is the future more or less bleak for the atheist?

by doogie 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• doogie
    doogie

A thread from yesterday got me thinking about something. Is it possible that human life is less bleak if not viewed through the eyes of theism?

Traditionally, I think there?s a general understanding that to look at the world through ?God-colored? glasses produces a much happier life than the purposeless existence of the atheist. The theist believes that we were put here for a reason and did not arise by pure chance. He believes in a beautiful future when we would be rescued from this terrible sinful world. A wonderful reward will be given to the righteous ones and well-deserved punishment for those that are destroying this world before our very eyes (I know, these are generalizations of a Christian perspective).

Conversely, there?s the fear that without a belief in God, societies would crumble into a crime ridden, amoral, ?culture of death.? Atheists are often portrayed as exactly this?people to be feared because, for them, there is no higher authority to ultimately enforce their moral conduct. I mean, how could they possibly have any moral standard? They don?t believe in God! Many believe that without the threat of eternal punishment (death, hell, karma?take your pick) humans are incapable of living productive lives and making a better future for their offspring. We would descend into a self destructive mire that would ultimately destroy the human species.

Personally, I?ve noticed that since my beliefs have tended towards a atheistic view of the world, the future doesn?t look quite as dim as it used to. Suddenly, Armageddon doesn?t seem to be such a long overdue necessity. I guess I just have a general feeling of progress rather than digression in human society. Human society seems to me to be evolving (slowly) and the future seems so much more exciting than it used to. Granted, I will be long gone before we reach our full potential as a species but that in itself suddenly makes our brief span on the Human timeline seem much more important. Ironically, life seems MORE purposeful and meaningful now that I don?t believe that we were put here for any specific purpose.

I just remember how I viewed atheists when I was still a strong theist...like they were trying to get away with something.

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

Having been both (a theist before I knew better), I can say that my outlook is better as an atheist.

As an atheist, I am not waiting for a skydaddy to make my life better - I must take my own initiative - and this process actually works, whereas prayer does not. I have a realistic view of my present and future, and enjoy each phase of my life for what it is. I have not descended into a crime-ridden, pointless mire. If anything, I have noticed that the atheists I know are usually the most happy, well-adjusted people I know. They use no religious crutch and take their own initiative to make their life and that of those around them better.

When I rooted out the JW teachings from my brain, at first I wondered if it would leave a hole and I would need to go on a spiritual quest like those pathetic souls they parade across the stage at district conventions. But, what I found was that the absence of JW dogma (and in fact God himself) did not leave a hole at all. It was like losing a baby tooth. There was no void underneath. The old belief did not fall out in isolation - it was pushed out by a stronger belief growing up underneath.

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

Excellent post, doogie!

For me also, life is much more invigorating without the God-colored glasses you mention, and especially without the Judeo-Christian God-colored glasses.

One reason for me is that getting past the Christian ethic allows us to be unabashedly hopeful about humans. Christianity has this dark raincloud over humanity all the time: "We're sinful, we're imperfect, we're wretched. Only by God's grace - undeserved, at that - can we have the merest glimmer of hope. Oh, pitiful wreck that I am! Would that God might overlook my error in the day of his destructive fury!"

That outlook is incredibly distasteful to me. It engenders a negative view of humanity. How can we have hope when we see our fellow humans as basically bad, deserving of death, spoiled from perfection?

A humanist attitude is so much more uplifting. Sure, we've made our mistakes. But look at the waters we've successfully navigated! We've come a long way, and we press on further! We've stood on the shoulders of those who have come before us and held the lamp yet higher!

Realizing that we are alone in the universe means that it's up to us to make things work. That endenders serious personal responsibility. We can't kick back and wait for God to take care of it. We need to be good citizens now. We must stand upright, walk straight ahead, look each other straight in the eye and work together.

Especially at this moment in human history, when more and more people are shedding the bonds of ignorance, interacting with the global community, learning and contributing in their own unique ways, I have a heart brimming with hope and anticipation. The future is bright. Tossing aside my God-colored umbrella and raincoat, I bask in its warm rays.

SNG

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

Theists, generally worship a very low form of divinity which validates much of mans inhumanity to man. If we unquestionably believe in and embrace as the highest degree of love, a love which kills and destroys, how can that not negatively affect those of us who bow to it?

Atheists, on the other hand, can often see the foolishness of deity worship, and the harm it breeds. So, atheists may in many cases be more moral and caring than those who worship images of vengeance and wrath.

j

• what_Truth?
    what_Truth?

I think it really depends on what kind of atheist you talk to. For instance there are many athiets that beleive humankind on the brink worldwide nucular destruction. By contrast, you have theists (like Jehovah's Witnesses, ironically)who beleive that God will intervine to prevent such a thing.

• doogie
    doogie
    For instance there are many athiets that beleive humankind on the brink worldwide nucular destruction. By contrast, you have theists (like Jehovah's Witnesses, ironically)who beleive that God will intervine to prevent such a thing.

wouldn't God's intervention just be a different cause for the same effect? aren't both groups of individuals you mentioned in essence believing the same thing?...that the price for mankind's actions is destruction.

edited to add: the only difference is one group dreads the prospect while the other welcomes it.

• heathen
    heathen

I think atheists have wreaked as much havock on the world as do the "theists". Communist russia was very blood thirsty in it's day as atheists , communist china won't give people the right to worship God either and is very abusive to it's people over the issue . Then there is communist cuba . It's true that theists are mostly abusive control freaks and throughout history had the world in their grip of paranoia and had many wars over who believed right . I still am somewhat of a theist but I don't practice religion so theists that don't practice religion are less likely to be one of the bad guys . LOL I think that all the people that suffer and die in this world especially young children are likely to have another chance in the future .That is something an atheist would not consider .I am glad I don't have any children to worry about .

• doogie
    doogie

heathen-

just to clarify, i'm not trying to say that those that believe in god are to blame for the the terrible things that have happened in history and atheists are not. my point was just that i wonder if atheists are actually better equipped than theists to see the good (both present and future) in human society rather than focus on the negative aspects.

• what_Truth?
    what_Truth?

not at all doogie. For one thing not all of mankind's actions are destructive so logically the price of its actions can't be destruction. Second, unlike athiests, most theists beleive that god will only allow mankind to ruin itself to a certain point before he steps in and either

1) creates a series of coincidences and free will suspensions that prevents the ruiners from carrying out their plan (i.e. devine intervention)

2) creates a series of paranormal events that prevents the ruiners from carrying out their plan (i.e. miracles)

3) destroys all ruiners and their supporters before the plan can be carried out (i.e. Armageddon)

4) Allows ruiners to destroy the earth but rescues all of his faithful ones first (i.e. rapture)

• doogie
    doogie

what_truth?-

i think i see your point. i guess the thing is, the assumption underlying each of those scenarios is that mankind will at some point decline to the threshold God allows at which point God will intervene. the atheist however does not believe that a future intervention will occur. some atheists may believe that humans will ruin themselves (via nuclear warfare or something else) as you mentioned, but some do not. i am one of the 'nots'.

however, at least from a Christian perspective, a future divine intervention of some sort has to occur. thus, society has to continue to decline. humans as a species overcoming their difficulties is not a possibility.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit