is the future more or less bleak for the atheist?

by doogie 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• doogie
    doogie

I suppose you mean making the world a better place is convenience and luxury ? I'm talking more of eliminating the hunger and all people being equal , the end of all illness and suffering even death .

No, actually I was referring to humanitarian issues as well. The lines between the rich and poor are still firmly set (both between nations and individuals), but IMO they are nowhere near what they were in centuries past. Slavery, while still practiced in some parts of the world, is not even close to as prevalent or widely acceptable as in the past. A multitude of diseases have been wiped out and countless others that for centuries were terminal are now completely treatable. People are living longer than ever before. Those in positions of power don?t hold even close to the power that they used to (I know, many still have too much power?but it?s progress). Even in the past several decades we have made huge strides in this country towards equality of the races and sexes. This is not the case everywhere, but progress has to begin somewhere. I have confidence that these trends will slowly spread worldwide.

Of course, as I mentioned, there is a TON of room for improvement in each of these categories and humans have a LOOOONG way to go, but I believe history shows that humans have been making progress in humanitarian areas.

These things no society will ever accomplish

you certainly have the right to believe that humans will not succeed on their own, and i respect your right, but to state that 'no society will ever accomplish' these things is simply an assumption and certainly not an established fact.

but that is the hope involved with the christian belief

As I have just shown, although I disagree with you as to the means of accomplishing the things you mentioned, this is also the hope involved with this atheist?s beliefs. Atheism does not automatically preclude you from such positive traits as optimism, self-worth and a purposeful life?things that IMHO are intrinsic to an individual?s desire to believe in God and religion. which was my point all along.

In comparison your faith is wasted .

we each have faith, just in different things. there's a song that says:

"it's not that i don't believe in jesus christ,

it's just that i care about other things.

this world could surely use some miracles,

until then i'll put my faith in human beings."

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

Hey doogie,

I really agree with you regarding the progress you see in humanity. Sometimes people like to look back on some imaginary past when everyone treated each other with respect and no one locked their doors at night and the crickets chirped happily. But that ignores the massive problems that existed back then.

I think things are better today than they were before. The scale of what needs to be done is so large that sometimes it can seem an impossible goal, but there is forward movement.

SNG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit