Advantages to being a JW

by MGonzales 63 Replies latest watchtower bible

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

also a witness does get excellent training on the theocratic school

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

I was an avid student of the WT spin on the Bible not the Bible, I never understood nor appreciated REAL bible scholarship until I stepped away from that simplistic fundementalist spin.

• MGonzales
    MGonzales

stillajwexelder,

I haven't figured out how to quote people yet but I agree about the Ministry School. I have no problem whatsoever giving software demos and presentations in front of groups (10 to 20 people) and I attribute this to giving many #2 talks, although that was years ago.

I also feel that as a Caucasian (despite my last name, I'm not Hispanic), I don't have the racist views that a lot of people I know do. I'm from the deep South, BTW (Louisiana, Georgia, and now Florida). That's not to say that all non-JWs are racists nor that all JWs not racists, but I'm certain that having many black friends, meeting in black's homes, and just feeling at ease going inside a stranger's home (any color) influenced me in some way. Our neighbors would ask my JW parents, "How come those nig***s are always coming over to your house [* mine]?" This kinda stuff still bothers me.

I'm sure I could think of another positive if I really thought about it.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I know being trained as a witness I can truly say I do not have a racist bone in my body

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

There are lots of racist JWs. I have never heard more racist jokes than told by white elders. Don't kid yourselves.

And the TMS _used_ to be a good tool. People used to really prepare good talks and the audience would listen. Today it is something to get over with.

All my friends know I am the Bible expert. Sometimes that's a little disconcerting when meeting girls at the bar. For instance, "well that last statement makes you sound like Balaam's ass!" Then you have to explain in and the girls just give you weird looks and shuffle down to some different open real estate.

• MGonzales
    MGonzales

Cygnus (is that a Rush reference?), I don't think anyone believes that there aren't any racist JWs. And I know some non-JWs who I don't feel are racist at all. But when I consider the majority of both, I believe JWs in general have much more of a non-racist attitude.

My experiences growing up a JW included regular socializing with all races, even going to their homes for meetings and for socializing. That's not a normal occurrence for most non-JWs that I know of, and I believe this influenced me in my views and choice of friends today.
    --

Mark

• rawconscience
    rawconscience

racism is very complex. telling racist jokes and using racial epithets is only a symptom of a deeper, more dangerous worldview. the reality is that that most white people have not interogated their own privilege and racism. given that racism is primarilly based in culture, many people assume commonsensical approaches to solving issues related to race without really investigating the way they think(assumptions they make), their everyday actions and their environment. my personal opinion is that the jw's are so consumed by a world-view that is universalizing, hierarchical, and dualistic. although i wouldnt say that xtianity as a whole is racist, i would say that constructions of gsus and many conclusions drawn by fundamentalist like the jw's do, in fact, support white supremacy.

• upside/down
    upside/down

JW elitism and exclusionary lifestyle are far worse than any RASCISM! IMO. Nobody but a rascist can tolerate a rascist, JW's on the other hand are trying to pass themselves off as mainstream "religion". What if the KKK tried that?

There are no advantages to being a JW.

There are however advantages to having been a JW.

u/d

• MGonzales
    MGonzales

Ok folks, whatever. It worked out for me so there you go.

I have another advantage of being a JW. They don't vote. Personally, I don't want any religious whackos having any input in making my laws or having anything to do with my political system. Ok, maybe that's an advantage for the rest of us?

In any case, the God of the Bible is still a terrible being IMHO, and if more mainstream religious persons knew what was in their Bible, they might come to the same conclusion, yes?

• upside/down
    upside/down

Si senior.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit