Did you ever see a TRULY happy JW?

by cyborgVision 33 Replies latest jw friends

• cyborgVision
    cyborgVision

I mean seriously, most of us have been inside for a number of years. So during all this time did you ever see happy person or a family or were YOU ever truly happy there, even for a brief period of time? If you were happy, when was it? Was it when you were still having pre-baptism bible study, while you were pioneering, or at some other time.

In my own experience, I?ve seen very few truly happy people, mostly it was a pretence (there were a few to be fair, but that was back in 80?s). I personally did love discussing with people (if that can be considered happiness) so pioneering was my cocoon for a number of years where I was hiding from congregational problems and constant internal politicking, back-stabbing, gossip and slander, until I couldn't tolerate it anymore.

How about you?

• Pwned
    Pwned

In the congregation where i went to when I grew up i thought most people were pretty happy. there were always cong picnics, weddings, basketball games after the meetings, everyone staying at the same hotels at the conventions, it wasnt until my generation became teenagers that problems started what with 'wayward' teens etc. and i havent been to a hall really since i was 17 so i dont know how it is now.

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

Not really. But people in general aren't very happy, so I don't think its a particularly JW phenomenon, of course it does play a part.

Everyone seems to be happy at DCs. I guess that's because they see a lot of old friends.

• yelloeteady
    yelloeteady

I'm still a witness by name, and i go to meetings less and less. Its always very disappointing to see the hypocrisy in the elders and ministerial servants. I see alot of pervertedness in them. Thats what made me unhappi about the organization.. too much hypocrisy and retaliation... I hope my life will change in the near futrure as i stay away from those people more and more...

• yelloeteady
    yelloeteady

By the way, i see happi jws but its few. most of them seem to put on a happi face, but behind the mask, I know they are stressed out by the doctrines of the organization

• Golf
    Golf

C.B. good question. I took it for granted that people were happy, your question prompted me to ask the following question, did you experience a 'spiritual high' after some meetings?

Golf

• love11
    love11

I've always tried to be happy, even when things were really bad in my family. I appreciated every little thing. If it was hot in field service the only thing I remembered was having fun with my friends and having an ice cream cone on our break. I think it was the only thing that kept me sane.

But, most adults I knew at the hall were either on anti-depressants or were mentally ill. When I grew up I would hear all the gossip and my mother talking about other people. (in this case the gossip was true and most of this I heard straight from the source.) Before I got disfellowshipped, I remember sitting in the back row and looking at each seat and saying to myself who was on medication and who wasn't. I was shocked, about 80% of them were on anti-depressants and the ones who weren't on any med's , I knew of severe abuse going on in that family. By the time I was done mentally weeding out all the people on med's or abusive tendencies, there were only 3 adults left. Those people are now disfellowshipped. Now that's the truth!

In my opinion- people that need to be in such a controlling religion as that, have to have something wrong with them or they just don't know what they've gotten themselves into and eventually find out.

• cyborgVision
    cyborgVision

Good question Golf. There was a time when I felt something but strangely enough meeting were usually agony for me listening someone?s dogmatic arguments with his 1/10th to say about one half developed public speaking skills. I don?t mean to be derogatory but in reality that?s what it was. The only time I could say I was happy was at the end of the meeting, I?ve often analyzed myself why was that the case.

My sort of conclusion was that, I was glad I?ve made it through and it was time to go home. Actually, the only time when meeting was really interesting to me was when I had some part. I know this may sound very egoistic but I do not mean that my speaking skill were that of an expert either. What it was, I think is that I actually had something to do and had legitimate reason to stand up and basically do something.

But having said all that I remember at very beginning, when I just started seriously studying bible I did like meetings and felt strange sort of peace, but I?m afraid that was gone after a year of two. Hope that answers your question.

• JW83
    JW83

Hi there, Golf, my family & I used to have enthusiastic, spiritual high conversations in the car back home after assemblies & conventions. The rest of the time was okay - I used to like meetings. And most people seemed happy. Looking back I know I definitely wasn't happy & most of the people I loved/respected left somehow - although a good friend of mine won't leave because she has such a great family & lots of friends ...

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

i was happy..people used to comment on it constantly and it wasnt because i didnt have any difficulties..and they dont understand why now i cant be that way again...i wish i could have it back..just know i cant knowing what i know now

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit