Isn't Nisan 14 supposed to be April 23rd?

by catchthis 25 Replies latest jw friends

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

catchthis....They did not goof this year. If you follow their rules (which is different than the methodology of the modern Jewish calendar, which inserts Adar II at regular intervals), the date you arrive at for the beginning of Nisan 14 is 24 March 2005. Here's another way of getting to that date. The Memorial in 2004 was held on 4 April 2004. That year the spring equinox fell on 20 March 2004 and the new moon nearest to the equinox fell the very next day on 21 March 2005. Fourteen days later, Nisan 14 fell on 4 April 2005. Having established that, we can count the months of the year until the next Nisan for 2005:

Nisan 1 = 22 March
    Iyar 1 = 20 April
    Sivan 1 = 20 May
    Tammuz 1 = 18 June
    Av 1 = 18 July
    Elul 1 = 17 August
    Tishrei 1 = 15 September
    Cheshvan 1 = 15 October
    Kislev 1 = 13 November
    Tevet 1 = 13 December
    Sh'vat 1 = 11 January
    Adar 1 = 10 February

This would place the end of Adar on 10 March 2005. Now, we could insert an intercalanary Adar II at this point; the modern Jewish calendar does this at fixed leap years, the Society does this if the next full moon after Adar 14 falls before the spring equinox. In 2005, Adar 14 falls on 25 March and the next full moon is on 25 March 2005 -- definitely after the spring equinox which fell on 20 March. Thus, Adar II is not inserted and Nisan 1 begins in March -- not April.

This year's memorial is thus consistent with their general methodology.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

catchthis... Yes they are definitely, and admittedly, following their own calendar because they believe it is how time was reckoned by the early Jews. Now whether they are right in this or not, I have no idea. They cite the 19th-century German scholar Emil Schürer in support, but whether he was right or not is a valid question. We know more now in this century about calendrical disputes in the first century (e.g. the solar calendar vs. the lunar calendar in the Dead Sea Scrolls) than we did before. Is it really true that Jewish calendar in the first century still followed the primitive method without fixed intervals of Adar II? There may be room for doubt on this....

• AshtonCA
    AshtonCA

Okay, I just learned that even though I thought that Nissan 14 was on the 23rd this month, I come to find out from my Jewish brother that because it's a Jubilee year, the jewish calendar has an extra month in it, which makes Passover is not March 23rd, it's April 23rd. I called my brother freaking out because I thought last night was the 23rd and it was the 24th (helps to look at the calendar, brainless wonder that I am!), and I had thought I missed it and celebrated it with the dubs! Which I did, but my brother said that I didn't miss it and not to worry, just put the tasteless bread and Maneshevitz away for a month and all will be well, doh!!! And here I was touting to all of you about how the Dubs missed it by one day, turns out they missed it by a freaking month! Because they don't follow the jewish calendar, they don't go by the Jubilee year, which means they are not even in the month of nissan!

Ash

• AshtonCA
    AshtonCA
    Passover's the 24th.

Passover begins on the 23rd.

First Seder - Night of Saturday, April 23
    First Day - Sunday, April 24
    Second Seder - Night of Sunday, April 24
    Second Day - Monday, April 25
    Seventh Day - Saturday, April 30
    Eighth Day - Sunday, May 1

Some sites do say it begins on the 24th, but the site Igot the above info says othewise. I'll ask my jewish brother. He celebrates it with a sedar.

Ash

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Here's a somewhat polemical piece on the 2005 Jewish calendar:

• heathen
    heathen

For all we know the freaks are trying to pull a quick one over on everybody . The" apostates" are all too interested in this stuff these days . The only thing they seem to have right about it is that it was to replace passover and observed once a year . Whether or not they can actually come up with the correct time of year is something worth discussing . They have proven time and again that they are a bunch of shmucks .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit