Any ex-LDS - Current LDS posting?

by Qcmbr 36 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Thanks Avishai - but I'm not yet recovering hehe.

• Little Red Hen
    Little Red Hen

Thanks, Q! always wondered.

• louieb78
    louieb78

HMMMM, On the subject of recovering. I heard those LDS meetings last forever, like 3hrs. I think id be asleep. My last JW meeting was only 1hr.

Qcmbr - whats with the everlasting church services, why cant they be spread over the week like the JW's. ?

• SusanHere
    SusanHere

Hi!

Current now and forever LDS here. Favorite sister is JW, also (she says) forever. I'm hoping not, in her case. Anyway, are you LDS or ex? It wasn't clear to me.

Yes, we have the lingo, and that's a hoot. The big difference is the gentleness and humor of the LDS, vs. the ultra-seriousness of the JW. We have the added blessing of knowing that we are SUPPOSED to have joy in this life, not just in the eternities. Maybe that's why our LDS meetings and interactions tend to be more relaxed and low-key, and even the meetings are enjoyable.

As for answering questions, they/we usually will take whatever time you need for your questions, unless they discern that the intent is hostile or Bible-bashing or contentious. Then they are to walk away. Same as in the LDS chats. We'll answer question after question (funny how it's always the same 10 questions, and usually the same 3) forever UNTIL the person reveals himself to be merely contentious or bashing at which time they are ignored and begin whining, "You guys say you'll answer questions but you never do!"

Every case is different, though. Some LDS just don't want to bother with questioners. Though every member is a missionary, it's purely an individual decision how to apply that.

Nice to meet you,

Susan

• SusanHere
    SusanHere

Hi, Louieb,

About the 3-hour long meetings, yes and no. It's not really ONE 3-hour long meeting. It's divided into three parts. One part is Sacrament Meeting, with the entire family together, and speakers and hymns. The second part is where the Brothers go to Priesthood Meeting, broken up by ages, basically. And the Sisters go to Relief Society. The third is Sunday School, where the adult Brothers and Sisters are together, but the youth are divided by ages.

Also, the children, 18 months to 12 years have two hours of Primary, which is their own fun-time, song time, scripture stories, and classes divided by age. That would be during the second and third hours described above.

Sounds complicated, but it's not. It's also not a lot of sitting around being bored. And in every class or meeting except Sacrament Meeting, people are encouraged to ask questions and to share comments and personal experiences (not scripted from any book or magazine).

Hope this clarifies it a bit for you.

Susan

• upside/down
    upside/down

Baptizing the dead and by proxy always puzzled me...

u/d

• SusanHere
    SusanHere

Upside,

Well, we could just dig up the bodies of the dead and dunk them, but, well, it'd get awfully messy awfully fast.

j/k

Actually, there's a wonderful verse in the NT "Else what do they do who are baptized for the dead, if the dead rise not at all" that to us supports the teaching Biblically. We believe they are not sleeping in death, but are fully aware and able to decide for themselves if they want to accept or reject anything done for them by those yet alive. Free agency never ends.

Susan

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit