Media interest in Australia

by Lehaa 20 Replies latest jw experiences

• itsallgoodnow
    itsallgoodnow

good on you, Lehaa!

Sex abuse is definitely a problem, but people should be made aware of a lot of other things, too. It's good to see your community is trying to help people become aware of dangerous cults like this one, which grossly misrepresents itself as innocent and pure.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Please pass this along to them. It is the last letter I sent to my parents. I have not heard from them since.

Dear [Parent's Names], July, 4, 2004

I am writing to let you know that I find your actions to be very confusing. I have been trying to understand why you would spend years shunning me, only to call me from time to time wanting to know why I am not in your life and to tell me that you miss me.

The answer to the question of why I am not in your life is very simple: You are shunning me. You have rejected me and pushed me out of your life. If you miss me, it is a result of your own actions, not mine. I terminated my association with a publishing corporation in New York. Are you really unable to see in your mind the difference between a publishing corporation and yourself?

You have always been the ones to shun me. I spent four years trying to keep a relationship with you only to be repeatedly turned away. You even ejected me from Joy's wedding after inviting me. On top of that I was not even notified of Gene's wedding until well after the fact. These are very hurtful things that you have done to me. Do you really believe that you will "win me over" by treating me in such an abusive manner?

I keep trying to understand your actions and motives, but I am still at a loss. You tell me that you miss me, but then you "slap" me. You say that you strongly support everyone's right to freedom of religion and speech, even bragging about all of the court cases won by the organization of Jehovah's Witnesses in support of these rights. However, when I attempt to exercise these very same rights that your organization fought for, I am instantly rejected and shunned. This is very confusing to me, not to mention hypocritical.

I would love to be a part of your life and see everyone I grew up with and be a part of family gatherings. All you have to do is stop shunning and pushing me away. All you have to do is respect my right to freedom of religion and speech, the very same rights you fight for and enjoy. Do you seriously believe these rights belong only to you? I respect everyone's right to enjoy these freedoms and have relationships with many people of all sorts of faith and those of no faith. We all may have different views and beliefs, but we all still enjoy each other's company and friendship and respect each other's unique beliefs. Over time I have come to see many of them as my new family since being rejected by you.

Basically it all comes down to this: Stop shunning me, or stop asking me why I am not in your life and telling me that you miss me. Doing both at the same time really is quite absurd. It is all up to you. Will you continue discriminating against me because my beliefs regarding religion are different from yours, while at the same time crying foul about discrimination against Jehovah's Witnesses? Do you see my point? You cannot cry foul when you see discrimination against you while at the same time discriminating against your very own son. I am amazed you did not know this.

I know that you think that your act of persecuting me is by divine commission, but you must remember, the Catholics, Protestants, Moslems, and all of the other religions that are behind the persecution of Jehovah's Witnesses also sincerely believe that they are acting of divine commission too! You have nothing over them. You are guilty of the same thing they are guilty of. Do not presume to think that Jehovah's Witnesses are the only religion that experiences this persecution, all of these religions conspire to persecute each other and anyone else who is different from themselves. The only way this cycle of persecution will end is if we all learn to respect each other's differences and each other's right to the freedoms of religion and speech and conscience.

As I said before, I would love to be a part of your lives, but it is you who are pushing me away and punishing me because I am different from you. I did not leave you, you shunned me. All I did was share with you my beliefs, the very same thing Jehovah's Witnesses pride themselves in doing and even consider to be their responsibility before their god. How can you condemn me for doing the very same thing you are doing?

I remember when I was growing up I was always being told stories about how Jehovah's Witnesses have been threatened, even with their lives, if they did not renounce their faith as Jehovah's Witnesses. The stories would speak of how wrong it is for people to discriminate, harass and threaten people simply because their beliefs are different from the beliefs of other people. What you have done to me is no different. You have informed me that unless I renounce everything I believe in and join your religion, you will shun and reject me.

The next time the Watchtower Society tells you about any persecution or abuse that Jehovah's Witnesses are experiencing around the world, I want you to stop and think about how you are persecuting me and shunning me because I am not a member of your religion.

What you are doing to me is wrong and you know it is wrong. This is why it hurts you so much to do it. If it was not wrong you would find great pleasure in your shunning of me.

Sincerely,

[Elsewhere]
  • JW83
    JW83

Hi Lehaa, see my pm - I'd love to help!

• Lehaa
    Lehaa

Elsewhere. I shall pass the letter on.

JW87 Have replied to your pm

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

Hi Lehaa! Good to hear from you again!

I wish you all the best with the interview. I am glad that the reporter has already done a spread on the pedophile problem in the org. and hope that it gets expounded on further in the interview.

I think it would be good for the reporter to hear also about the shunning issue that is so popular, and well known with JW's. People need to realize how many lives and families it has ruined, and the consequences that it has caused and is causing; ie. needless deaths by suicide, depression, and the like. We all know of the many scandals within the org. such as with the U.N. but if people were made more aware about such personal issues as shunning, and how devastating it is, it may cause others to look at it from a more personal level, and will give them a chance to realize how Inhumane it really is to shun family members, then they will realize how messed up, mindless, and heartless they can be by following such a cruel practice.

• Lehaa
    Lehaa

Thanks Ohio.

I'll definatley let them know all about the shunning problem. My own experience is terrible. How my JW family supports my abusive ex husband and ingnores my requests for help to deal with the abuse. The whole thing sucks, considering I had to take out a restraining order and move out of my house to get him to leave me alone. He's even had criminal charges brought againts him because of it all and the organisation continues to support him, even saying he had an excuse and called it righteous anger.

How double standard is that.

• Lehaa
    Lehaa

just bumping the thread as I need alot of help with this.

All you Aussies can you please help.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

NSW folks,

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/8/87884/1.ashx

I'm available to meet up this week. How's about our old apostafest haunt in Wollongong?

o[email protected]

• phil78
    phil78

i'd be willing to have a talk, but i'm "stuck" in brissie. Let me know if there is some other way i can contribute.

Phil

• SYN
    SYN

Same here, but up north in Brisbane, so can't make the park thing I'm afraid. If I can be of any further assistance, do let me know.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit