Did you ever see a TRULY happy JW?

by cyborgVision 33 Replies latest jw friends

• talesin
    talesin

Your question took me by surprise.

I sat back and really thought about it. (haven't read the thread, sorry!)

The answer is, thoughtfully, a resounding NO.

And, the real shock is, I'm surprised. Go figure. Guess I never really thought about it before.

tal

• delilah
    delilah

Excellent question! After pondering a few minutes, I can say that there were some happy JW's, but they were the elderly ones. Have you ever sat in a van full of elder's wives, and MS's wives and listened to them drone on about their stingy husbands and gossip about sister-down-in-the-dumps who could really use their help, but alas, they were much too busy to offer their time. And i would sit back and watch them all kiss up to each other and if the CO happened to be visiting, look out for the stampede to get his and his mate's attention. And I too am surprised at how many within the org. are on meds, it's sad really. I'm so glad that I am no longer under the influence of the borg.

Dee

• sad and lonely
    sad and lonely

hi i'm a witnesses though i haven't been at the hall for a while,and its not because of their teachings that cause me to stay away..ffrom what i see they do teach what jesus taught..though there are christians who claim the believe in everything jesus teaches...yet they call him and the witnesses a lier.i'm at times sad,and at times fell lonely..its not because again of the teachings..because though i'm a witness...i have my own mind...and i'll do whatever i want..if i want. its because i'm very picky when it comes to finding the right one.but if i did i wouldn't care if he was a witness or not...as long as he was a good man.still you asked as though every other christian on earth truely is happy all the time...it depends on each situation,when it comes to feeling sad..not the religion...people really do need to stop trippin on the witnesses.i seen people from other religions who were straight up...liers,cheaters,fonicators,adulterers,and everything eles.but its nothing really said about them.so the question should have been...DID YOU EVER TRULY SEEN A HAPPY CHRISTIAN...PERIOD!!...peace!

• Gozz
    Gozz

I know many JWs who are trully happy, and they're mostly elderly JWs. Throroughbred in the faith, and caring little about doctrical correcteness and nonsense like that. Very happy, and trully, deservedly so.

• AuntieJane
    AuntieJane

Hi Sad and Lonely, First of all Welcome. You will find many different people with all kinds of opinions on this board. They do not always make me happy. I was never a JW but have family who are and I have learned a lot from these people. So I invite you to stay around, open your mind to what they are saying. Many here have been hurt by the teachings of the WTS, perhaps if you stay awhile you will understand why.

I do feel bad to know you have chosen to be called Sad and Lonely. I hope you can change that name someday. By the way, are you raising your girls as JW's or have they been exposed to other Christian teachings? Just wondering...I'd like to hear from you. Oh, I'm a 55 year old Mom of 3 young adults, and you can send me a message if you just want to talk.

AuntieJane

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

I knew a married couple who converted in their late 50's, and were baptized only like a year before I was. He was one of the most kind and gracious persons I've ever known, his face was lit up with a genuine smile more often than not, and his wife was quite a dear also. But I could see as the years went on that "Da Troof" was wearing them out, and they lost a lot of that joy that made them such attractive people.

I knew another lady who had 5 children with an unbelieving husband, her kids were a mixed bag but she was a very nice lady, and not in the plastic-smile neurotic JW way, she really was a happy person and a true believer through and through. I think that her status as a wife with an unbelieving mate and 5 kids and a full-time job sheltered her somewhat from the uglier side of JWism though.

• NewLight2
    NewLight2

Hi sad and lonely,

I've never been a JW, but I did study with them for a while. I attended the Kingdom Hall a few times, but was not really that impressed with the way I was treated. I was mostly ignored. You see, I don't make friends very easily, so that could have been my fault. But never the less, I thought that the way people just got up and walked about during the services was not very considerate to the speaker. In the other churches that I have attended, that does not happen. Sure, you are always going to find the ONE or TWO who just have to make that emergency pit-stop, but it is hardly noticable. But at the KH it seemed like almost eveyone there got up at least once and just walked around! Can you explain why the difference between the non-JW service and the JW service?

NewLight2

• Berean
    Berean

Yes, I have seen some Witnesses that were truly happy. Are there more, or less, who are truly happy than in other religions? I don?t know, my guess is that it is probably the same.

• wasasister
    wasasister

Again, good question. Berean makes a good point: is the "happy" proportion among JW's approximately the same in other religions? I dunno.

I do, however, know a couple of extremely happy, well-adjusted Witness families. They would, in fact, still associate with my inactive self if I encouraged it. They are genuinely nice people, their kids turned out good, their marriages are solid.

I have taken the somewhat unpopular position that not everyone who was raised in or exposed to the cult of JW's (and make no mistake, it IS a cult) becomes permanently, irreversibly damaged. Perhaps the majority are, but I don't think there are any conclusive studies. If I can site two or three examples of blissfully happy JW's, there must be more. I'm not talking about the artificial "happiness" you see in the DC dramas - I'm talking about how people are in every day life.

One family in particular I lived with for a period of two months when our home was being built. I saw them each and every day, and believe me...that's too long to "fake it". They had an enviable marriage, loving appreciative kids, and a great attitude towards outsiders. Sounds rare, I know, but it was the real deal.

Me? I had my happy moments. When I was ignorant of the erroneous doctrines, I was probably happy. Once the scales fell from my eyes, I got and stayed unhappy until I left. I had one of those happy endings, though.

(Roll credits)

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

I know a few in my congregation that are truly happy with their lives. They truly believe they're in the one true religion and look towards the future trusting that God will some day make it all right.

DY

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit