Xtra-terrestrials...what are your thoughts?

by Bas 31 Replies latest jw friends

• Bas
    Bas

Well I don't believe in UFO's and abductions and that sort of thing but I do believe more that there must be extraterrestrial intelligence than I believe in the existance of a God.

I used to visit this site to read about the thoughts of serious scientists on the subject, it's the us-government sponsored project of SETI:

• jula71
    jula71

Bas, what?s up bud? This is another topic I?m torn on. On one hand the universe is so vast that our mind can barley comprehend it. To think that Earth is the only planet with life is a bit illogical when you think how large an area we are talking about. And I would like to hope there are beings smarter then we are. But on the flip side, if that were true I think we would have more proof of their existence.

• Bas
    Bas

Jula, I agree, It's just to vast to not harbour intelligent beings. But I don't think they'd be much smarter then we are, they could be at a diffrent, technolical and spiritual higher point of civilisation. What i mean to say is that many of todays people could be considered way more smart than those living 200years ago, but this is merely a result of us having access to more accurate knowledge and science.

Also I think an xtraterrestrial civilisation might have moved beyond radio as means to transmit messages, which would make the SETI-program useless (since they look for radiosignals). In fact the Aliens might be actively hiding themselves from us to avoid unneccesary confusion on earth.

Note: The Seti-program is currently NOT sponsored by the US but by donations from individuals and private foundations.

• El blanko
    El blanko

There appears to be more information concerning spirit and ghost encounters than 'alien' manifestations or sightings.

Some claim that aliens are simply demons shape-shifting to suit the fashion & trend of the day. These ones also claim that Ufology is simply a distraction, employed by Satan to turn the curious away from the real source of truth.

Another group claim that this whole area is illuminati puppetry and these greys etc only exist to confuse and misdirect. This sounds a bit like the demon theory as well to my mind

Maybe the two groups are linked? Or maybe, Aliens are simply other lifeforms buzzing the earth.

Me - not sure... my head is spinning from theory to theory.

• DHL
    DHL
    And I would like to hope there are beings smarter then we are. But on the flip side, if that were true I think we would have more proof of their existence.

Hmmmh, once I've read something about a "zoo theory". It says these folks exist and they are smarter than us. And that because of that they just watch us like we watch the monkeys in the zoo and they don't want get in contact with us because they think we are too stupid.

Not very flattering for mankind indeed.

I personally have never met any of these beings but I do believe a really smart person wouldn't pollute its environment or throw bombs on someone else for presenting a different opinion. Maybe we're really not that smart. Well, at least not smart enough to meet with aliens expectations? Who knows?

• Bas
    Bas

DHL, i read about the same "zoo" theory on the SETI site, that we just might be the new neighbours on the block, I'll try and find the article and paste it up here.

here it is:

• Golf
    Golf

Hey Bas, if I'm fighting my enemy, I like to see who they are, I don't want to be shadow boxing.

Golf

• Jesika
    Jesika

I think it would be arrogant of us to think we are the only intelligant life in this vast place.

Now as to why we don't have more proof, or we are some kind of zoo............who knows.

I do find it very interesting and love watching the science channel when they have specials on stuff like that.

Hell.......who's to know we don't already have proof and the government is afraid of the impact it would have and chooses not to disclose it to us.

You can specualte all day............but hey........it's fun to sometimes.

Jes

• Hecklerboy
    Hecklerboy

I myself believe that there are beings on other planets. My mother and I used to get into heated discussion because she said that the bible says nothing about life on other planets. I said just because the bible doesn't mention it, that doesn't mean it can't be true.

I was watching an interesting program on this subject the other day and on very respected professor of physics brought up a point I never thought of. We always think of an alien race only being hundreds of years more advance than us. Therefore there is no way they could manage to travel through space and visit our planet. But when you take into consideration that the universe is over 12 billions years old, an alien race could easily be over a billion years more advance than us. They could have come up with ways of traveling through the universe that we can't even conceive of right now. So the thought of aliens visiting our planet isn't that far fetched after all. Heck we have already theorized about wornholes to travel through space. I say it's just a matter of time before we will be visiting other planets outside our solar system. Remember, just over a 100 years ago people would have thought you were a nut case if you said one day we would be flying around in big metal tubes with wings or landing on the moon. Makes one think.

(Disclaimer: I have never seen a UFO, been abducted by aliens, or attended any Star Trek conventions. I just your average guy with an open mind.)

• cheeseman
    cheeseman

To think a rough estimate of 100 billion galaxies fills our "known" universe, most containing billions of stars each with respective planets, it's hard to come up with a reason why life couldn't have evolved elsewhere (assuming that we did evolve of course). I don't believe that if there is life elsewhere we ought to have come across it by now. Maybe they are searching in the darkness like we are, billions of light years away. Maybe they are not as intelligent, like the animals of our planet.

What I'd like to get my head around is what was there before the big bang? If we did evolve, we can always hold on to the hope that there are other life forms out there. Without that...and without our Gods...the universe would be a lonely place indeed.

Could it be that the thing we fear most is true? That we are alone in all respects? Enjoy it while you can folks!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit