Bullies

by Nancy Drake 48 Replies latest jw friends

• bebu
    bebu

I saw this google ad for love11's post.

http://www.redriderleglamps.com/

Red Rider Leg Lamps!!! Whodathunk I could get one for my own front window...

OK, sorry to hijack.

bebu

• love11
    love11

bebu- LMAO!!!

Maybe I'll surprise my husband this year with one of those things. hahaha

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

I was bullied as a kid and i was told to turn the other cheek by elders (given that i was a fatherless boy )

This doesnt work in the slightest; teach your young lad to look after himself and where to hit where it hurts most; he might lose the fight but if he hurts the bully...the bully wont come back for more thats a definate.

I had an experience at the KH actually as a kid...I was bullied by this prick of an elders son who thought he was the puppies proverbials; he would pick fights, punch, kick and generally name call until i got hold of him in the car park one sunday afternoon and beat the living shite out of him. He had bust nose and bottom lip the size of a plum and he never said a word afterward out of turn.

Naturally i expected a whoopin afterwards but was pleasantly surprised by my mother response...she said it was about time??!!!!

Seriously though I hate bullies and the quicker he can look after himself the better.

Sorry you are going through this

DB

• Jez
    Jez

This kid is 6 years old! I think of my little 5 yr old nephew and he is still such a baby! I would NEVER tell him to go beat the crap outta someone. It would take an innocence away before it's time. Mom and Dad's job to protect at this age as far as I am concerned.

Jez

• Nancy Drake
    Nancy Drake

Wow, you guys, I am always so grateful for all the replies I get. So many good ideas here!

they must speak some English surely? I thought you had to to gain entry visa to the States.

Crumpet: I don't think so, because I can't communicate with half the parents in the neighborhood. This is happening in the backyard, not at school, so I can't call the school, unfortunately.

send your kid to karate school.

Pleasuredome : This is a great idea! Someone at my work has just become an instructor. I will definitely look into this!!!

My mother had a good talk with her mother (don't know what she said though).

Cheeseman: I have to admit that I am no good at confrontation. Also, I was afraid that if I said something to the parent, he might pick on my son even more. I guess I have to bite the bullet and try my best to communicate with them!

My son came up with an interesting strategy. He would drool at the lip, roll his eyes, and drag one leg. If they asked him any questions, he would answer in nonsense. It freaked the bullies out, and they never bothered him again.

Jgnat: this is hilarious! You have some really great ideas, but this is awesome. He is quite the little actor, so he'd probably pull this one off brilliantly.

Have your son beat the crap out of the bully WITHOUT WARNING.

Minimus: I thought about this one, too, but unfortunately my son doesn't know how to fight, and I wouldn't want to teach him to do that. He's not even that good at kicking a soccer ball (yet!) I think that Pleasuredome's idea about karate will come in handy, though. Then he can at least defend himself and gain self-confidence!

Trouble is, bullies are the big guys!
    Ozzie : The funny thing is, this kid is a little bit smaller than my son! But way meaner!
  • minimus
    minimus

You have to teach him how to defend himself. He has to know that if he allows others to intimidate him----they will. Sorry, but we're in a different world today. Don't allow your son to lose his self-esteem.

• Nancy Drake
    Nancy Drake

Beachbender: Thank you for sharing your story with me. I feel like I want to solve the problem with the child without getting the parents involved, but it looks like I'm going to have to. I just hope that the parents don't react like what happened to you. I'm sorry for what you and your family are going through. ((((Beachbender))))

Crumpet you're a girl after my own heart. If someone was bullying my kid, I'd wear a mask over my face, getting the little bugger alone and scare the be-jeezus out of them........If he gets mouthy, slap the shit out of him, but make sure you're wearing gloves. Tell him that you're gonna be watching him and if he bullies ANYONE, you're coming looking for him with a bat.

Mary: This is exactly what is going through my head, but I have never laid a hand on my own son. I could never physically punish someone else's kid. It's a nice fantasy, though.

Elsewhere, Preston, and my breast friend Brooke: I love you guys for being protective! My heroes!!! I know y'all could teach this kid a thing or two.

Would it be possible to call the police to put a "LOT OF SCARE IN HIM".

Shania: If this kid steals anymore of my son's stuff, I'm going to.

KLS: Thank you for posting your experience. My heart just breaks for my son when he comes in crying, and it's just not right that he can't feel safe in his own backyard.

Scully: Thanks for the info and I would be grateful to see those links!!

ConfusedJW: I will have to see that movie!

ljwtiamb: Thanks for the suggestion. I know there just has to be an Awake! article around here somewhere about it...Young People Ask--Why Won't People Stop Picking on Me? Unfortunately, my son isn't being persecuted because of his steadfast beliefs.

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974
    This kid is 6 years old! I think of my little 5 yr old nephew and he is still such a baby! I would NEVER tell him to go beat the crap outta someone. It would take an innocence away before it's time. Mom and Dad's job to protect at this age as far as I am concerned

I understand where you are coming from and totally agree with you in one respect but the thought of my son or daughter being bullied however is far more sickening than the thought of him or her defending themselves...its the best of two evils Jez and bullies do not listen to reason, even moreso nowadays.

I was bullied for 5 years...if I had been taught to defend myself at an earlier age needless pain could have been avoided.

I do understand what you mean though...and dont discount your views in the slightest but needs must sometimes, the secret is giving them the tools to deal with issues intelligently and use violence as a last resort.

DB

• Nancy Drake
    Nancy Drake

bikerchic: Thank you for telling you experience from someone on the other side of the bullying. I can only hope that the parents will care as much as you did.

jeanniebeanz: I really like the idea of the camcorder!

bebu, evilforce & Dustin: Thanks you guys for more good input! thanks for the link, evilforce, I didn't know about that case!

For me, I would approach the little turd and tell him in that his behaviour is UNACCEPTABLE, that you will not tolerate it and if he touches/bugs your kid again, you are coming after him

Jez: This kid is such a punk that I don't think my threats would have any effect on him. He's so devious, he might go tell on me to his parents. Maybe that would be a good thing. I could then supply them with video tape of him being a jerk.

Love11: I'm starting to really get into the karate idea. My son needs to know how to defend himself.I LOVE a Christmas Story! That's a great scene!!!

Doubtfully and Diamondblue: Thanks for your advice and experiences!

Thank you to everyone for your great advice and responses!!!!!!!

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

Nancy, I really feel for you. I was frequently bullied as a kid - long before my JW days - and never had a clue what to do about it. By the time my kids had to deal with bullies, we were all jaydubs and our hands were tied. Hmmm... about that language barrier - you just came up with the idea yourself!

He's so devious, he might go tell on me to his parents. Maybe that would be a good thing. I could then supply them with video tape of him being a jerk.

Why wait? Just show up on their doorstep with your videocam and a big, big smile. Say "Look!", flip out the little viewscreen thingy, and press Play!

gently feral

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit