipped and have their shots up to date including rabies. I understand indoor-only cats, but I cannot deny my cats their outdoor freedoms.

• Country_Woman
    Country_Woman

That way I lost a cat: while on holiday, my mum was taking care for my cat "PoesjeNel" he was allowed to walk free and was always running toward us when we called his name - could take a while when he was far away, but he always came.

When returning home, my mum told me that Poesjenel (poesje is Dutch for kitten) onwe night did'nt came home.

It was almost 3 years later I found out what happened: the local forester was drinking a cup of coffee in our garden and he told us that wild cats were shot down in the dunes (on that spot there is a bird reservation) ofcourse when he knew the cats (and from all the neighbours he knew wich animals they kept) he would'nt shot the animal..... and my cat was just temporarily there.

I did'nt told him he shot mine....

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

((( Branda ))) I'm so sorry for the loss of your cat. I'm sure it was good and tough when you found out what happened to him. So often we never know. I'm grateful I've known, and had the chance to bury them.

Just got off the web:

(AP) Wisconsin's governor says he doesn't want his state to be known as the place where people can legally shoot cats.

Governor Jim Doyle says "everybody is kind of laughing" at his state right now ? over a proposal to legalize the killing of feral cats.

The proposal was adopted Monday at meetings of the Wisconsin Conservation Congress ? a public advisory group. It classifies wild, free-roaming cats as an unprotected species that kills songbirds and other wildlife.

"I don't think Wisconsin should become known as a state where we shoot cats," said Doyle, a Democrat who neither hunts nor owns a cat. (AP) Wisconsin's governor says he doesn't want his state to be known as the place where people can legally shoot cats.

Governor Jim Doyle says "everybody is kind of laughing" at his state right now ? over a proposal to legalize the killing of feral cats.

The proposal was adopted Monday at meetings of the Wisconsin Conservation Congress ? a public advisory group. It classifies wild, free-roaming cats as an unprotected species that kills songbirds and other wildlife.

"I don't think Wisconsin should become known as a state where we shoot cats," said Doyle, a Democrat who neither hunts nor owns a cat.
  • Country_Woman
    Country_Woman

Brenda, you are right.

All those years when I saw a cat in the street that looks like Poesjenel, I stopped the car and called him, for their was a possibility that he went away walking home (25km away over a 1 km long bridge).

After the forester told us so, I did'nt try to call every look-a-like.

It don't hurt anymore: it is almost 20 years ago, but when you read something like this, you remember it.

Running wild cats normally are not shot here. This SPOT was an exception This aerea was protected for breeding birds. (We don't have real wild cats the only predators we do have here are foxes and they,) in those days, are not on that island

• Poztate
    Poztate

MADISON, Wisconsin (AP) -- Although Wisconsin residents have voiced their support for a plan to legalize wild cat hunting, some legislators and cat lovers say they will continue their fight.

The proposal would allow licensed hunters to kill free-roaming cats, including any domestic cat that isn't under the owner's direct control or any cat without a collar, just like skunks or gophers -- something the Humane Society of the United States has described as cruel and archaic.
    I am sure that Wisconsin residents would quickly change their minds about this if the law also applied to "feral" dogs. It is a tough situation. I have a lot of feral cats around my home. I would hate to see them culled but I do see the problems they create.

• AlanF
    AlanF

I don't think that feral cats or dogs should be used as a human food source. They're too prone to being diseased. If people want to eat cat or dog meat, it would be easy enough to start an industry raising them, like pigs or cows. They taste quite good, and grow to marketable size quite rapidly. They can be used in most recipes that call for chicken or pork. Kitty A La King sounds yummy! Or Puppy Chops in mint sauce!

AlanF

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

People already hunt Bugs and Daffy, I guess Sylvester wasn't far behind...

• Elsewhere
  • the_classicist
    the_classicist

We have wild cats too, they're called cougars. I never really noticed stray cats, I guess they get eaten by the coyotes.

And the cat in the microwave thing is just an urban myth. We had the same story about an IE teacher at my old secondary school.

• AlanF
    AlanF

You mean someone put the IE teacher in a microwave and he exploded?

AlanF

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit