Just had my first ever study with a JW

by jaffacake 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Gadget
    Gadget
    He listed about 15 topics for us to study, to prove only JWs are based on 1st century Christianity. I got him to agree not to attack other religions, (proving them false does not prove JWs true)

What points was he using to attack other religions? I remember the ones that were being used as I was growing up, slagging them off because of how many people were leaving, getting involved with politics/un, scandals involving the church/catholic child abuse scandal, believes not standing up to scrutiny, etc. All of these can be turned around to show exactly the same applies to the jw's.

if he's the typical jw then he'll give you the whole "you must first take milk before solid food" spiel. he will want to cover all the basics with you in order right in the book

If you push him too hard he'll class you as apostate and stop the study with you, giving you even less of a chance with your friend. I would let him follow the subject he wants to follow each week, but research each subject so that you have all the right answers ready. What book are you studying and where abouts are you up to in it? Perhaps we can give you a few ideas.

Expect your study conductor to bring an elder with him next time to help him with your difficult questions, so there'll be at least two people facing you next time. Don't forget I live close by if you need any help.

Paul

• Effervescent
    Effervescent

I really don't have anything else to add other than... Great job!

I'm kinda jealous that you can have a study with them and challenge them like you're doing. It would be nice to get at least one of them to use their brain for just a second. heh- my husband would freak if I told him I was studying with a Witness, especially after all the horror stories Ive told him!

• phil78
    phil78

Why bother. Havent u got anything more interesting to do, like watch paint dry

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

If you point out too many problems, when he goes bragging to others about his BS, he may get told to drop it and stop showing up. Don't take it personally . Mind you having his home phone number may help you keep in touch.

Kwin

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

The help I'm getting is invaluable here, I can't thank you all individually.

I have limited my profile so as not to give too much away. He knew in advance my questions to loved ones. I'm out of my depth, but what the heck!

I care a great deal for my friends and will not give this up, ever!

• Gadget
    Gadget

I've been thinking about this a bit.

Your objective is to get your friend out, and as he won't have anything to do with you if your not studying then I think you need to make sure you don't rock the boat. If you go along with the bloke conducting the study and ask questions to show your thinking about it but don't rile him too much so that he thinks your making progress and its worthwhile continuing your study. Why not just use your study as a means to an end to be able to keep contact with your friend so that you can concentrate on your primary objective, if the study is cancelled you may lose everything. Just a thought.

If he's just been baptised the other week he may need your help now more than ever. Lots of jws stop having so much to do with a new one once they're baptised and can't count their time, so this might give you an opening as he sees the 'real love'.

Thanks for the pm, I'll be in touch over the weekend.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit