Homosexuality and how should a JW or 'Study' view it?

by AnitainFlorida 34 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    Leolaia, you're forgetting Genesis 1:26 ... "Let us make man in our image." And if God made man in His image ... since most guys get turned on watching two chicks go at it ... you can infer that the Almighty also likes watching women together. :-P

Well, ya got a point there!I should however add that the Hebrew word for "man" in this verse is undifferentiated for gender, and the verse goes on to say: "male and female he created them". So I guess that means that God must like what us chicks like too.

Bottom line: some biblical passage make specific reference to both male and female acts. Pauls' scriptures refer specifically only to male acts.

There is a more specific reference to acts involving males in v. 27, but the less specific reference involving women in v. 26 also refers to sexual acts; the relevant word is khrésin "use", occuring in both verses, and homoiós "likewise" in v. 27 also makes it clear that sexual acts are meant in the previous verse.

Bottom line: The verse does not clearly refer to lesbian acts per se, but some sort of sexual activity "contrary to nature" is assumed in v. 26. This activity is also directly linked with idolatry.

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

Anltain..... from your post it sounds like you are not really looking for input but rather ammunition to use against your daughter. Maybe she is not the one that needs her thinking "clairfied". Maybe you should open your thoughts to "pro homo" before just trying to take the easy way out. Remember to walk a mile in someone else's shoes before you judge. Talk to your daughter (not at her) to see what she is going thru. It sounds like she may be struggling with some important life decisions. She may be feeling a large void in her life and trying to figure out a way of filling it. Anyway...that's my 2 cents worth...

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

For a start you forget that Jesus associated with those considered unsuitable associates by the society of the day; tax collectors and prostititues.

You forget the story where he said 'let the one of you that is without sin cast the first stone', where a woman condemned to death for adultery was saved by his intervention.

Jesus love (as in 'agape') was PRINCIPLED love. It wasn't just love for people who did the right thing. It was love for human beings because loving other human beings is right.

So you completely fail to follow Jesus's example by your condemnation of your daughter's friends. Are you without sin so that YOU can cast the first stone?

Secondly, just as we now know some people have illnesses because of their genetics, how some families 'breed' musicians, artists or athletes because of their genetics, we also know that someone's sexuality is to a large extent defined by genetics. If you seperate twins at birth and one turns out to be gay, then rather than the 5% or 10% chance of the other twin being gay (that you would expect) you have a 50% chance.

In light of this knowledge condemning someone for their homosexuality is like condemning someone for their diabetes.

Be cautious with the Bible. It can cut both ways. In the Israelites invasion of the Promised Land there were points where god told the Israelites to kill everyone in a town apart from any virgin girls.

Is that god's word? Or is that the historical account of a people who would be considered violent and warlike by our standards?

I think it shows that the Bible isn't a book to be followed blindly. Just 'cause the Israelites thought young girls being taken into sexual slavery as war booty was completely fine doesn't mean it is something god would endorse.

Just because Jewish society was anti-homosexual doesn't mean this was something god would endorse; would god punish someone for something caused by their genes?

You need to look to worship god as he is, in spirit and faith. Not as he is portrayed in a book that carries the biases of the human beings who wrote it.

Afterall, you want to worship god, not a book... so be cautious when dealing with people who will tell you 'The Truth' is in lots of little books.

It isn't. It is in your heart if you look for it. It is about your relationship with the divine in your heart and mind; not your relationship with a book in your heart and mind.

Just as we are directed in the Bible to remove 'organs' that would stumble is, so too should we disregard parts of the Bible that show no sign of inspiration but which are obvious bits of bias carried by the writers because of the time they lived in.

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

Dear Grannie,

In my opinion "BeeBee" who initially responded to your post gave the best and most thoughtful answer and I think that there is a lot of good advice in that reply to your post that you should consider carefully.

After that, I see that the thread and other posters have gotten into a bit of theological discussion which was neither the question you asked nor called for. To answer that question, if you want to accept the (official/traditional) Jehovah's Witness view on homosexuality, then it simply is that they are "against" it.

AS to what being "against" it means and what that means for you that is all very fuzzy but for purposes of guiding you it isn't necessary to get into all the ins and outs of the matter.

Obviously, this is not an issue where you, yourself are struggling with feelings of homesexuality - this is about your relationships with your kin.

What is a bit puzzling is that there isn't from what you related in your post "much evidence" for homosexuality that your daughter is engaging in. Thus, before you get too worked up, maybe you should try and have a heart to heart conversation with her. BUT YOU MUST APPEAR READY TO HEAR WHATEVER SHE MAY REVEAL TO YOU AND ALSO YOU MUST TRY YOUR BEST TO ALLOW HER TO EXPRESS AND SHARE HER FEELINGS WITHOUT COMDEMNATION. You might have to actually tell her this and MEAN it in order to get her to open up to you.

( I just wanted to point out as an aside, that a couple wanting to include another person is not really about "homosexuality" but it could be about allowing one of the married partners to explore such desires/tendencies in a controlled and somewhat "safe" situation. Likewise, women often have close girlfriends and are comfortable with levels of physical affection/intimacy but these things don't necessarilly have anything to do with homosexuality. I wouldn't jump the gun until you know for certain whether your daughter is actually practicing or engaging in homosexual activity.)

Anyway, along the lines of what BeeBee smartly said, all of this is really (to me) about a couple of different things:

First, there is your relationship with your daughter (and by extension her hubby). She (and he) are adults and that is all there is to it. She has to make her own choices and you are long past the point having any say in things. You just have to accept that. Additionally, Like BeeBee said you are not condoning whatever she is doing simply because you agree to watch your grandchild. Certainly, you don't have to watch your granchild for any reason, including if you think that in doing so it may be facilitating your daughter doing something that you don't approve.

Secondly there is your relationship with your grandchild. I don't want you to overlook how important this is. Granny, no matter what your daughter may be doing, if you can find time in your life to spend more time with your grandchild then do it. It is so very important and probably it is much more important than any moral qualms that you have over whatever your daughter may or may not be doing.

best wishes, I am sure you will do the right thing and just remember that the most important thing in life is LOVE and those that we love and that love us.

-Eduardo

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

A man or woman enjoying the bodies of another of the same sex is quite different from homsexuality as a lifestyle/disposition. As hard as it may be for some to appreciate it, many heterosexual men and women have high regard for marriage yet feel comfortable with exploring sexual variations. The key is mutual consent and honest communication. Some counselors have suggested that if a couple desires to try introducing a third into the mix, that they reserve the act of intercourse between the couple while involving the third in other means of erousal. This may help minimize the instinct to be jealous. Any love is good love yet the emotions that may be aroused can have consequesnces.

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

type in 'gay witness' into any search engine...and you will get access to how jws are coping..struggling..giving in to their homosexual tendancies...some of the sites are run by active jws and they also explain why it is even now not a good idea to let on about ones sexuality even though it is not being acted upon

• FairMind
    FairMind

Granny, despite the flack you?ve gotten here, the Bible strongly condemns homosexuality. I think it is very obvious that man is to have sex with woman and vice versa. If some of those here are predisposed toward homosexuality that would explain their counter-attack on your question. The main thing to remember is that homosexual acts are only one of many acts that God considers to be serious sin. A practicing homosexual is no worse in God's eyes than someone who practices slander, lying, stealing, heterosexual fornication, etc.

FairMind

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

Fairmind..... You are heterosexual therefore it is obvious TO YOU that man and woman should be together.

As a gay man, I had to reconcile my faith with my sexuality. I did 14 months worth of studying secular works, along with greek translations, as well as various bible texts, cannons, and concordences. What I found is that homosexuality is not the sin it is preached about. The bible was condemning pedastry, idolotry, and prostitution.

Now, Fairmind since your "heart of heart" feelings about sexuality jive with most current teachings it is not surprising that it seems like a "non issue" to you, and that's ok. I would just ask that you maintain an open mind regarding such matters because there are other very authorative opinions on this.

As long as one is practicing being a good hearted Christian, maintaining a loving relationship with whomever one chooses, helping the indigent, and being humble we should all get along. Let's focus on the things that make us stronger together than weaker individually.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

I am not gay nor do i encourage experimentation for the sake of experimentation, the emotional toll can be great. I do believe that such efforts to define what is and what is not proper love are rooted in ignorance and are merely an effort to impose certain individuals' personal feelings rather than some timless edict from 'above'.

• beebee
    beebee

I am not gay either, but neither am I homophobic. I am of the belief that nature (for religious folks - G-d) seems to have built a predisposition towards sexual preference into all mammals (and yes, homosexual acts exist in other mammals) and that to judge such preferences, as another poster suggested is the same as judging someone for having a mental illness or heart disease.

None of my children appear to be bisexual or gay, but if they were, I would love them the same and would certainly not put my relationships with them (which I treasure dearly) in jeopardy by demanding they change who they are.

I also do not read anything into Grannie's post that would determine that her daughter is gay or bisexual, just the claim that she and her husband wanted to experiment sexually. Grannie needs to know that such desires, do not equate to being either bisexual or homosexual, as it is more a factor, at this point, of being curious and wanting a more adventurous sexual life (and I'm not placing a judgement good or bad on the couple's choice to explore that option).

And if she is bisexual, she is. Nothing you, I or grannie says will change that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit