control

by John Doe 35 Replies latest jw friends

• John Doe
    John Doe

Firt of all, a bit of background. I'm 26 years old, am a Math major/English minor senior on a full scholarhip in college, was raised as one of Jehovah's Witnesses, babtized when I was 18, left at ~ 22/23, am now agnostic/deist/confused.

I was raised on a farm in a witness family. My childhood was mostly happy--the congregation and my family were some of my best friends and mentors. However, I was diagnosed with diabetes when I was 5 years old which is an immuno-deficiency disease which steemed from a bout with scarlet fever.

At 14, my father and sister were in an extremely serious car-accident, with forever-changed personalities and dismal prospects. My father was unconscious for several months, and he still requires 24/7 care. His severe head injury rendered him almost impossible to live with. He is only now able to remain calm for more than 5 minutes at a time.

I tried to take care of the family farm, and I actually made it for a couple of years; however I dropped out of school from stress and time constraints and the farm went bankrupt anyway when cattle prices dropped. I nearly died at age 18 from graves disease--a thyroid disorder which cased me to lose massive ammounts of weight while eating copious amounts of food and having a pulse that never retarded below 200, and absobnia which caused me to stay awake 23 hours out of every day. Needless to say, I was under a lot of stress. I had to quit my job as an HVAC techinician because of health. I'll not go into any details here, there are many, but I'm just trying to convey some of the stress I was under. The congregation was an invaluable asset during this time. They didn't just help my family, they felt our pain. They were friends when we needed friends most. I still admire every one of them for what they did and I always will.

Now I come to my complicated feelings regarding witnesses. I admire them for standing up for their beliefs--I wish more people would. However, they do have a way of making thier members feel inadequate. Of course, I think most people feel inadequate, but the high expectations of Jehovah's Witnesses only exacerbates this feeling when many members inevitably fail to live up to their goals. But, is it better to have goals too high, or to have none so we'll never fail? I believe the former is better, but herein lies the conflict. When goals run contrary to what a person believes, then beliefe must change. Mine have.

I've decided that truth is an intangible constant that can never be constant in human minds. All we have is our perception, which changes from person to person when viewed through our individual filters on our world. I've given up on finding truth. Perhaps I'm lazy, but sobeit. I can no longer ponder incessantly on matters on which I'll never have definitive proof. Such effort is like trying to push over a brick wall, or, more likely, like having a complex logic puzzle with no answer. With no answer, there can be no satisfaction, with no answer, there can be little aside from frustration.

So, I'm no longer a Christian. Having to give up the friendship of the congregations has been tough, but I don't blaime them for my decision. I've never felt brainwashed. I freely chose to serve a God; now I freely choose not to. I don't blaime Jehovah's Witness for not helping me more--I know, as my friends, they helped me as much as was possible. I didn't sit on my rear and complain that no one was coming to help me. Knowing their dismay of my current beliefs is not only a source of pain for me, but for them as well. But that is life. I knew full well when I dedicated my life to Jehovah that I was putting that dedication ahead of every other thing, and I expect no less from the other Witnesses who still beleive. I know that their compromising their faith by speaking with me would be a cause of great turmoil for them. Why should I hate them for that?

Well, guys, I've spent some time reading the posts here, and I'm highly bothered by the negativity I'm feeling. A common theme seems to be that the Witnesses exert too much control over members. Interestingly, do you think you're not being controlled by your incessant hatred on this site? Why not let things go?

Here's what I think. I think everyone here (including myself) feels inadequate. I think many here resent Witnesses because they were made to feel inadequate. But, I don't think blaiming the Witnesses for feelings of inadequacy is fair. No friends, that feeling of inadequacy will be present no matter your course in life. I think people become Witnesses from a deep-seated dissonance of the world and all that's wrong with the world. We are much too easily pessimistic. Why do you think the Utopia of paradise was so appealing?

That's the core problem methinks. We must learn to be happy with our surroundings. We must learn to look for the good in people rather than the bad. I implore you, don't hate. If you feel bitter towards Witnesses, try to think of the better understanding you now have of human nature that you wouldn't have gained without them. Open yourself to other possibilities. Don't diss your former friends for not being perfect. Remember, they're exerting just as much effort to be happy as you are. While it may feel they hate you--they don't. They're petrified of your new beliefs. They still want to help you, but they don't know how.

When my mother died of cancer in '93 (I've never been dissfellowshipped), many Witnesses came and tried to console me. That was a damned hard time for me. I had to watch my mother die slowly over a year, screaming in agony for death near the end. I can't describe the torture I felt when my former brothers and sisters would come up to me and say things like "It's only temporary, we'll see her again." Could I dismay them by telling them I didn't believe? No. Did it hurt like Hell to hear these words? Yes. Did I appreciate their intentions? Yes. I think the most depressing thing in my life now is knowing that Mom died thinking she would be resurrected. But I would suffer many times worse to give her the peace of mind that her belief did.

Well, I've got a lot more I could say, but I'm wore out. Please pardon any typos, as I just typed this and didn't proofread anything. I guess the salient point I'm trying to convey is please, ladies and gentlemen, find and regain the love in your hearts you once had. Don't despise and hate people who stand for their beliefs, even when those beliefs are different from your own. Rather, despise apathy and indifference. In the end, I think it's love in our hearts that matters the most; afterall, we're all in the same boat.

• John Doe
    John Doe

Mom died in '03, not '93. That was a typo.

• kls
    kls

Welcome JD ,sorry i did not read youre post yet ,i wanted to say hi first,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, hi

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Welcome to the board! And I am so sorry to hear about your mother. Mine died two months ago but mercifully she was mostly unaware of her situation (she had Alzheimer's for 10 years before her death).

I think you're looking at life from a pretty good place right now -- you've made your peace with life and God (or lack thereof). A lot of people who come here, however, are full of hurt and the anger is raw and bitter. This is a place for them to vent and I can see where it would seem very negative at times. However, anger is a part of healing, just like sadness and even denial at times.

In any case, welcome! You might find the "Best of" section interesting, as one of our long-time and most organized posters put all of the really helpful threads in one place where we could look things up by subject.

Look forward to hearing from you!

Nina

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Thank-you for posting your story and your message of love. Hope you post some more.

purps

• Bryan
    Bryan

Hello John Doe,

Welcome to the forum. I understand exactly what you are saying, though, you have to realize, we have had different experiences. You obviously had a great support group around you, but what about those who were sexually abused by those in the congregation; Elders even? Those who have lost loved ones because of the witness shunning policy? Those who have lost loved ones because of the blood policy?

Everyone has a different experience and deals with it differently.

Glad to have you!

Bryan

Have You Seen My Mother

• Undecided
    Undecided

I agree with most of what you said. I don't have hatred toward any of my former associates in the congregation. I feel sorry for some of them because of what they gave up for the sake of the society's interest. I don't like the control that many religions have over their members. I haven't been hurt by the shunning policy as some have that has caused so much family grief. I can understand their hatred of the rules that cause this and the ones that enforce it.

I've decided that truth is an intangible constant that can never be constant in human minds. All we have is our perception, which changes from person to person when viewed through our individual filters on our world. I've given up on finding truth. Perhaps I'm lazy, but sobeit. I can no longer ponder incessantly on matters on which I'll never have definitive proof. Such effort is like trying to push over a brick wall, or, more likely, like having a complex logic puzzle with no answer. With no answer, there can be no satisfaction, with no answer, there can be little aside from frustration.

I agree with you on this, I don't think anyone will ever find the truth about life and it's origin and purpose. I think about it alot but have given up on finding the real verifiable answer.

Welcome aboard.

Ken P.

• John Doe
    John Doe

Perhaps not seeing experiences through others' eyes is a common human folly. Sexual abuse is a great crime, and I in no way mean to lessen or undermine the legitamacy of the suffering such victims have endured. Regarding blood issues, what's more important. Living a long life compromising your core beliefs (even if they're wrong), or living a shortened live being true to yourself? I know that blood is a complex issue, but I can see both sides. As far as shunning--I'm now shunned, just not officially. I've had many relatives lost when they went "astray." I've been on both sides, and neither one was a pleasant experience. Such is life.

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

John Doe,

Welcome and thanks for your personal story. I think for a long while I felt as you do. I think everyone on here will agree that there are some really awesome, loving Witnesses and not all Witnesses are mindless drones.

I left 15 years ago without much drama...did the slow fade and moved across the country to get away from it all. I thought for lots of years people writing books, being on this board and such shoud "just move on with life". I thought haven't the Witnesses caused enough damage in your life why waste any more time / effort relating to this???

If you read some of the stories on here you will see that most were not treated in the same, loving manner you were...according to your story. Most were tossed aside and stomped on. As an elder's son, and being around the "truth" growing up I did see quite a bit of unloving activity.....or at least can identify it now that I'm older.

I only started reading this site and whatnot when after 15 years of not being to a meeting on a regular basis a couple of things happened. An elder called me out of the blue for some "wrongdoing" I did 17 years prior. This wasn't the first time I was called. I got called a few times before that about some "wrongdoing" I supposedly knew something about. It was about 6 years after not being to a meeting an elder found out I was in town visiting my parents and called me and the first thing he said is "What do you know about So and So's sexual activity from 1992?" Not how are you. Not any niceties.

I only wanted to be left alone. I don't belief what the Witnesses preach. Just let me be. I don't care about ANYTHING going on...why are you bothering me about something I supposedly did when I was 20 ?!? My parents from time to time would tell me smugly that so and so's son / daughter were getting divorced, being DF"d, got pregnant, and I'd have to keep telling them I couldn't care less much less barely remember some of these people.

But the final straw was when last fall my parents wanted to quote scripture at me about my lifestyle. I am gay. They had laid in wait and ambushed me with scripture. Now I had reconciled my lifestyle with biblical teachings many, many years ago. My parents treated my boyfriends and what not like pink elephants in the room. If we don't talk about them it doesn't exist. I always bit my tongue around them and never, ever said what I thought of their beliefs because I always thought "Hey it ain't for me why shake someone else's belief system." During this ambush they asked me how I couldn't believe it was the "troof". I told them I thought the blood issue was bunk, 1914 was idiotic, and the flip flopping of the end of the system from the WTS was unbelievable. They of course gave me the "God hasn't changed his time frame etc..., etc" Some of the things they told me too just blew me away. I had been away for so long they have "whitewashed" their old teachings yet again. Well I remember what they used to preach, and brought these points up to them. They didn't remember these teachings somehow....

So now my elder brother in law is trying also to prohibit my brother from seeing my nieces. His crime? He lived with his girlfriend for a few months 2 years ago. They aren't seeing each other anymore and he is single. Keep in mind that he has not set foot in a KH in 6 1/2 years! So the WTS just won't let me be. Ok, FINE, BRING IT ON! I have begun my research for my book I'm writing.

But I digress.... So John some people need to vent on here to feel like they aren't the only crazy ones who got sucked in. To have people understand what it's like being on the outside. Also, I would say that a fair bit of the posts on here were written tongue in cheek, and the people who wrote them not really that bitter in real life. Everyone deals with leaving "high control" groups differently. So while it may not be for you, please respect the outlet for others. Also, you may be like me.... At some point you may circle around to this and need a site / people like this.

But good for you in your life search and your confidence in your life plan. It sounds like you have had a very tough life and have become a "diamond" in the rough from the tribulations you have suffered. May you find every happiness your heart desires :)

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

Welcome John! You seem to have approached things from a very logical, human standpoint. You decided at one point to serve God, then you decided you couldn't ever really determine how to serve him or if he even wanted to be served (or if he even exists) and now you've decided to live your life as it seems best to do. To say you've got a good head on your shoulders is to understate the matter.

The fact that you never felt compelled to yank the rug out from other people's lives just says you've decided you're no more "right" than they are. Right for you isn't right for them. Live and let live. What better attitude could you take?

Interestingly, do you think you're not being controlled by your incessant hatred on this site? Why not let things go?

I'm torn. I WANT to help other people enjoy their lives as much as I have after leaving the Watchtower. But I know any attempt on my part to "help" will be viewed as an attack. There's almost no options available in that course. I want to help people that have never been Witnesses to see why they don't ever want to join. That at least seems to be possible, but the vast majority of people would never have any interest in "the truth" anyway, so that too seems fruitless.

I've come to pretty much the same conclusion as you. Let it go.

Peace, Dude.

Dave

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit