I NEED HELP

by Shawn 70 Replies latest jw experiences

• Carmel
    Carmel

First of all Shawn, you can't save others, you can only save yourself. Since you have so much time on your hands, how about helping out at a soup kitchen or at goodwill? Don't waste your time trying to be the "saviour"! He'll tell you when he wants your help. If you think He's already enlisted you to go "save JW's then ask Him how. Why would you query mere mortals?

carmel of the "been there done that" class

• JW83
    JW83

I'm sure that your brand of Christianity is so much better than anyone elses ... (NOT)

Jayne (of the 'you sound a little patronising' class)

• ivy
    ivy

Shawn, to a great degree, the posts here are correct. You can not save someone from being a JW. I remember my own experiences with anyone who tried to talk me out of it just made me more determined to stay in the religion. Do not get into religious debates. JW's are warned that people will try to divert their faith by doing so. Instead, just show your friend that you are a good person. I remember that part of what made me leave was that fact that I had met many good people who were not JW's. I had friends who were Jewish, Catholic, gay, and atheist, and at some point I became too angry with the system to stick with it. My friends were not trying to get me out though. They accepted me for whatever I was. If you want to be a good friend, accept your friend in the same way.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Shawn, I am a regular Christian married to a JW. I have been a good witness to my husband these past five years. He is still with the JW?s. But he must admit that my Christianity is honest and true. The road you have ahead of you is full of pitfalls. You must do careful research beyond the bible and become an expert on what the JW?s believe. Work out what is subtly wrong with their doctrines. Be clear in your heart what makes you a Christian. Be brave enough to allow your friend the free will to take their own path.

You will also have to learn a whole new way of talking to people about your faith, because Truth to you means something completely different to a JW. You are using trigger-words that will get a violent reaction you are not prepared for. You also have to get used to dialogue, which includes long pauses where you allow the other person to think and respond.

You are receiving excellent advice here. These are some of my favorites:

Brummie

you personally cant save anyone, you can only have faith that God will save the ones you pray for.

JWs are trying to save themselves, the best you can do is be of gentle persuasion, dont cristisise, dont try to grab them out. Just become knowledgable and let them see that what you have is better.

ivy

Do not get into religious debates. ... Instead, just show your friend that you are a good person. I remember that part of what made me leave was that fact that I had met many good people who were not JW's. I had friends who were Jewish, Catholic, gay, and atheist ... They accepted me for whatever I was. If you want to be a good friend, accept your friend in the same way.
  • Shawn
    Shawn

Wow, I am surprised that I am not getting that much support. I understand that I need to be there for my friend. I always have been there and always will. I know that I cannot approach her the way that it seems I would based on my posts. I know that knowledge will help me and that I need to learn more. I know that only by Christ can you be saved. As for my religion being better, I never said that. I never implied that I had a "religion". I have faith in Christ and want her to truly place her faith there not in an orginization. Am I wrong for this? I thought that we were supposed to help our neighbors. I know that since I have never been a JW I cannot understand their mentality. That is why I am asking for help. If I can help even just my friend then I have helped someone. I never said I wanted to be a "saviour" I never implied that I was one. I am reading the postings here and I was incouraged by what I read and thought that people having been there would want to see the same done for others. I am doing this to save someone I care about from feeling shame for being my friend and feeling like she cannot rely on anyone outside of the JWs. I want her to be truly happy and know that there are people who are not JWs that are good. I do feel like God wants me to do this and maybe by saying mission I was a little arrogant sounding. I just want to help someone I care about and maybe help others if I can. It seems like from the responses I have been getting maybe I am wrong and there is nothing I can do. If so that is a shame, good people are feeling like they have no other choice. Check out this site: http://www.starcantdead.com/sketches/kissinghanksass.html

• NewLight2
    NewLight2

Hi Shawn and welcome to JWD!

As a non-JW Christian, I think I know where you are coming from.

My first piece of advice to you is to start at the beginning of the JWD archives and read, Read, and do more READING. This excerise will allow you to be able to 'think like a JW' without actually being one.

When you have read something in the archives that you want to discuss further here, post a new topic with your questions and join in the discussion with current members of the board.

When you have finished reading the archives you will have a lot of your current questions answered for you.

NewLight2

• AuntieJane
    AuntieJane

Hi and Welcome. I know how you feel about wanting to help your friend SO badly. You are not alone. Realize that many here have come to accept that the JW brainwashed mind is a tough nut to crack, as someone once told me years ago. They were so right. However, I do believe in Hope, and I believe there is a strength that comes from the Holy Spirit to guide those of us who are open to accepting that guidance. That is IMO. Pray for strength, go slowly with your friend.

Have you asked her just what it was about the Memorial that drew her back? Or just what drew her out in the first place? Do you understand what is "celebrated" at the Memorial yourself? Feel free to email me if you want to discuss.

Shalom, AuntieJ

• NewLight2
    NewLight2

Shawn,

Another thing that you are most likey unaware of is that JW's and most ex-JW's do NOT hold 'Born-Agains' aka BA's in very high esteem.

A current JW will dismiss what you have to say regarding 'the salvation issue' as coming from 'Babalyon the Great' aka FALSE RELIGION.

An ex-JW will dimiss what you have to say regarding 'the salvation issue' and view it as 'jumping from the frying pan into the fire'. Most ex-JW's want nothing more to do with 'organized religion'. They will however seek to find their own way to get closer to Jehovah.

Also in this same line of thinking - most JW's and ex-Jw's will still reject any notion of 'The Trinity'. You are best to leave that subject alone.

NewLight2

• seven006
    seven006

New Light,

***Most ex-JW's ..... will however seek to find their own way to get closer to Jehovah.***

No disrespect intended but this does not fit "most" exJW thinking. Many of us have examined the world and it's history outside of the christian take on the myth and do not believe in Jahoba or even Christ for that matter. If you can prove to us, outside of the christian twist on history that the mythical character of Jesus ever existed, maybe some of us will listen. So far, no one has. There is history of the world and the Bibical/christian take on the history of the world. They do not match up.

Dave

• Shawn
    Shawn

I am aware that the trinity issue is closed and not to be spoken of. She said that the sense of "family" is what she missed and I suspect that is the "love bomb" that is often spoke of. She stopped going because she felt restricted and wanted more space. From what I know the Memorial is an observance of Christ's death and that The Last Supper is reinacted? to a degree. Am I right? There isn't much on the web about their rituals(sorry to use the term but couldn't think of a better one).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit