Why remember the bad treatment?

by Joker10 35 Replies latest jw friends

• Scully
    Scully

The bad treatment is a testimony to the falsehood of the claim JWs make that they are True Christians?. Jesus said "By this all will know that you are my disciples if you have love among yourselves." ~ John 13:35.

Just because you want to believe that JWs are the only True Christians?, doesn't make it so. Our collective experiences puts that claim to the test, doesn't it?

Also, you might want to consider Acts 4:19, 20. "[A]s for us, we cannot stop speaking about the things we have seen and heard." We have every right to talk about these things. We are entitled to our feelings about our experiences, whether you like it or not. When you "forget" about the bad stuff or pretend it doesn't exist, you are sending a message to people who have experienced real harm that their suffering is meaningless. Would you dream of asking a Holocaust survivor "Why remember what happened in Auschwitz?" Would you?? That's just how callous and insensitive your question is to people here.

• moanzy
    moanzy

I probably wouldn't be reliving the pain everyday if it wasn't for the simple fact that every day I can't call my mom or sister or my brothers for anything. Even simple things about raising my girls that would be so nice to share with my mom, I can't.

Knowing that a religion has taken my right to a family away from me, oh I don't know.....makes me want to poke someone in the eye!!!!!

Moanzy

• Joker10
    Joker10
    When you "forget" about the bad stuff or pretend it doesn't exist, you are sending a message to people who have experienced real harm that their suffering is meaningless.

I meant why people like to talk about it everyday, and may have have lengthy discussions about it. I agree. Forgetting a tragedy can be harmful.

• doogie
    doogie
    I meant why people like to talk about it everyday, and may have have lengthy discussions about it.

the only way you'll understand is if you leave the JWs. until then, you're just baiting an argument. not trying to get real answers. IMHO, of course.

that's like an ex-JW going to a JW board and asking why people stay in the religion. this ex-JW doesn't care what the real reasons are, they just want to have a laugh.

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

J 10.

I remember the struggle it was to remain amongst a group of people who looked down on me and my family and the damage and confusion in me and my wife and children because we didn't fully fulfill the demands of the wbts.

We were and are good people. We live good lives of honesty and caring for others and now that most have left the org and I df'd because I was angry at the elders "fits of rage was the charge", we are looked upon as worthless apostates deserving of death.

It is this forum and counseling and time that have helped heal me.

Now I come to this forum with the hope of helping others with their struggles and fears and anger as they leave the jw cult.

To be on this forum and watch others heal and help each other and offer help to those like you, that have questions and doubts, kind of makes up for the guilt we now have for having brought our families and others into this cult or for staying in the cult after we saw it for what it really is .

When one is born into a cult controled family, it takes some time for the damage done from birth on to be recognized and then heal and construct the genuine personality we never really had.

For some this comes quickly and for some it takes time.

I hope this answers your question.

Outoftheorg

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

Not every one of us post about it every day, but with so many members, someone is going to be having an issue that brings up bad memories somewhere.

These people need to feel free to express themselves here without being judged as whiners by people who don't have a clue what they are going through, or who do not want to face their own issues and choose to ignore them.

If you don't like reading these things, don't. If it bothers you to watch other people go through their healing process, don't watch. But this is not the right place to judge people.

Jeannie

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

There are a few life-altering experiences in this life of greater significance than finding that the religion that you trusted as absolute 'truth' was absolute 'lies', and you had given all your substance and heart to it for years or perhaps decades. And then to have all your friends [and maybe relatives too] desert you like so much spoiled and rotted flesh, on top of all that!

To me it felt like having my parents die on the same day that I was divorced, lost my kids and found out I had cancer! That kind of trauma needs to heal. This is a place for that healing to happen and it has been of tremendous help to me and countless others.

Jeff

• Scully
    Scully
    I meant why people like to talk about it everyday, and may have have lengthy discussions about it. I agree. Forgetting a tragedy can be harmful.

I don't talk about my experiences "everyday", and I seldom see any one person talking about their own experiences "everyday". The fact that there are thousands of registered members here might have something to do with your perception though.

Let's do some math, shall we? If there are 1100 people using the site and let's say that we have an average of 3 different people talk about their experiences on any given day. It would take a year for everyone to have a turn. Now do the same thing with 17,000 members - which is about the population of registered members here. Can you see why it might seem to you that everyone talks about the bad treatment they received from JWs "everyday"?

Does the magnitude of the problem of "bad treatment" by JWs begin to sink in now?

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Great post Scully

• talesin
    talesin

Dear Joker10,

After reading your posts for a while, it seems to me that with this topic, you are sincerely wanting to understand ...

Do you realize how the shunning affects people's lives every day?

It's so sad, isn't it? Some of us are affected by this every day, and need to vent. This is the place where folks will understand, and we can rant and go on and on, and no one will think we are crazy or stupid, and they won't tell us to 'get over it' (at least not without being "told"! hahaha).

I think your questioning is a good thing. I see someone who is truly struggling ... and I hope you find your way.

xoxo

talesin

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit