Commenting

by DocHayes 27 Replies latest jw friends

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

I loved "that guy/gal" that would comment, "Last night I noticed this point...so I went and looked up some info...blah, blah, bullshit, etc... and before I knew it 3 hours had passed". It was a competition of suffering. Oh you spent 3 hours? I spent 3 1/2 hours. The material was REALLY deep.

I'm like, if it took you 3 hours to study for this candy ass material...puleeze.

I could figure the material out in 15 minutes and spend the other 45 minutes contemplating if fluidic space was a possibility.... or maybe how good that beer would taste afterwards.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I vary my answering style

• blondie
    blondie

My comments were as close as I could make them to "comments you will not hear at the WT study." I always received many compliments from the rank and file, but long looks from the elders. The best thing to do is to quote from the WTS material...and make the proper application. Being a sister, I was always careful to be "respectful."

Nothing like sticking it where it hurts and twisting it.

Betther than:

"The paragraph says"

"The magazine says"

"The slave says"

Never "the Bible says"

Blondie

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

Oh, I was the one who gave the answer in my own words, read or paraphrased a scripture, tied in a relevant reference from secular history, and did it all with a smile.

EvilForce: long, drawn out, off topic, footnoted, cross referenced answer that made the meeting go over by 10 minutes

Yeah, like that. Two or three times at every Watchtower study.

But I never got invited to the in-group Saturday night Watchtower studies either, so I thought them up by myself. Not a suck-up, just a scripture nerd.

Purza: They obviously had WAY too much time on their hands
    Yeah, I coulda been home licking my husband or reading science fiction or something.

gently feral

• Whiskeyjack
    Whiskeyjack

I was a little smart ass who was famed for my long-winded comments especially at the book study meetings.

I remember when our conductor pissed off me and my roomate (another adolescent JW) that week so we decided to boycott commenting at his next study. Even though we were out boozing most nights (as young fellows will at that age) we still provided the majority of the "hard" questions' comments since there was a lot of deadwood in our assigned group.

The study took almost two hours while we stood there not saying a word until they made it through the material. The elder changed his tune the following week!

W.

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

I wouldn't answer unless I could come up with something that was remotely interesting. So I was always looking for that side point about the type of sandals worn by first century Jews, or whatever.

But we had this one dude, I swear, I can't believe he got away with it, he would without fail tie any paragraph in with like Eastern philosophies and stuff. It would be a paragraph about leprosy, and he would be bringing in Buddha and Universal Compassion. He was one of those guys that the conductor would studiously ignore unless nobody else was raising their hand. And even then it took a while for him to break down and call on the poor guy.

Funniest thing was that after I left, of all people he was shocked that I didn't believe in the Bible anymore!

SNG

• Shania
    Shania

I always prepared my lesson, and would comment once or twice in my own thoughts, imagine that, a woman who can think--------would always tie in a scripture for proof of my answer was in harmony with Gods Word such a good student I was bla bla bla bla GOLD STAR FOR ME

• love11
    love11

I was just a kid when I was in the witnesses and I was made to answer at least one time for every meeting. I would plan it out ahead of time and just answer something simple just to get by. I was always so nervous that my hands would shake. That mic used to remind me of a snake head! WHEW! Am I glad to be away from that!

ps. Now I'm in theater and I love it- so something must have scared the crap out of me at the hall. Bad vibes!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit