The evidence AGAINST evolution

by AlmostAtheist 68 Replies latest jw friends

• fairchild
    fairchild
    A very good point made in Richard Dawkins "The Blind Watchmaker" was essentially this: Can you imagine any of these complicated systems being useful if they were only slightly less efficient? If the eye couldn't see quite as well, if the legs couldn't bend quite as far, that sort of thing? What if the heart could only pump at 95% efficiency, would it still allow the creature to function? If you can imagine that, then back up to that point. Now, can you imagine it slightly less efficient than that? We're not talking about huge jumps, like black and white vision jumping to color. Just slight changes. If so, then if you carry it back far enough, you can slowly degrade these complex systems and trace (potentially) their evolutionary paths backwards. There really is no point at which you can't just slightly reduce the functionality of the current creature and still have a creature capable of surviving.

So, basically you are saying that our body didn't used to be so sophisticated.. we just evolved to the point where we are right now.. Okay, I really don't know much about the evolution thing and such, but I have seen pictures of prehistoric drawings in caves. When you look at such pictures, the humans didn't look much different from what we look like today. Also, the people back then must have had plenty of motoric skills to make such drawings, they also had well functioning eyes, as they were obviously drawing things they observed in their environment. Our body structure has undergone some minor changes (people are taller than they used to be), primarily through better nutrition and more vitamins, but we still look pretty much like the people on the drawings in the caves.

Now, even if I accepted that we started out being uncomplicated creatures and we evolved to more sophistication, this would still not explain where 'life' actually came from, would it? It also doesn't explain why we die and don't come back (or do we?). My asparagus comes back every year, and so do my roses.

• fairchild
    fairchild

abaddon, sorry I don't have time to reply to yours, have to go to work in a few minutes... will be back later

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    I have seen pictures of prehistoric drawings in caves. When you look at such pictures, the humans didn't look much different from what we look like today.

You're right, but you're only looking back a few thousand years. That's nothing in the evolutionary scale. You're right that the changes we've seen in humans in the past few hundred years (taller, longer lifespans) are nutrition/lifestyle changes, not genetics. If you take a person from the U.S. and make him live like a 15th century peasant, he'll grow up stunted and die at 35 just like they did. Evolution works over much longer periods of time.

Just for the heck of it, why not get that book by Richard Dawkins and give it a read? "The Blind Watchmaker". It's not the easiest book in the world to read, and he's an arrogant guy which grates on me no end, but it's a wealth of information on evolutionary thinking. You don't have to believe it, just read it so you know what it is that you don't believe.

Now, even if I accepted that we started out being uncomplicated creatures and we evolved to more sophistication, this would still not explain where 'life' actually came from, would it?

No, it doesn't touch that question. There's a separate branch of science digging into how it all happened, but there's scant if any evidence of how it all began to work with. Even if they manage to show life originating from non-life in a test tube, that doesn't guarantee that's how it actually started. Lot's of cool theories, but nothing you could hang your hat on.

It also doesn't explain why we die and don't come back (or do we?). My asparagus comes back every year, and so do my roses.
    Did your plants actually die, then get resurrected? Or did they enter a dormant stage to survive the winter, then come out of "hibernation" in the spring? I bet if you went out and poured kerosene all over them, they'd stop coming back.
  • stevenyc
    stevenyc

One question thats always bothered me is why do males have nipples? - Any creationist care to venture a possible answer.

steve.

• doogie
    doogie
    One question thats always bothered me is why do males have nipples?

my girlfriend says it's so she can give me titty-twisters.

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

Abaddon,

Darwin was wrong. People 'knew' the world was round long before the period he refers to with Vox populi, vox Dei. Or, to be fair, some had a bloody good idea and others acted like it was in profound ignorance of the possibility of an edge. Look at the colonisation of the Pacific.

LOL...Abaddon, settle down. You misread the quote. Darwin was simply saying that common sense cannot be trusted in science. He was referring specifically to the idea that the earth revolves around the sun, not that the earth was round. In the days of Copernicus, that was a profoundly non-commonsense idea. Fortunately, science provides us the tools to learn things that "common sense" would not tell us.

I know you agree with this. I think you were just too quick on the trigger finger. :-)

SNG

• cyborgVision
    cyborgVision

Abaddon,

Controlled imagination is a part of any scientific process. You have to make distinction between imagination as in day-dreaming and informed-intuition imagination, there?s your difference.

I personally do not want to be dragged into this discussion as it evokes strong spirits on both sides.
    My intention to post on this thread was, and I want to reiterate, to give some helpful pointers about critically approaching any subject and not to promote my cherished belief system (So let?s leave it at that).

Reason being is that evolution just as religion can generate almost religion-like following.
    Now I know that this statement is bound to attract some criticism but it is true. Though I agree that evolutionists do use scientific method of investigation with an assumption of everything being explainable through natural processes and any suggestion of any kind of design (even if we are talking about intelligence in any shape and form, intelligent universe, nature, etc) is consider scientific heresy, and anyone daring to explore these alternative is bound to be frowned upon by community of his peers. And this is a hard, cold truth about the matter.
    On the other hand many religionists do not engage into rational thinking, hence many of their argument fall short of explaining anything but merely reaffirming evolutionists in belief that all religionists are ?incapable retards?. I know this is hurting comment but lets call things what they are.

I?m not saying again that I do not believe in some parts of evolution theory but just as religion I can not accept it per se or in its entirety if you will.

My opinion is formed solely on what I know and what I?ve heard form other colleagues (some of them also being biologists)

Just a question Abaddon. Since you are such a staunch supporter of evolution may I ask you if you are an expert in the field or are you still a student?

Just a piece of advice to everyone: Do not read too much into whatever you read question everything until you are satisfied. Anything can be explained so that it makes sense. The question is though does it make facts?
    There?s your challenge: to find hard, cold truth. Which means first collect data, then from these data collect facts, once you have facts established then you have information, many factual information start forming the truth.

If this help to anyone I?ll be happiest man alive :o)

• Forscher
    Forscher

Good post Cyborg.

Another thing that makes it a little hard for creationists to articulate their postion well is that they just aren't being allowed into graduate programs in the natural sciences on this side of the pond. The few who do make it through the cracks find themselve weeded-out pretty quickly if they are discovered. As you pointed out, evolution gets the same kind of devotion as any religious doctrine, and since the evolutionists now control the scientific community, they enforce conformitee to their views with the same zeal that characterizes fanatical religionists. Thus, we had the spectacle of an editor of a respected scientific magazine being castigated for allowing an article on scientific design to appear in that magazine.

I'll admit that my area of expertise is not in biology. It is in the social sciences. For that reason I do not have the wide-ranging knowledge of biology itself that some here claim.

Funky, since you miss my point entirely when I pointed out that you where engaging in innapropriate comments on the issue (the flat-earth thing etc...) I'll confine my comments to a rebuttal of the facts which I am going to take a little time to prepare. However, I will point out that, while such comments may make you feel superior, they certainly do not bolster you case.

• AlanF
    AlanF

cyborgVision, your commments about wanting "give some helpful pointers about critically approaching any subject" are generally good. And it's true that "that evolution just as religion can generate almost religion-like following." However, that has nothing to do with the science of evolution as such, but is a problem with how some people use the science, or perhaps, misuse it. Science of all forms has been misused by plenty of people. Hitler's henchmen misused medical science, but that's no black mark against medical science itself. Some advocates of evolution use it as a means of denigrating religion, but that's a complicated question that I will barely touch on in this post.

I want to point out, as I'm sure you're well aware, that the basic notion of evolution -- that populations of plants and animals have changed radically over long periods of time -- is as well established as any other historical science. The fossil record proves that populations have changed over time, and radiometric and other forms of dating techniques establish the time scale. To disagree with these things is like disagreeing with the physics that resulted in the atomic bomb.

What is not so well established -- and what is argued about, often vehemently within the science community -- is the mechanism of evolution. Since in principle there is a range of possible mechanisms, from mutation acted on by natural selection, to direct creation by some unknown, extremely intelligent designers of life, the problem is to figure which is correct.

As you know, in every science the primary methodology to figure things out is to assume that the universe works according to what some would call "natural law" (although this is a misnomer) rather than according to the whims of invisible god-beings that inhabit the air or material objects. Thus, we explain gravity as being an inherent property of our universe, not as the result of some god or gods pulling on material objects. Can anyone prove that gravity is not the result of the latter? No, but most people agree that it's a pretty stupid idea. Similarly, evolutionary scientists look for naturalistic explanations for the evolution of life, rather than supernaturalistic ones. Can they prove that a naturalistic explanation is correct, rather than a supernaturalistic one? No, but the fact that most people are trained from early childhood to believe in some kind of God or gods prevents a lot of them from similarly agreeing that a naturalistic explanation can be correct.

You're correct that many religionists don't engage in rational thinking about evolution. That's why they're rightly viewed with suspicion, or as outright nutjobs, by rational people. Young-earth creationism is clearly irrational, because it goes against too many well-established facts. Old-earth creationism, in its many forms, doesn't pose many coherent explanations for our universe aside from "God did it". The recent notion of "Intelligent Design" does no better, since it's largely a sophisticated argument from ignorance -- "we don't know how evolution could possibly be, so it must not be so."

Most scientists, or educated laymen like me, who know something about evolution and have engaged creationists in discussion, quickly learned that arguing with them is like arguing with Jehovah's Witnesses about problems with their religion. They usually demonstrate extreme ignorance of the subject, and refuse to learn, and keep coming back with either the same nonsense, or just piles and piles of more nonsense. They present a lot of irrational and non-rational arguments. So how can anyone who knows the subject take them seriously?

Take Forscher here. He seems a nice enough person, but demonstrates woeful ignorance of the details of evolution that he writes about. For example, he claims that it has been demonstrated that species have limits of variablity, as proved by sterile hybrids. But he seems not to know about the massive radiation of one or a few founder species of fruitfly in the Hawaiian islands into some 800 non-interbreeding species over a period of many millions of years. Nor does he know about the radiation of cichlid fishes in certain large African lakes like Victoria into hundreds of different species over a period of several million years. There are plenty of other examples of quite recent adaptive radiations. Forscher's mistake is in applying the experience of a few decades of experimental biology to what occurs in the natural world over millions of years.

Forscher also brings up that classic creationist chestnut, "true transitional species just do not occur in the fossil record." Well of course, unless one defines "transitional species" upfront (which creationists never do, so far as I can see), that's a completely meaningless statement, because no matter what examples are trotted out from the fossil record, creationists can just narrow the definition and can say, "See! Now you have two gaps to explain!" While archaeopteryx has been called a transitional species, new fossil discoveries of ancient birds indicate that it probably was not, since more advanced birds seem to have been roughly contemporary with it. But this is not a problem for the notion of transitional species, since it merely means that one possible example has been eliminated. No particular suprise, since the fossil record is demonstrably spotty. Furthermore, Forscher neglected to mention the far more important issue that archaeopteryx was a mosaic of dinosaurian and avian features -- something that creationists absolutely hate to discuss. In other words, archaeopteryx had some features exclusive to certain dinosaurs, and some features exclusive to birds, which perfectly illustrates the notion of evolution.

Funkyderek gave a nice, very detailed answer to Forscher's post, but the latter responded with nothing more than a wrong-headed complaint about being personally attacked. To be taken seriously, Forscher should have responded to Funkyderek's arguments, along with making his complaint. So you can see my point about the futility of trying to intelligently discuss anything with most ardent creationists.

But Forscher wasn't even right about being personally attacked. All that Funkyderek said was that he hoped Forscher's fellow creationists could do better in presenting valid arguments than the ones he just got finished demonstrating were uninformed and/or wrong. And I've shown above why some of them are wrong. Is it any wonder that evolutionists get jaded after dealing with people like that?

In a later post, Forscher complained "that a number of the commentaries here illustrate why creationists are so loathe to try to engage the other side. Already, commentators have questioned our intelligence, our knowledge, etc... It is the old game of attacking the person rather than the message." But he hasn't got the sense to see that he well illustrated why evolutionists generally question the intelligence and knowledge of creationists -- either they fail to respond to criticisms at all, or fail to respond substantively, or they engage in precisely what Forscher complained about but turned right around and did himself -- he wrongly attacked the person of Funkyderek with a dishonest claim.

Later, Forscher illustrated the way that far too many creationists fail to grasp simple analogies, in an exchange so out of touch with reality that it's amusing. Funkyderek had said:

Creationism is not "the other view". It's like flat-earthism. The first time you heard somebody say that if the earth was round, people would fall off the bottom, you might be polite and explain gently and carefully about how gravity works. The hundredth time you heard the same tired argument - even if it was from a new source - you might be a little less helpful.

Now, Funkyderek might have been more clear, saying something like:

Creationism is not the only other view; there are other views. Furthermore, arguing about creationism is like arguing about flat-earthism in the sense that you hear the same tired old arguments again and again, even though they've been refuted time and again. The first time you heard somebody say that if the earth was round, people would fall off the bottom, you might be polite and explain gently and carefully about how gravity works. The hundredth time you heard the same tired argument - even if it was from a new source - you might be a little less helpful.

But I had no trouble understanding what he meant, the first time I read it. But Funkyderek's point went completely over Forscher's head, who replied:

Flat-earthism? I think you just proved my point Funkydereck. If that wasn't a personal jab at those you don't agree with, what is? And that IS the problem.
    And of course, Forscher simply ignored Funkyderek's comment:
    Now, if you have a compelling argument, please make it; but don't expect to be able to talk nonsense here and not get called on it.

Both Funkyderek and Abaddon explained this to Forscher, but in true creationist fashion, he ignored it, and went on (in the post immediately below yours) to repeat his error. In that post, Forscher made a typically horrible creationist argument. I'll refocus it slightly, so that readers can see how bad it really is:

Another thing that makes it a little hard for flat-earthists to articulate their postion well is that they just aren't being allowed into graduate programs in the natural sciences on this side of the pond. The few who do make it through the cracks find themselves weeded out pretty quickly if they are discovered. As was pointed out, round-earthism gets the same kind of devotion as any religious doctrine, and since the round-earthists now control the scientific community, they enforce conformity to their views with the same zeal that characterizes fanatical religionists. Thus, we had the spectacle of an editor of a respected scientific magazine being castigated for allowing an article on scientific flat-earthism to appear in that magazine.

The point is that mere complaints like this don't prove anything, and so are useless. The only thing that matters is the facts about the subject at hand. And so far, Forscher and whatever other creationists have commented on this thread, have provided no facts whatsoever.

Finally, Forscher said: "I'll confine my comments to a rebuttal of the facts which I am going to take a little time to prepare." Somehow, I think he's going to exactly that: try to rebut the facts.

AlanF

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

I've read a lot of these threads regarding the evolution/creation debate and it becomes painfully obvious as far as I can see that the creationists haven't really got a leg to stand on as far as presenting evidence against evolution. Because of this and the small amount of material I've read I consider myself an evolutionist, even though I really don't know sh*t about the subject (Im reading up on it right now). When you're a good little dub for 28 years studying evolution is kinda frowned upon.

What is the point of this thread? What I would personally love to hear are the guys like AlanF, FunkyDerek, seattleniceguy and Abaddon for sh*ts and giggles argue FOR creation just to give us some idea of what these discussions could be other than to teach dudes like me about evolution. What would an intellegent discussion about the creation vs. evolution debate be like? Are there any chinks in the evolution argument at all? It just seems like there is nowhere educated creationists can go with this other than to have blind faith.

GBL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit