Just heard the pope has died

by jaffacake 14 Replies latest jw friends

• jaffacake
  • Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Yup... I just found out about it too.

As much as I strongly disagree with much of his life's work, I still have to respect him in death.

• JAVA
    JAVA

The Pope?s death, and some of the others threads started concerning him made me think of a district assembly many years ago. I worked in the News Service Department, and someone in the darkroom had a picture of a Catholic Cardinal, and he superimposed the District Overseer?s head on a made-up photo. He made an 8 x 10 of the new photo, and some of us give it to the District Overseer. He nearly wet himself laughing.

A few days later I was in the car with him, and noticed he still had the photo. He said while taking his car to the carwash, he left the photo in the car, and when an employee got into the car, he too saw the photo, too. When the employee got out he made the sign of the cross, and bowed as the District Overseer got back into the car!

I could tell by the way he was telling the story that he enjoyed it a little too much. I?ll bet he kept that photo for a very long time. This episode could go off into another thread about the Tower?s obsession of hating the Catholic Church more than others, which might suggest a type of jealously.

• Dustin
    Dustin

Everybody dies eventually. I guess it doesn't really affect me at all. But I'm sure the Governing Body will point to it as another sign of the end being near.

• glenwoodswoman
    glenwoodswoman

When I was about 6 or 8, I spend 1 year in a catholic orphanage. That experience forever parted me from anything catholic. I have only once since then set foot in a catholic church, and that was to attend the funeral service of a parent of a dear friend of mine.

I cringe when I hear he was attended to by his private physicians etc etc etc when we all know of the proverbial little old ladies that support the opulence of the vatican.

However, I have mellowed with age and I have forgiven THEM so that I can have peace. So may he rest in peace and may his god be with him.

Glenwoodswoman

• Noumenon
    Noumenon

The poor old fart should have been put out to pasture and retired years ago. What a pathetic religion that forces a decrepid ailing old man to keep working right up until he snuffs it.

• Gozz
    Gozz

Great man. And an amazing exit from earth's tortured shores. His deeds (many very good, and at least one curious) go with him. He will be remembered for the many good he did, and the unity he fostered among the faiths.

Glenwoodswoman, interesting post; a tad cryptic...

• rebel8
    rebel8
    The poor old fart should have been put out to pasture and retired years ago. What a pathetic religion that forces a decrepid ailing old man to keep working right up until he snuffs it.

Is there some evidence to support the contention that it was the religion forcing him to keep working until his death, that it was not his personal choice? I realize we all have our issues with religion because of the things we went through, and that colors our perceptions. Honestly though, I've always heard he voluntarily accepted appointment to Pope at age 62 and continued working until death voluntarily. If there's some information to refute that, I'd be interested.

• acsot
    acsot

from USA today of October 28, 2003:

"... John Paul's ailing health has fueled speculation that he might step down, since he is no longer able to walk or complete many of his speeches. However, a high-ranking Vatican cardinal, Bernardin Gantin, stressed in an official speech to the symposium this week that popes serve for life."

the link: http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2003-10-18-vatican-pope_x.htm

• tyydyy
    tyydyy

What a wonderful man he was. We should all strive to be just like him. Go tell your children that condoms are bad. Lead by example. Don't have sex. Make sure your children know that you're the supreme one by wearing some distinguishing garb. If you find out that a pedophile is working for you, for god's sake, keep it a secret and just transfer the guy somewhere where no one is aware of his habits. In fact, give him a raise while you're at it.

I know the man just died and there are millions that worship love him so I apologize to those who've had their feelings hurt by my comments. I don't love him. If you really are feeling a lot of sorrow for his passing you might want to think about that. Did you feel that much sorrow when Knorr died?

TimB

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit