Enquiring minds and all that...

by ConcernedMom 14 Replies latest jw friends

• ConcernedMom
    ConcernedMom

Maybe a stupid question but what happens to the leftover emblems after the Memorial?
    Are they given any significance outside of the Memorial (like the bread and wine that has been blessed in a Catholic mass) and saved for next year? Or taken home and consumed by someone? Or disposed of?
    Just curious...

• upside/down
    upside/down

Nope... nothing special.

Eat drink and be merry

u/d

• tyydyy
    tyydyy

Good question. This is a section of my memory that's still in intact. :) I can remember as a kid that when the memorial was over my dad (who purchased the Manashevitz) took the bottle home and we all got a sip. A few of us kids were given the crackers after the ceremony. They tasted like cardboard.

I somehow felt annointed by partaking of the bread and wine. LOL ......I'm not sure how to explain it but for a day or two I felt kinda like I had won the immunity charm on Survivor. :)

TimB

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

My dad was responsible for them for a long time. My mom shopped for them. They went unconsumed after the memorial. They just couldn't bring themselves to eat and drink of the "leftover emblems" and couldn't bring themselves to throw them out until they got "stale".

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

One of the fun things that went on in the area I lived was the party after the Memorial at one of the Elders house. The leftover wine and crackers were served along with other goodies. This was by invite only and the party started as soon as the first Memorial celebration was over. We had four or five Congregations that shared the same double Kingdom Hall so after each Memorial ended the goods would show up and be consumed.

The host got all the flowers from the Memorial too which made for a festive celebration look. It was especially informative when the Circuit Overseer was serving, lots of Bethel gossip and District gossip. Yeah don't think it doesn't happen......LOL!

I always felt so spiritual after drinking the wine, the crackers were good with some good cheese spreads on them too.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I can assure everybody the wine is not wasted but drunk by a few "in" elders

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier
    One of the fun things that went on in the area I lived was the party after the Memorial at one of the Elders house. The leftover wine and crackers were served along with other goodies. This was by invite only and the party started as soon as the first Memorial celebration was over. We had four or five Congregations that shared the same double Kingdom Hall so after each Memorial ended the goods would show up and be consumed.

Biker, sounds like the last supper after the Last Supper!

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

LOL @ Brenda!

Biker, sounds like the last supper after the Last Supper!

Yeah it was for sure one of those elitist things with the cliquey (sp?) groups in the area.......it got old real fast with me, feelings were hurt by those not invited and egos stroked by those who were, and so the story goes.....made me not look forward to the Memorial due to the aftermath of the Last Supper!

• ConcernedMom
    ConcernedMom

Any particular kind of cracker or just whatever the person shopping chose to buy? Seems to me that if you knew you were going to eat them after, you'd buy something yummy..not ones that tasted like cardboard...

• avishai
    avishai
    Or taken home and consumed by someone?

I remember as a kid in the 70's having some of the matzohs and wine afterward, as it was no longer "holy" or whatever. No big deal in that cong. Of course it was a "laid back" cong. in California

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit