Commenting

by DocHayes 27 Replies latest jw friends

• Smoky
    Smoky

I always had some sort of fobia for Commenting .Rarely would i read a scripture but that was it, and only in book study. I always thought Commenting was overrated, and no matter how much they hit me, and encourage me. I was not going to be forced.

I Till this day dont comment or read anything. I am just a chair warmer.

Of course, this was when i was regular at the meeeting, you see.

smoky

• Goldminer
    Goldminer

I was a one-comment-per-meeting-in -my-own-words kinda guy.The PO would stand at the back of the hall to monitor which hands were going up.Then in '98,with the famous letter the PO wrote to all the brothers here,that was the end of my spiritual progress.Never commented since....slowly downhill....oh well....now I know better.

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

This is a little off topic. But my favorite type of commenter was the one that answered the "nebulous" question from the conductor. You know that one question the conductor "pre determined" with his study group the night before? You (cause you weren't spiritual enough to get invited to the Sat. night Watchtower Study Party) are sitting there saying to yourself WTF is he asking? And sure enough two or three of the brown nosers have their hands up and go into this long, drawn out, off topic, footnoted, cross referenced answer that made the meeting go over by 10 minutes. You think to yourself, "Wow, what kind of drugs are they doing at those Sat. night study parties?"

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

I really enjoyed commenting at the meetings. I would answer many questions.

I always prepared my study with extra information to make the answer more eloquent.

I use to love answering and sometimes I did make points about something maybe someone had done and the material in the WT applied to them. I would like watching people slink down in their chair.

I was full of sh**. a do gooder, a goody two shoes, show off. But I loved it .

I am so bad...

luv

Orangefatcato

• Purza
    Purza

Or what about the commenter who would answer the question and then tie in a past article of the WT & Awake? "In harmony with the 74 Awake re: Bullsh*t, etc". Those people always bothered me. They obviously had WAY too much time on their hands.

Purza

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

Hated it...hated it...hated it....

.but I had to at least answer one question,....or no TV that night. Especially on Sunday, when I would have to miss the Wonderful World of Disney.

• mustang
    mustang

I can't remember (it's been 30 years);

I'll go w/ "commenting is overrated". So are privileges, for that matter.

Mustang

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

Wow. This kinda brings back memories... *shudder*

I remember at one hall I attended... whilst still living at home - I worked the amplifier and turntable in the back... and that was where I sat/stood during the meetings - behind the counter.

For some reason the fella whut was running the show there - decided to 'blackball' me. I didn't notice it at first... but then - like so many others have mentioned here - I would catch heck at home, if I didn't comment at least once or twice during the Sunday meeting.

Soooo... I would study the whole silly Watchtower, and then sit/stand in the back, and attempt to answer - by raising my hand. The conductor - who had it in for me, I suppose - would ignore me (and I _know_ he saw me).

So, I had fun with it. I did a little study. I thought that perhaps he couldn't see me. I moved to one side. Then the other. Nope. He would never call on me... and I would later catch heck at home for not commenting.

There were some of the others 'brothers' that were my age that would occassionally stand in the back - to try to stay awake... and one time I mentioned to one of 'em... "Watch this." *Raises hand* *Gets ignored* I told him what was going on. So he tried it. He got called on.

We just looked at each other.

This went on for quite a while, too.

I even tried it by sitting in the audience - (In the back area - of course) - and this fella was up higher, and could see me - and not call on me.

I'm not sure how long this went on... but it got frustrating for me... and was probably another nail in their coffin as far as losing me and my 'loyalties' to that organization.

My mom never believed that I was trying, either. She thought that I was lying, I suppose - or not trying hard enough.

Oh - and my comments were directly from the material... so it's not like I was getting creative and making things up - or embarassing the silly guy or anything. He was just a 'control freak'.

Regards,

Jim TX

• Mastodon
    Mastodon

I never ever ever studied the articles beforehand but I was always one of those as***les that made the clever, deep and insightful comments. Ugh! I disgust myself....

• Carmel
    Carmel

mostly asked questions that pointed to the ridiculousness of the ideas.. got in lots of hot water..

carmel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit