Isn't Nisan 14 supposed to be April 23rd?

by catchthis 25 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

The WTS says they follow the lunar calendar as it can be observed in Jerusalem. They say they don't follow the "corrupt," "apostate" relgious views of the Jews today that are descendants of those Jews rejected completely as a nation in 70 A.D.

The WTS thinks they are so pure and that the remnant are the true anointed. Of course, they are the people who gave the world 1874, 1914, 1915, the 1940's and 1975 as true dates.

Love, Blondie

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Hmmmm. This year the spring equinox falls on 20 March 2005 at 149 AM EST. That corresponds to 20 March 2005 849 PM in Jerusalem. Next I checked www.skyviewcafe.com to see when the "new moon nearest the spring equinox can be observed at sunset in Jerusalem". At 31° 47' N 35° 13' E, and at UT +2 (Jerusalem time zone), the new moon was observed at 1110 AM on 10 March 2005 and will next be seen at 1132 PM on 8 April 2005. Apparently the Society has picked the new moon before the spring equinox to start their calander, which leads to their putative Nisan 14 on 24 March 2005. Since 24 March occurs after the spring equinox and not before it, an intercalanary month is not inserted before Nisan 1.

• Mulan
    Mulan
    so nisan 14 should always fall just after spring, the first full moon.

not exactly.................it's the first full moon, following the first new moon, after the Spring equinox.

As I see it, they made a mistake this year.

• catchthis
    catchthis
    the new moon was observed at 1110 AM on 10 March 2005 and will next be seen at 1132 PM on 8 April 2005. Apparently the Society has picked the new moon before the spring equinox to start their calander, which leads to their putative Nisan 14 on 24 March 2005.

It does indeed appear that they jumped the gun...

Does anyone have a copy of this year's KM that shows the date/time of the memorial? Usually, they make mention of Nisan 14 in the announcement - I was just wondering if they referenced Nisan 14 this year too.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Mulan....Actually, they don't say that. It is the new moon nearest to the spring equinox, not necessarily after the equinox. That means in some years, the full moon precedes the equinox. This is one such year.

*** w59 3/15 p. 187 Why Celebrate the Lord?s Supper? ***

Nisan is the first month of the Jewish lunar year and begins with the visible new moon nearest the spring equinox.

*** w60 4/1 p. 198 The Anniversary That Must Be Kept by Christians ***

Yes, according to the lunar calendar that God gave the Israelites, the year began in the spring with the new moon nearest the spring equinox; the equinox usually falling on March 21, the first day of spring. Nisan or Abib, the first month, began with the visible new moon nearest that date.

*** rs p. 269 par. 2 Memorial (Lord?s Evening Meal) ***

The beginning of the month of Nisan was the sunset after the new moon nearest the spring equinox became visible in Jerusalem.

• catchthis
    catchthis

Regarding the Feb. 2005 KM, nevermind. I just found my wife's copy, and in all 8 pages not one reference is made to Nisan 14. This entire KM is basically dedicated to the memorial and the preaching work surrounding it. But not one mention on how March 24 was conceived.

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES CELEBRATE THE MEMORIAL ON THE DAY OF THE FIRST FULL MOON THAT FOLLOWS THE VERNAL OR SPRING EQUINOX. Following the Jewish custom/calendar of beginning days from evening to evening, Nisan 14 begins sundown on March 24.

This info from the net:

Friday, 3/25
    Full Moon, 3:58 p.m.

This is the first Full Moon after the March Equinox, and as such helps determine the date of Easter, which this year is March 27.

-Eduardo

• DevonMcBride
    DevonMcBride

Passover starts on April 23 at sundown. The first DAY of Passover is April 24 which is on the calendar, but the Passover seder is held on April 23rd at sundown.

• heathen
    heathen

From what I've heard from the jehovah witnesses is that they can observe the occassion twice a year within a lunar cycle , something like that . Say something should happen in an area where they can't on a particular date they can move it to a different date . Not that it makes any difference anyway unless you plan on participating .

• catchthis
    catchthis

I have gone back and calculated the dates that the JW's have held the memorial along with the Jewish dating and here is what I found. There is a definite 19 year cycle where the JW's do not follow the Nisan 14 date. 2005, 1986, 1967, etc. Even in these past years, JW's have referenced the Jewish dating system as is shown here for 1967:

*** w67 3/15 p. 163 You Are Invited ***

Since the day that took place, according to the Bible, was Nisan 14 on the ancient Jewish calendar, faithful Christians have endeavored to keep it on that specific day of the year and in the very way Jesus instructed. This year Nisan 14 corresponds to our March 25, after sundown.

So the question remains, are JW's following their own "jewish" calendar system or the actual one of the Jews? Because when they say that "Nisan 14 corresponds to...March 25, after sundown," they are not following the Jewish calendar.

It must be one of those pick-and-choose ideas they are so good at.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit