Question for those who work in food service...

by Elsewhere 15 Replies latest jw friends

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

i think the law has to do with not boiling a kid goat in its mothers milk

• undercover
    undercover

Restaurant owners calculate potential income based on how many times they "turn a table over". When someone occupies a table eating food from another establishment they lose that one seat or table. Not a big deal during slow hours but during peak hours it can add up if too many people do it so many places say "no outside food".

But I can't see it being that big of a deal at a place like Barnes and Nobles where people hang and read and never buy anything.

I remember way back in aux. pio. days during the summer months there was a diner that all the JWs would eat lunch at in a particular territory. The problem was that they didn't order a lot of food. They brought their lunch in and ordered drinks, sometimes a side order and that was usually it. One day a brother, who worked construction and was in his workclothes was at the counter eating when a couple of carloads of JWs showed up. The owner commented out loud, "Oh no, there's those JWs again. They just take up all the tables and never order anything or tip the girls". The brother was embarrassed and managed to slide out without being seen by the other JWs. Now the upshot of the whole thing is that when he went back and told the friends about what happened, hoping to embarrass them a little, they got indignant and vowed to never "eat" there again. Like the diner owner missed their few pitiful dollars anyway.

• Beachbender
    Beachbender

I`ve worked in and out of a few different places here in Florida through the years, I observed that it`s pretty much up to the business owner. I myself as a server never turned anyone away as long as something was purchased. I had many families that I served and they brought burgers or whatever for their kids while they dined on what we offered. Kids are very picky eaters as we know! Usually if I was hospitable these would be repeat customers and turn into great tippers!!

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

Keep complaining to Barnes and Nobles, and you might be able to get a gift certificate.

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

I was at a Starbucks in Memphis TN last year and sat there because we had walked all day around downtown Memphis. Mind you, this is in the middle of a huge mall with many seating places. I sat down and my friend went and purchased a drink she wanted me to try (it was awful btw) from the Starbucks counter so I sat there while she went over and bought a chocolate covered apple from another vendor. While I was sitting there, the manager told us we couldn't sit there because we didn't buy anything from Starbucks. I told him we had bought a drink from him and we were resting before going back to our hotel. He said you've finished your drink and you'll have to leave and sit somewhere else. I told him I was highly offended by this...that I was an out-of-towner just sitting for a few minutes before I went my merry way back to our hotel which was several blocks away. I said it wasn't like I didn't buy anything from you. I had bought a drink and I said it wasn't like you needed the table there were plenty of other tables available. He became irate and made all sorts of threats against my friend and I...he then got mad at my friend for eating the chocolate covered apple at "his table." Evidently, Starbucks had their own seating in this food court. Then I just had it with this guy...I told him he was a horrible representative of Memphis hospitality and he should get a job where he doesn't work with people and get a job where he scrapes dead animals off the streets...my friend and I left to go back to our hotel and I will never patronize Starbucks again!

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz

Sounds like a sorry excuse to me. Here in California there is a chinese food resturant that my co-workers like to frequent about twice a week. I can't eat Chinese food because it bothers my stomach. So on chinese food day, I go to the subway next door and bring it back. They eat their food, and I eat subway at the chinese place. No one has ever said anything to me about it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit