control

by John Doe 35 Replies latest jw friends

• John Doe
    John Doe

My post sounds much more positive than I actually am. Truthfully, I've been suicidal for a couple of years now. I suppose it's a feeling of pointlessness, like I can find no reason that anyone wants to live. Part of the cause was my loss of faith/change of beliefs, but the majority is the stress I'm under. Even now, I'm under stress. I'm taking 18 semester hours in college while working 3 part-time jobs. I get up at six and get off my last job at midnight.

I saw a psychiatrist for the first time in my life last week, and she prescribed some medication for me. Perhaps it will help--I don't know.

About being gay, I'm undecided whether it's right or wrong--but I really don't care because I don't have to worry about it. It's not my concern. I grew up thinking it was wrong (a teaching of the congregation), but now I'm questioning all my beliefs. I have enough trouble dealing with my own sexuality--it has such a negative stigma that really isn't natural, I think. I'm single, but am dealing with a break-up with one of my former professors--she's married. She was thinking of leaving her husband, and we were extrememly close for a long time. They reconciled, and that's been tough to deal with. But, I'm tired, think I'll go to bed.

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

John,

I know when I first started my doubting of the religion it was a difficult thing. It is like you can't believe anything anyone tells you and any organized religion is bunk because of your bad experience of your youth.

I am a doctor and can tell you from my own experience "YOU MUST TAKE CARE OF YOUR MENTAL AND EMOTIONAL HEALTH FIRST AND FOREMOST". It sounds like you have taken an important first step with getting some medication and seeing a doctor. Good for you. I neglected my mental health for many years by working 100 hour weeks...taking on the world....and just "pushing" thru my depression.

Because of my sexuality I tried so hard for God to fix me. I remember when I was 12, 13 and 14 having an interest in boys and feeling ashamed and dirty because of it. I got baptized at 16 and swore off any sexual contact of any sort. I went almost 18 months without masterbating. I prayed EVERY morning when I woke up...when i went to bed...and many times in between. I went to high school and auxillary pioneered. I went to every meeting. I got lots of responsibilites in the Congo. I just wanted my "gay" feelings to go away. I was told over and over that praying would help. I did everything in my power to make these feelings go away. I was an early bloomer and had full sexual development by about 13.... so not having sex or masterbating at 16 was a huge burden. I HATED myself. Apparently God hated me too cause he didn't fix me. I did everything he asked me to and everything the WTS said to do. I went 4 years from baptism before I gave in and had sex with another boy. I got tired of feeling worthless and alone.

I couldn't tell my parents or witness friends what I was going thru because they'd turn me in and I'd get booted out. I saw this happen to a good friend of mine going thru the same thing. This was the start of the end for my believing. Why would God make me with these feelings? I wasn't abused as a boy....I wasn't sexualized at an early age... it was who I was to the very core.

So, if you need someone to talk to drop me a line and I'll give you my phone #....

Hang in there things will get better I promise :)

• AuntieJane
    AuntieJane

John Doe, Welcome. Your story was beyond belief, how much can be put on a young person blows my mind. You deserve praise for getting to the point where you are. And I am pleased to know you are seeing a psychiatrist. Taking steps like that toward healing is such an important part of getting on with life, after experiences such as you went through.

It's late and I'm tired, too. So I will say, Take care; stay with your therapist; the med will kick in and hopefully help you. If you are able to ease up some on the load you are carrying, please do. I know there is a lot of negativity on this board, but people have been damaged in many different ways. You can find healing here if you have time to stay around.

Shalom,

auntieJ

• alw
    alw

John Doe - welcome to the board!!!

It was a heartwrenching story but very well written and thought out - I believe you have the guts to go along in life and enjoy - something a lot of us have difficulty with - the future holds a lot for us and life is precious. I am so glad you have come to the board - I'm sure (although you have found a few negative comments) you will get lots of encouragement and positive feedback - continue posting - look forward to your many posts.

Thankyou again - alw

• John Doe
    John Doe

Thanks for the welcome guys. I suppose I don't really feel like part of any group right now though. Here's a short story I wrote in Fall of '03. It captures a small bit of the dark feelings. Couldn't sleep--that happens sometimes. :-)

The Climb

The young man stared out into the blackness, and the dark shadowed the world. He could not see, but he could feel. Stretching his arms out in front of him, he felt cold, hard rock; behind he felt hot, sticky worm-laden soil. His breath spewed out in streaks on the night air, and his frustration fought with his fear for front and center. As he turned to the left, he felt his foot kick a rock, and heard no sound as it landed far below. He turned the opposite direction, and found himself face to face with a smooth, glassy mirror, whose dim light portrayed the gray sky that was barely visible above.

A withered, rasping, hacking voice began talking, and he turned quickly to find an old, old man peevishly grinning at him. The old man said, ?Hello, son. I have a job for you to do, and when you?ve completed this task, you?ll be happy. Take this rock, and carry it with you as high as you can climb, and then place it where you like.? The old man then handed him the rock, and a small hammer to bust and climb his way to the top. ?And remember,? the man said, ?I?ll be watching everything you do.? With a fiendish laugh, the old man disappeared.

Although frightened, the young man felt somehow comforted that someone had felt him worthy of such a task. He felt the rock with his hands, and felt some letters etched in it. He could not read them, however, because the darkness was so vast. He tied the rock to his back with a rope he used as a belt, and began climbing the rocky wall. For endless hours he struggled to find handholds, using his hammer to bust crevices in the damp darkness. His fingers bled and his mind ached, but on he struggled. He kept thinking of the happiness the old man had promised. Periodically, he would find rats burrowed in small holes, and he ate them raw--he was starving. As the maroon, greenish blood dripped down his chin, he wondered if there was anything else he would ever find for nourishment. On and on he struggled, and days turned into months and months into years. The closer he came to the top, the more a dim green tinted ray of light illuminated the rock.

One day, he started to meet other climbers. Some of them were old and crippled, and some had fallen and were lying dead. All of them had a sad look on their face, and all of them carried large rocks. One girl he met told him of the top, that she had been. She told him of the endless green meadows and the laughter of children, and how there was a beauteous glow of light. ?Once you make the top, all your troubles are over.? she said. She had been, but had come down looking for her son who never made it. They shared a mama rat, and the young man went on with a renewed vigor.

The young man was no longer young, and he had a long, flowing white beard. He didn?t count time anymore, all he knew was an endless repetition. Bloody hands, bruised heels and feet, and swollen, bloody rats were his life. The light had increased, but the darkness would never leave. The cliff had grown sharp with rocks, and the hammer had worn out. While in a state of despair, the weird old man appeared again, and said ?You?ve worked hard, I have a new hammer for you. I know it?s smaller, but you?re lucky I?m helping you at all. Just think, when you reach the top, you?ll be happy.? And he vanished as quickly as he appeared.

The old man pushed upward, ever clinging to his hope and purpose. The light had increased to where he could almost read the writing on the stone. He grew excited with the realization that he would soon achieve his goal. All his hard work would be worth his trouble, and he would find happiness. Long nights of suffering pain would yield to peaceful, summer afternoons in complete bliss; although he had never felt the summer sun and had never seen the light of day. He would realize the fruits of his labor, and all of his toil would be rewarded. Onward he struggled with his little hammer. Sparks flew from the little hammer and ignited the stagnant, gaseous air--the same air he?d been breathing all his life. The heat boiled his blood, and sweat ran in little streams into his eyes and off of his nose. Yet onward he climbed faithful to his commission.

And then, weather-beaten and weary, he pulled his aching body over the last jagged edge of rock between him and the top. Taking the stone and planting it in the ground, he could now read the words in the pale light of day. Carved in the face of the time-weathered stone were the words ?Rest in Peace.? A sinister voice boomed out of the frigid air in a bone-chilling laugh, a cold wind howled and sent him flying into the precipice, and he realized that he was happy: the climb was over.

• Carmel
    Carmel

Actually Johny, there is relatively little hatred on this board. As a matter of fact, it is more loving and supporting than most JW congregations. Me thinks you are not agreeing with conclusions that are strongly stated, hence, you see it as hatred when it is simply something you take umbrige with..

If you are too lazy to seek truth, then best drop out of college as you are not only spending time but good money. Truth is, you have a twinge of Jw still in ya!

carmel

• John Doe
    John Doe

Thanks Carmel, you have a great day also. :-) I'm not spending money on college. As I said, I have a full-tuition merit-based scholarhip. In fact, I'm being paid to go to school. Before calling a person lazy, I think knowing them in person would be a good idea. I'll not get into bickering over what is hatred or not, but I thik a person with an open mind can see the mocking, obsessive quality of many of the posts here. If you'll actually read my posts, you'll see that I don't agree with the witnesses on much.

• Thegoodgirl
    Thegoodgirl

I didn't read the other replies, but want to say Welcome, and hope you read more. I too didn't hate the Witnesses when I first got out, but as I have been out for about 5 years now (I'm your age), I am starting to get more negative. Also, keep in mind your experience with the JWs themselves sounds positive, others have had horrible experiences with JWs.

So sorry about your recent troubles. Its hard when family member has permenant change in mental status, my sister did too, and it is such a stress, has changed the family forever. Glad you're back in school.

So I think just keep in mind that you are right for appreciating the loving people you were surrounded with in your childhood and youth. But it's too bad that these rules/The Society has had such an invasive effect on the minds of otherwise good and sincere people. I think individual witnesses are just like everyone: some sincere, some not so nice. But when they get something in their head, for example to shun someone like yourself who may need help and support, they turn into something that they wouldn't have normally been.

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

John,

We all must find our own way. If you find this site to be negative or unhealthy for you in any way you should limit or eliminate you contact. But you seem to think that people here are more judgemental than the Witnesses themselves. In my posts above I asked you to consider other points of view.

If someone called you lazy...taking 18 credits and working 3 jobs....they need to be smacked. I worked my way thru med school and 18 credits + any job at all is overwhelming....how you can work at all taking 18 hours is amazing. For anyone who hasn't been to college the ratio of homework to hours is usually 2 to 3 hours per 1 hour of class. So if you are taking 15 hours that is 30 to 45 hours of study on top of the 15 hours of class. Plus work. It's alot. You have my respect John.

• John Doe
    John Doe

Thanks EvilForce. Like most places, I see good and bad here. The intention of my post was to try to help any I can to see that maybe they're holding on a bit too tight. I know I'm not in much of a place to give advice though. :-) Actually, the homework's not bad. I've got 3 2000 level lit classes this semester and the reading is light. I've got a Calculus course and a Spanish course. Spanish is what's killing me 'cause I lack the motivation to study it everyday, and my memory isn't what it used to be.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit