Question for those who work in food service...

by Elsewhere 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Today I went out to get lunch at a little shop that sells sandwiches. I got one, but they were closing so I could not eat it there. I decided to go to a nearby Barns & Noble bookstore with a Starbucks style café. My plan was to buy a newspaper and a cup of coffee and enjoy my sandwich. (I'm not in the habit of sitting at one of their tables without at least buying a cup of coffee.)

Just as I was picking up a newspaper a Barns & Noble employee told me I had to leave because I could not bring food from another food service because it violated health codes.

What I want to know is if this guy was blow smoke up my ass because he wanted to sell me HIS sandwich. It sounds absurd that one cannot buy food from one food service and bring it to another.

All I know for sure is that Barns & Noble have lost my business for awhile.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

The closest law I can find regarding this prohibits bringing food from HOME to a food establishment.

http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/fc01-3.html

3-201.11 Compliance with Food Law.*
    (B) Food prepared in a private home may not be used or offered for human consumption in a food establishment.

• 2escaped lifers
    2escaped lifers

Never heard of a health regulation like that, I believe the employee was trying to get you to purchase their own products.

Several years ago, I saw a restaurant manager get fired for this very thing. My father and I were involved with the design and construction of a number of Jack's Hamburger restaurants, popular here in the South. Their corporate offices are here in Alabama, or at least they were almost twenty years ago, anyway. We were eating at a Jack's that we were going to renovate with one of the Jack's corporate VP's, and we watched the manager (who didn't know who we were, or who the VP was) go over to a guy with food from a nearby restaurant, but a Jack's drink. The manager told him he would either have to purchase his whole meal there, or he would have to leave. Before the offended customer could get up out of his seat, the VP had jumped up, chewed out the manager and fired him on the spot in front of the guy, apologized to the man and told him he could have a free burger there for the rest of his life, wrote out a note to the fact and signed it and gave it to the man.

So, I don't think there is any legit health department code that would preclude what you did.

Brandon

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    Before the offended customer could get up out of his seat, the VP had jumped up, chewed out the manager and fired him on the spot in front of the guy, apologized to the man and told him he could have a free burger there for the rest of his life, wrote out a note to the fact and signed it and gave it to the man.

Damn! Kick ass!

• bem
    bem

States may differ I realize and it has been a long time since I worked in food service: But, in Arizona you could not bring any outside food into another establishment , Children could not take anything to school like cakes, cookies, or anything in an un-sealed container.

Here in Oklahoma I have been in restraunts ie. chinese and families brought Mcdonalds etc. in for the kid's with them and they were allowed to stay. So may be up to the owner.

• kaigh
    kaigh

no offense, but I work at a bar that during the day doubles as a chuckie cheese for kids. (it's the only resaraunt for miles) and parents try to bring in McDonalds and subway. basically it's up to the owner, I know that for some reason when I see those kids bring that food in I am super bi#*% waitress with a mission. Because I have the authority to tell them what to do. I think that it's just a power trip we food industy losers do to have some say in something. But then I could just be talking out my butt and just want to answer somebody's question.

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

Well Elsewhere, I wouldn't go back to that place again if they insulted me. you did buy coffee from them, what the heck I would have told him to stuff it. and just stayed put and had my sammy, coffee and read my paper.

i thought they were kewl in the Lone Star State. hummmm second thoughts happening here.

luv orangefatcatlol

• Mamacat
    Mamacat

I don't know that it is against the health code, but in many places, all businesses have the right to refuse service to anyone they choose for any (or no) reason.

• willyloman
    willyloman
    ...the VP had jumped up, chewed out the manager and fired him on the spot in front of the guy, apologized to the man and told him he could have a free burger there for the rest of his life, wrote out a note to the fact and signed it and gave it to the man.

The WTS has no corresponding corporate officer like this, but if they did, he'd be one busy guy. And the org would be better for it.

• Simon
    Simon

I think you have to look at it from the businesses point of view - they have to pay for the premises (rent, heating and lighting) that you are enjoying and the people to clear up the rubbish etc. Their business plan assumes that they will be selling things to cover these costs so waltzing in and taking up space (potentially from other customers) and not contributing to their costs is a bit off IMO. Yes, I think they should use some judgement and not jump on the odd case but you don't know if it's something that they have a problem with.

Another co. could in effect be a parasite, providing none of the premises and undercutting them on the cost of the food which wouldn't be fair would it?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit