Does Anyone Feel Stuck In Their Job?

by love2Bworldly 14 Replies latest jw friends

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

Does anyone hate their job but feel like they would be throwing away a good thing if they quit? I'm working at my 3rd state agency in 4 years and have been unhappy at every one of them--usually because I don't have enough work to do and feel like a hamster on a wheel waiting for the paycheck, and I'm so bored!

I'm scared to quit the state job because I have a large family, and this affords me great medical benefits and retirement benefits.

Any advice? I have to work 16 more years to be able to retire with medical benefits. I am currently 42.

• whyamihere
    whyamihere

I feel the same as you! I am not paid very well. I work long hours and every weekend!

I have less than 17 years to go! Then I am going to Quit!

Damn Kids! lol

Brooke

• Lehaa
    Lehaa
    I feel the same as you! I am not paid very well. I work long hours and every weekend!

I have less than 17 years to go! Then I am going to Quit!

Damn Kids! lol

I here you. LOL

• Noumenon
    Noumenon

Yea I'm in the same boat. I hate my job and the whole place I work at and it's sucksville culture, but I stay because the money is superb. I am seriously thinking of just quitting and going to get that degree I should have done 15 years ago if it weren't for the constant expectation having been drummed into me that the big A is just around the corner.

• Purza
    Purza

love2BWorldly,

What is your dream job? What could you do to get a job like that? This came up in my life not too long ago. My fiancee works for a government agency (and has for the past 12 years) and he HATES it. So he figured out what he wanted to do and we are working towards that goal. Slowly but surely we are getting there and he hopes to leave his current job by the end of this year (or sooner) -- after 3 years of working towards his goal. Yes, he has responsibilties and felt stuck -- but we are finding it is possible with a little perseverence.

Purza

• Aude_Sapere
    Aude_Sapere

At 42 I changed my career and field of employment.

I don't feel stuck. I am never bored. I am pretty well challenged and so happy I made a change in my early 40's rather than my early 50's.

I have better pay, great benefits and, even I don't stay in this job forever, I have already grown so much professionally.

I went from Dental Practice Management to Selling Orthopedic Bracing and Supports to Doctors, Hospitals and Pharmacies.

-Aude. (who was bored to tears at her prior job but is so much happier now)

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

Try being self-employed ... it sucks writing out checks each month for about $700 for health insurance. Plus, my boss is a real ass and he has no retirement plan ...

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

Dan-O I feel your pain. My boss can be a real bitch hahah.

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

No, not really .... I have goals in my current job, and my manager supports me in it. My filosophy has always been " if i don't like it, i'll leave". That statement has been sure to get me a higher pay and position where I work now ...

But then, i have no responsibilities (kids), and can afford to demand stuff with risk of losing all ..

• DHL
    DHL

I have no kids, but I have to work to make a living, too. No big sugar daddy paying my bills! Like you I'm not happy with my current job so I decided to go back to (evening-)school to get me a degree so I can push my career. Btw I'm 37.

I'd say don't give up dreaming and realising your dreams. After all you're just 42 so you have at least another 40 years yet to come. Just try to imagine how you want to feel recapitulating your life once you're lying on your deathbed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit