Awful Friends.

by Englishman 26 Replies latest jw friends

• Englishman
    Englishman

I have some awful friends. Loud, demanding, boorish, mean, cantankerous, boozy, critical, flirtatious, foul-mouthed and generally obnoxious in every possible way.

But they're still my friends. I love 'em all, warts and all.

Years ago, as a po-faced snotty little witness, anyone who wanted to be my friend would have had to pass some sort of "test" as to their suitability as to becoming a potential friend of mine.

I'm certainly glad to be past all of that nonsense! Now I believe in loving people for their weaknesses as well as their strengths.

Don't you?

Englishman.

• kls
    kls

Yes Englishman ,i agree and you're friends sound like alot of fun. Better these the dead heads.

• confusedjw
    confusedjw
    Years ago, as a po-faced snotty little witness, anyone who wanted to be my friend would have had to pass some sort of "test"

One of the great features of being a witness. We had the ability to judge burned right into our personalities. So intergrated we were sure we didn't judge people. BUT EVERYTHING was about judging. Who to use on the platform, who could work in the parking lot, who was good association....

I too now take people more for the good and let the rest go.

• Honesty
    Honesty
    Now I believe in loving people for their weaknesses as well as their strengths.

Isn't that what Christ did?

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Englishman:

It is good that you have friends you like without having to pass the JW litmus test. The problem with JWs is that they are heavy into judging.

Someone once told me that there can be no room for love in a heart that is so full of judgmentalism. The two things cannot co-exist. So when JWs say they are loving it is just not true as we have all experienced.

LHG

• minimus
    minimus

That's why you're so well liked, EMan!

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

Completely agree with you here Eman, definately more tolerant of people these days and especially since leaving the JWs

DB of the Loud, demanding, boorish, mean, cantankerous, boozy, critical, flirtatious, foul-mouthed and generally obnoxious in every possible way class.

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

In learning the ways of the World, I learned that to have a friend, you need to be a friend. It took me an awful long time to foist my self-righteous ways, accept people for who they are, and just be a good friend. In that, I have learned that people are gonna do "people" things, and no amount of proseletyzing was going to change that. They just needed someone to talk to, and catch their backs. So I did that..

I have found a delightful circle of friends that catch my back, while i catch theirs... But I had to go through an awful lot fo awful friends to find out what "awful" meant... Now I just stick to the good ones..

CG

• HadEnuf
    HadEnuf
    I love 'em all, warts and all.

Ahhhhhhhh...Englishman...ain't it great? They were always telling us to "widen out" with our friendships in the congregation...but it was hard to do when you were looking down your nose at some and couldn't crack the "cliques" of others.

I love PEOPLE. PERIOD!!!!!!! "WARTS & ALL"!!!!!!

Cathy L.

• karly
    karly

I have a problem. I don't know how to meet some "awful" friends. I think being a witness for so long has killed my natural social instincts. How does one go about making a circle of new friends after leaving the witness org? I would love to have some fun with some slightly rowdy imperfect folks. I would like to know how to make some friends for life too.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit