How long is a cotton picking minute?

by Elsewhere 34 Replies latest jw friends

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    Much much, shorter than a coon's age.

what do you mean by this?

=====

This refers to the lifespan of a Raccoon.

-Elsewhere, of the Born and Raised in Texas so I Otta Know class.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

Lol, Hil! Yes, you're right. Constantly having to order soda due to non-sweetened tea has never made any sense to me. Then again, I've been wanting to move south for quite some time now. And well, growing up, everyone kept instant tea in their house.

I haven't a clue how long a raccoon lives! 'Coon' is an old derrogatory word from what I was taught...though I understand it's meant here as just what it's short for!

I have always understood it to be a euphemism " for wait a god damn minute" because anybody from the south knows that you just dont say GD
    I used to catch heat from a friend of mine for that, too.
  • bem
    bem

I had to look the phrase up Elsewhere, it was like one of those questions that you play around with and can't articulate till you search for it. I agree with the

Heres what I found:
    Cliché:Just a cotton pickin' minute here
    Explanation: 1. Stop! I believe something is happening that is unfair to me.

United States

Ok Yall having spent most of my life in Georgia. Ive heard the term " wait just a cotton pickin minute " plenty of times. I have always understood it to be a euphemism " for wait a god damn minute" because anybody from the south knows that you just dont say GD

Yeah ya'll having spent most of my life in Oklahoma I agree with lilbit, But I never associated either 'coons age' or Cotton pickin minute with anything to do with racism, Most of my folks are white and there are some that aren't.In fact my family is rainbow, Rainbows mean promise I believe. well, they all picked cotton by hand or by machinery. side by side with people of color. the younger of us carried water to the ones that worked. And if we disrespected anyone no matter the color, they would bust your butt! Then you get your butt busted again when you got home. So the rascism thing implied here didn't come from the folks I learned it from. Nor do I think Elsewhere meant that or implied it.

I was thinkin' of another phrase "bless your pea pickin' heart" believed to be coined by Tennessee Ernie Ford Cool I thought.( Old, I mean Old Tennessee Ernie Ford Fan. I can say old today it's my birthday)

BEMsMom feeling her age & being sassy about turning cliches, euphamisms into thangs they aint.

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug

Elsewhere... I heard a great one here in Texas yesterday, .. "like a duck lookin for thunder!" Ever hear that one. I am guessing it means the person is pretty lost?

• Lehaa
    Lehaa

cotton pickin minute........ is that anything like a nose picking minute

Sorry tired and silly.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit