new information on disfellowshipping

by cr1234 15 Replies latest watchtower bible

• cr1234
    cr1234

Is it true that JW's are going to seek out inactive ones and if they are not willing to go back to the Kingdom Hall that they will be disfellowshipped? I heard that this is a new policy.

Thanks

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

cr1234

Some have that concern. I think the elders are too lazy to really do that though. There is no printed support to that that I have seen, just rumors.

BTW welcome to the forum.

Jeff

• TheListener
    TheListener

Welcome to the forum CR!

A new OM book was released in March. There have been several threads on it. Use the search feature and you will be able to put yourself at rest. The only change appears to be the words used to announce a df/da to the congregation.

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

On page 155 in the new OM book the phrase "or by their actions" (about people who do not want to be JWs anymore) is a broad enough term for elders to make announcements about those who do not want to return to the KH. i.e. "SoandSo are no longer one of Jehovah's Witnesses".

The verbal instructions coming down from headquarters through the Circuit Overseerer is to ask anyone who has "faded" away if they are going to return to the meetings, if not, then announce the above.

Time will tell how the elders use the new information. Of course the Society wants to weed out all the sucessful "faders" by such an announcement. And also they want the R & F to believe anyone announced as no longer being a JW was for *gasp* immorality and thus to be treated like all DF'd people.

It will be interesting to see how the people are going to respond to this control issue.

• Balsam
    Balsam

They already disfellowshipped my 17 son because he refused to go to meeings, talk to the Elders or otherwise have anything to do with any of it. The did try to talk to him but he refused. They announced that he was no longer a JW. No reason was ever given him for it, other than he would never return to the meetings. So the congregation we all used to be is is doing this.

• FairMind
    FairMind

Even though the OM book seems to indicate only a change in wording and not a change in reason for DA...ing and DF...ing my gut feel is that they have set the future stage for getting rid of anyone they believe is not fully committed. I think this even boils down to them eventually pushing out people who are active JWs but otherwise don't fit in.

• cyberguy
    cyberguy

Balsam, you've got to be kid'n me! On the other hand, nothing surpirses me any more! The JW-ORG is nothing but a demonic cult!

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

My brother has just had a run in with the borg last week. He has not been to a meeting in 6 1/2 years and he was told he needed to come before the elders..... I mean really have they run out of anything spiritually strengthening to do?

It's been 15 + years for me so I'm sure they will work their way throgh the pile to get to me.

• ezekiel3
    ezekiel3

Check out the entire procedures from the new OD book here: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/87606/1.ashx

or the pertinent details regarding DF/DA below:

IF THE DECISION IS TO DISFELLOWSHIP

In some cases the wrongdoer may become hardened in his course of sinful conduct and thus fail to respond to efforts to help him. Fruitage, or works, befitting repentance may not be in evidence, nor may genuine repentance be apparent at the time of the judicial hearing. What then? In such cases, it is necessary to expel the unrepentant wrongdoer from the congregation, thus denying him fellowship with Jehovah's clean congregation. This is done to remove the bad influence of the wrongdoer from the congregation, thereby safeguarding the moral and spiritual cleanness of the congregation and protecting its good name. (Deut. 21:20, 21; 22:23, 24) When the apostle Paul became aware of the shameful conduct of a member of the congregation in Corinth, he admonished the elders to "hand such a man over to Satan ... in order that the spirit [of the congregation] may be saved." (1 Cor. 5:5, 11-13) Paul also reported the disfellowshipping of others who had rebelled against the truth in the first century.?1 Tim. 1:20.

When a judicial committee concludes that an unrepentant wrongdoer should be disfellowshipped, it should let him know of the decision, clearly stating the Scriptural reason(s) for the disfellowshipping. When informing the wrongdoer of their decision, the judicial committee should tell him that if he believes that a serious error in judgment has been made and he wishes to appeal the decision, he may do so by writing a letter clearly stating the reasons for his appeal. He will be allowed seven days for this, from the time he was notified of the committee's decision. If such written appeal is received, the body of elders should contact the circuit overseer, who will designate elders to serve on an appeal committee to rehear the case. The elders selected to care for this weighty responsibility should be men who are experienced and qualified. Every effort should be made to conduct the appeal hearing within one week after the written appeal is received. If there is an appeal, announcement of the disf ellowshipping will be held in abeyance. In the meantime, the accused person will be restricted from commenting and praying at meetings or from special privileges of service.

An appeal is granted as a kindness to the accused and allows him a further hearing of his concerns. Thus, if he deliberately fails to appear at the appeal hearing, the disf ellowshipping should be announced after reasonable efforts have been made to contact him.

If the wrongdoer does not wish to appeal, the judicial committee should explain to him the need for repentance and what steps he can take toward being reinstated in due time. This would be both helpful and kind and should be done in the hope that he will change his ways and in time qualify to return to Jehovah's organization.?2 Cor. 2:6, 7.

ANNOUNCEMENT OF DISFELLOWSHIPPING

When it is necessary to disfellowship an unrepentant wrongdoer from the congregation, a brief announcement is made, simply stating: "[Name of person] is no longer one of Jehovah's Witnesses." There is no need to elaborate. This will alert faithful members of the congregation to stop associating with that person. (1 Cor. 5:11) The presiding overseer should approve this announcement.

DISASSOCIATION

The term "disassociation" applies to the action taken by a person who, although a baptized member of the congregation, deliberately repudiates his Christian standing, rejecting the congregation by his actions or by stating that he no longer wants to be recognized as or known as one of Jehovah's Witnesses. Because he is disassociated, his situation before Jehovah is far different from that of an inactive Christian, one who no longer shares in the field ministry. An inactive person may have failed to study God's Word regularly, or because of experiencing personal problems or persecution, he may have lost his zeal for serving Jehovah. The elders as well as other concerned members of the congregation will continue rendering appropriate spiritual assistance to an inactive brother. (Rom. 15:1; 1 Thess. 5:14; Heb. 12:12) However, the person who disassociates himself by repudiating the faith and deliberately abandoning Jehovah's worship is viewed in the same way as one who is disfellowshipped. A brief announcement is made to inform the congregation, stating: "[Name of person] is no longer one of Jehovah's Witnesses."

Concerning those who renounced their Christian faith in his day, the apostle John wrote: "They went out from us, but they were not of our sort; for if they had been of our sort, they would have remained with us." (1 John 2:19) For example, a person might renounce his place in the Christian congregation by his actions, such as by becoming part of a secular organization that has objectives contrary to the Bible and, hence, is under judgment by Jehovah God. (Isa. 2:4; Rev. 19:17-21) If a person who is a Christian chooses to join those who are disapproved by God, a brief announcement is made to the congregation, stating: "[Name of person] is no longer one of Jehovah's Witnesses." Such a person is treated in the same way as a disfellowshipped person. The presiding overseer should approve this announcement.

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

For example, a person might renounce his place in the Christian congregation by his actions, such as by becoming part of a secular organization that has objectives contrary to the Bible and, hence, is under judgment by Jehovah God. (Isa. 2:4; Rev. 19:17-21)

So does this mean the GB should be disfellowshipped for being a part of the UN?!?!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit