I have been reading COC

by fairy 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Amazing1914
    Amazing1914

Noumenon,

COC is good but a lot of what it deals with can be found on the internet. I enjoyed In Search of Christian Freedom better.

You have to be kidding! CoC was published in 1983 before the Internet took off. What is found on the Internet in the years since have little to do with CoC. Anything on the Internet that resembles CoC likely used CoC as its source. What makes CoC authoritative is that it is written by a former GB member. Nothing on the Internet has any equivalency. I likewise greatly enjoyed In Search because it went to the next level, and pointed the way to Christ. After reading it, I commenced my plans to leave the organization. Jim W.

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

Amazing,

I agree 100% with your post.

• jt stumbler
    jt stumbler

As a former JW, I remember always telling the householder; If you want to know what a JW believes, ask one. Thats why I decided to read COC.

• FairMind
    FairMind

Strange as it might seem, Ray Franz remained one of Jehovahs Witnesses until he was disfellowshipped. Otherwise I imagine he would be one today. I view Ray as the voice of reason and fairness.

• Poztate
    Poztate
    You have to be kidding! CoC was published in 1983 before the Internet took off. What is found on the Internet in the years since have little to do with CoC. Anything on the Internet that resembles CoC likely used CoC as its source.

Amazing 1914 has it right.You have to go to the root of the matter to get the facts.Ray was at the pinnacle of power and saw how the GB really worked.He showed where they have failed and how they have failed.There can be no rebuttal of the facts expressed by him and the GB has given none. Once you read and study with an open mind COC you can and will never go back.

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

Fairmind,

I would like your advice please, intrigued by your profile. Should I try to dissuade my friend from getting baptised this summer?

• The Leological One
    The Leological One

^ bump for jaffacake~!

• Mary
    Mary

I was completely stunned and shocked when I first read CoC. The whole Malawi thing bothered me enormously and I shed many tears realizing how many brothers and sisters died over there because of one asshole on the Governing Body, who decided to change his vote at the last minute denying them the right to carry the Party Card that the government required.

If the whole Ray Franz business had happened in 2005 instead of 1981, there would have been a far greater fallout. In 1981, we didn't have the internet and it was almost impossible to find out what had really happened. All I remember hearing at the Hall was how one of the Governing Body members had turned "apostate", had gotten others to follow him and how they were all protesting out front of Bethel wearing paper bags over their heads.

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

I see there are some Aussie posters here. I have had trouble getting my hands on one of these books. I have ordered it through a christian bookshop but they've told me it a 4 month wait! I've ordered one now I'm sitting here waiting

Anyone know where else I might get my hands on one a little quicker?

• Quotes
    Quotes

misspeaches,

you could try ordering it direct from the publisher:

http://www.commentarypress.com/

Might be faster than 4 months. Also, try your local library; if they don't have it ask them if they can get it from another library.

~Quotes, of the "try the UN library too" class

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit