The point here is- I have no point.

by becks 21 Replies latest jw experiences

• Goldminer
    Goldminer

Hi Becks.Nice to meetyou!

It's true that a lot of people have gone through feelings similar to what you are going through,myself included.Keep in mind that when you were a jw,you really didn't have to make decisions on your own,you just looked up what the society said and that's the path you followed.Now,being a young adult,you are in charge of your decision-making,good or bad.So decide you want to live a good and happy life and remember life is a real adventure.

Here are 2 little secrets to help you along:

1.Be content being who you are right now,where you are as a unique individual

2.Smile,attitudes are contagious and you look like a pretty girl.try it for one day,put on a genuine,happy smile and take notice of how people react more positively to you.

Have a nice day!

Goldminer

• cheeseman
    cheeseman

Becks, I feel ya. I recently got out of hospital with severe depression. It gets better, but very slowly. I have always asked myself the same question and I think I'm slowly coming to realise that there is no point. There is no point in anything. But, do you know what? That for me is the beauty of life. There doesn't need to be a point. Live every moment as if it were your last. You will see it is not the destination that is important...it's the journey. Just feel those little things...sunlight on your face, wind in your hair, a smile from a friend...or a tear. These are the important things. Live in the moment, we're all on this journey together.

• vitty
    vitty

You said you still believe in armaggedon, I would be depressed if I still believed in that too

How much of the WT doctrines do you still believe in? If you believe they are true, then youll never feel happy

I went back into the org, because I thought they had the truth and I was afraid everyday because of armaggedon, its like living on death row ! No wonder you feel theres no point

I spent the next 20 years, trying to get it right. Now I no longer feel they have the truth, and I am at peace with myself. Im not saying its easy, other problems surfice when you leave and Ive had to run a gauntlet of emotions, but now I feel life just begun, the black cloud has lifted.

Im not saying that if you leave the org everything in life is rosie, cos im not, what I am saying is if you are still indoctrinated, you will never be free,

• upside/down
    upside/down

I hear ya....

You have what's called "anhedonia"- "an"=without, "hedonia" (hedonism)= pleasure.

It's terrible... it's like having no tastebuds and eating good food or seeing only in black and white...

The GOOD NEWS is that it passes! Wait it out and keep looking here on JWD for support.

Welcome

u/d (of the loves newbies class)

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

Becks welcome. I'm sorry you are going through such a rough patch. Here are some things that you might want to think about.

The WTS fed you lies. One of the big ones was that you have to have a point and it has to be the one they tell you it is. The point is you are free to decide what your point is. Life is in the discovery, the travel, NOT the destination. And its a helluva ride if you let go.

Jump For Joy

Another of their lies is that it is selfish to take care of yourself. I believe you have to look within as well as without for your higher power. You have to see and feel that you are worthy and beautiful and once you see and believe that you will understand your connection with god/dess. Taking care of yourself can be a very spiritual thing.

The WTS also wants you to live in fear because theirs is a fear-based religion. Religion and spirituality should bring you joy, not terror.

The good news is you are in therapy. One day at a time you will wake up to the gift of life and figure out how awesome it all is even at the worst of times.

Good luck and blessings to you,

Sherry

• dh
    dh
    The point here is- I have no point.

Two statements I breathe every day.

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

Becks...Welcome to the forum, you do sound lost..however i hope you find here what you are looking for.

Look at life as a journey...a voyage of discovery...look for something new from every single day you are alive...throw yourself into good situations that you wouldnt come by before...consider volunteering...and when i say that i dont mean at the next convention...I mean within charitable organisations where people could benefit from your experience and hard work.

This temporarily will take you mind off the problems you are experiencing and the feelings you have to endure...try it...!

DB

• Swan
    Swan
    Look at life as a journey...a voyage of discovery...look for something new from every single day you are alive

I agree.

Beck, life doesn't have to have some grand glorious purpose. It doesn't have to have a point. It just is.

Consider how it is in Nature. Man is the only creature on earth that ignores his nature and tries to make some sort of epic out of his very existence. No other creature on earth does this. They just live.

That is the purpose of life. To live.

Work and reproduction play an essential part of preserving life, but other than that, life is just life. It is something to be enjoyed and relished in the moment, not something to be endured for some grand glorious purpose in the future.

If you want to feel productive, donate some time at a charity. But don't base your life's purpose on some grand altruistic ideal.

Tammy

• Whiskeyjack
    Whiskeyjack

Hi Becks,

Welcome to the forum. My siblings and I still confront this "problem" years later. The idea of "purpose" in life is the org.'s main selling point IMO. We're still trying to learn about ourselves but we're very unambitious in regards to "worldy pursuits". This seems to be a very prevalent problem for most raised in the org. who leave (didn't want to be a double-lifer myself!). You're very lucky to have some quality friends around you (many leave with no support) since one's relationships with other people is the main determinant in a "successful" life.

I'm an agnostic now with Humanist leanings (I think humans are the coolest things in the Universe) as this philosophy is primarily concerned with human development as a collective entity. I think we humans must make our world better on our own through our interactions with others.

You'll find a lot of great information and debate on this board.

W.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    so 7 years on after leaving the truth i am still struggling with one thing.

What is the point of life?

I can relate to those words, more than you know. Life can seem pretty gray sometimes.

Your mentioning "armageddon" leads me to believe that, at least in some ways, you're a "walkaway believer" which is sad indeed. God isn't going to kill you or anybody else.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit