The evidence AGAINST evolution

by AlmostAtheist 68 Replies latest jw friends

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

My question earlier in this thread was essentially, "If it's true of species that they can't interbreed, how would evolution ever produce a truly new species?" The thought is that through some mutation or other a new species was born, but it would have no one to breed with and would die. This coming from my vast education and experience in the field of biology which consists of having had a puppy when I was 5. And I also helped in my parents garden when they made me do it.

The article pointed to at talkOrigins was helpful: http://www.talkorigins.org/indexcc/CB/CB910.html

It pointed out that there are species that can interbreed, though rarely. So it isn't quite black and white (little in life is), there's plenty of room for a gray species to popup and differentiate itself. It also pointed out that chromosome counts can spontaneously change, giving rise to a potentially new species. It further documented some examples of new species that have come into existence in our lifetimes, proving that at least some species were not direct creations by anybody. (The fact that these mutations are usually harmful is not at all relevant. If one mutation in a million, or even a billion, was only 1% beneficial, that would be enough fuel to roll the evolutionary machine along. The harmful mutations would simply die and be gone.)

This thread really is about creationists making their points known. Qcmbr stated his views, though little explanation was provided. If you would care to expound on them a bit, that would ne interesting.

Dave

• rocketman
    rocketman

My post would have been better suited for a recent thread on the Dino-birdie connection, but that thread seemed to end abruptly while this one was still cooking. So, showing no sense of proper thread decorum, I posted here. Ten lashes with a wet noodle for me.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

Forscher:

Funkyderek said:

"Hopefully, they'll do better than you - but I doubt it."

IMHO, that was totally unessecary to the discusion and condescending on your part.

Hmm, perhaps. And yet so far no creationist has done much better in this thread, and the above was the only point I made that you addressed.

I think that a number of the commentaries here illustrate why creationists are so loathe to try to engage the other side. Already, commentators have questioned our intelligence, our knowledge, etc... It is the old game of attacking the person rather than the message.

It's not "attacking the person" to question someone's knowledge when it is clear they do not have a strong grasp on the subject. When people continue to advance the same flawed arguments even after being corrected and shown contrary evidence, it is not unreasonable to question their intelligence and/or honesty.

one thing I can say is that, in my experience, when one needs to take personal digs at those who hold the other view, then one backhandedly acknowledges that their own position is not as strong as one claims.

Creationism is not "the other view". It's like flat-earthism. The first time you heard somebody say that if the earth was round, people would fall off the bottom, you might be polite and explain gently and carefully about how gravity works. The hundredth time you heard the same tired argument - even if it was from a new source - you might be a little less helpful. Now, if you have a compelling argument, please make it; but don't expect to be able to talk nonsense here and not get called on it.

• Forscher
    Forscher

Funkydereck said:

Creationism is not "the other view". It's like flat-earthism. The first time you heard somebody say that if the earth was round, people would fall off the bottom, you might be polite and explain gently and carefully about how gravity works. The hundredth time you heard the same tired argument - even if it was from a new source - you might be a little less helpful.

Flat-earthism? I think you just proved my point Funkydereck. If that wasn't a personal jab at those you don't agree with, what is? And that IS the problem.

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

AlmostAtheist,

You asked about speciation events and how this would work. I think you may be misunderstanding how speciation works.

Speciation is really a non-event. It's not as though two creatures have a baby one day and boom! it's another species. It usually happens when two populations of the same species become geographically isolated. Each continues adapting to the local environment, but the local environment is different. If and when the two meet up again, if they cannot or do not choose to interbreed, a new species has been established. If they do interbreed, by definition, there is no species boundary yet.

Denton provides a fascinating example of a phenomenon that illustrates this called circular overlaps. This occurs when a species progressively moves out in one direction, making its way around the world. Each population interbreeds with neighboring populations, but the two ends are totally distinct and cannot interbreed.

The classic case of this is the two species of Eupopean gull - the herring gull (Larus argentatus) and the lesser black backed gull (Larus fuscus). In Europe the two species are distinct. They do not interbreed and are quite different in terms of appearance and behaviour. However, if one geos east across Russia and Sibera the herring gull does not occur and the lesser black backed gull becomes increasingly unlike the European tye and comes gradually, by the time one reaches the Bering Straits, to resemble the herring gull. Similarly, if one travels west across the Atlantic the lesser black back does not occur but the herring gull, which is found right across the northern regions of North America, increasingly comes to resemble the lesser black backed gull the farther west one goes. In Eastern Siberia there is a form of gull which is almost exactly intermediate between the herring gull and the lesser black backed gull. All the different races interbreed with adjactent races except at the two ends of the ring where the two forms are two distinct non-interbreeding species. One can trace, step by step, the formation of the two species by following the intergrading subspecies right round the northern hemisphere. A more dramatic demonstration of the reality of speciation in nature can hardly be imagined! --Denton, Evolution: A Theory in Crisis, 1985, pp. 81-82.

SNG

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

Forscher:

Flat-earthism? I think you just proved my point Funkydereck. If that wasn't a personal jab at those you don't agree with, what is? And that IS the problem.

It's not a personal attack at all. As I tried to point out your opinion is not just one I "don't agree with" but one that is demonstrably at odds with observed reality. When the nonsense you posted was exposed as such, you got offended. You ignored the facts I provided that undermine your position and instead focused on my dismissive attitude towards your inaccurate and ill-conceived polemic. It is my contention that without ignoring facts like these, you could not remain a creationist. I will go further and say that I believe the reason you are so quick to take offence is that your position is intellectually indefensible.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Sorry Forscher, but if you think people haven't noticed that rather than making any statement about the erroneous claims you made earlier, or trying to refute the evidence presented showing those claims to be false, you complain about how your beliefs are spoken of, then you are wrong.

If your beliefs cannot be defended is it any surprise to you that they are spoken of in this way?

Why not stop complaining and actually defend your beliefs? It seems to me 'rightous indignation' is something that might make you feel better, but it certainly doesn't make the claims you've made any more belivable.

And just as 'Muslims' get labelled with all sorts of things based on the actions of some, so too do Creationists. It was before your time on this board, but there have been threads on this board where creationists have objected to negative characterisations of creationists but subsequently been unable to show these negative claims (about honesty, scientific competence, etc.) were unfounded.

If all you see of Muslims is the negative element of that culture/belief system, rather than people you live side-by-side with peacefully, you will have negative opinions about them.

I don't doubt your sincerity. Please don't doubt mine. I am sorry that due to the behaviour and claims of other creationists you are given 'a hard time'. Maybe you are different.

If you wish to despute that there is anything wrong with creationist claims and conduct, please do so. As I have had the discussion before I can tell you that you would probably have to admit that some creationists make misleading claims and present evidence in a very selctive manner.

If you wish to prove that your claims are valid and different from the claims we have heard before very very often, please do so.

Just complaining about the 'unfairness' of it all only demonstrates your ability to complain, not your ability to defend your beliefs regarding creationism.

• cyborgVision
    cyborgVision

There is a lot that can be said about evolution and certainly there are some valid points that need to be investigated further. One thing that is clear to certain extent is that micro-evolution is happening within species, i.e. minor changes in some physical characteristics. Also it is also valid that at least on skeleton level there are some commonalities (I wouldn't use word similarities just yet)

However, it is becoming increasingly clear that mutation alone cannot account for all the diversity even if you give it a timeline of universe and not earth alone. So is there some other mechanism? Perhaps. Can small changes amount to big ones till you have entirely a new species? No one can prove it and there is no evidence for such a massive changes taking place in fosil record (not for now anyway - will they turn up? hard to imagine after 200 of search but possible).

This is all speaking on macro level, which is fair since that?s how Charles Darwin started whole thing by observing visible similarities. Things get much more complicated though as you delve deeper and deeper into the micro level. One thing that you must not forget is that we are talking about living machines. And I am deliberately using word machines. Reason why is shear complexity of their structure, their collocation, their biological synchronization and balance of chemical reaction which is to say the least mind boggling.

As much as we (talking generally) as humans are keen to explain it all in natural terms it becomes increasingly difficult to account for all known and unknown processes that are taking place.

While in a lab you can create biological substances through guided processes it is as far from living organism as a brick is from Taj Mahal.

The lingering question is then can we completely discount intelligent design?? Well, it is like in the court room and you are juror, if you have a reasonable doubt that it is possible to be created by itself then you have to accept possibility of intelligent design and vice versa.

On the personal level being of scientific (though not biological) professional background I have hard time accepting evolution. Primary reason why is that is still very hypothetical and evolutionists unlike other scientists have luxury of being able to construct theory that can make enormous assumptions (dare I say assumptions upon assumption upon ?) that may or may not be accepted by their peers which often doesn?t matter because it is still but a theory.

Nevertheless, it is a theory that sets scientific framework and everyone accepts it until something better comes by.

It also has its good side in that it serves as a buffer that prevents religiosity and dogmatism overtaking our school system.

Should you believe it?? Well it is for you to decide whether something so complex like say your TV can be created by set of natural processes. And I do mean it, Ameba is much more complicated then your TV set is. If you don?t believe try studying it and see how much you can learn about Amebas. Just because something is minute it doesn?t diminish in complexity. In fact, often contrary is the truth.

My advice is, study and ask critical questions, scientists are not infallible. Often they are the ones that least believe their own assumptions. But hey you?ve got to make your name known doing something just as your favorite car mechanic :o)

Keeping that in mind, be critical, just as you are now about WT doctrines and explanations.

Happy research.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Cyborg

mutation alone cannot account for all the diversity

No one said it did. You can have variation in a species without mutation. Some will simply be better at reproducing offspring that in turn survive to reproduce than others, just as some horses win races and others don't simply on the basis of natural variation (or un-natural variation) as selected for by envronmental factors.

This means "beneficial" characteristics (to survival in an environment) are strengthened and refined. Some individuals in a population will have environmental selection pressure that is different to the same population elsewhere. The population will eventually split as different characteristics are being favoured on the basis of the environmental pressure of a sub-population's habitat. Those populations would at first be interfertile but eventually drift will take place between sub-populations that are not in contact with each other to the extent that breeding either does not take place (for behavioural reasons) even if creatures from two populations do meet each other, or cannot take place and result in a fertile pairing.

Mutation is grist to the mill as occasionally one will occur that has a net benfit.

The herring gull example given above is a beautiful one of geographical speciation as it goes from interbreeding but distinct populations to non-interbreeding distinct populations. No mutation, just geographical variation building to an extent there is a speciation event.

A good example of a mutation occuring with net benefits is that of sickle-cell trait, which whilst very bad for those with two sets of the gene is beneficial for anyone with one set of the gene who lives in an area where Malaria is rife, as it makes infection of the bloodcells harder (if I'm explaining that right). This mutation is not selected for outside of such areas. Another one with humans is lactose tolerance. It appears that those populations that utilised dairy products had an awful lot of selection pressure favouring those with the mutation, to the extent that now entire populations of humans usually have the gene. In populations where dairy products were not utilised for food the presense of lactose tolerance is not selcetd for and is uncommon as there's no benefit to it.

Cyborg, I appreciate your POV; it was what I had before studying biology, which I only did after exiting the Dubbies. That doesn't mean I am right, but I changed my opinions for reasons, and the counter arguments you use against evolution are ones I once used and then discarded as I came to understood evolutionary biology better.

Your comments about TV sets and amobeas are nicely handled here. http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/abioprob/abioprob.html

No evolutionary biologist would ever claim smallness is equal to simplicity so I don't know why you try to disprove a statement that hasn't been made.

Of course all science makes assumptions; something which it shares in common with theism. Physics is built on constants that are in certain cases assumptions, albeit educated ones. But science operates by a set of rules regarding evidence. This does not make it infallable, but I just want to make clear that evolutionary biology does not use different rules to other areas of scienece. It is prevented (just as with geology and cosmology) from providing proof in the way someone working with, say, organic chemistry could provide proof of a theory, but that is not neccesarily due to a weakness or error of theory but is a reasonable concquence of the timescales involved.

One sees evolution occuring around us at the rate one would expect. We can't 'put on' the development of a new phylum or kingdom in the way that you can play with chemicals when you want to show your theory is right. But the theory really holds out well; look at the parrallel sets of evidence from evolution in a mammalian dominated environment when compared to a marcupial dominated environment (AUstralia) or an avian dominated environment (New Zealand). It all fits the same theory.

Of course, one might say, rather than "can we completely discount intelligent design?", "Is intelligent design a plausable theory?"

The first phrasing carries a presuppositon or assumption that there is something to discount. That is not scientific as there is no evidence pointing directly to intelligent design, only inferences based upon and opinions about evolutionary processes. It's th difference between "can we competely discount Santa Claus as a mechanism for Christmas present delivery?" and "is Santa Claus a plausable theory of Christmas present delivery?"

If one asks if ID is a plausable theory, and goes to the base concept of the theory, that complexity requires intelligent design, one is immediately lost in a never-ending circular question that can only be escaped from by using non-sceinfic claims.

If complexity requires an intelligent designer, who made the designer, and who made the designer's designer, and who made the designer's designer's designer, ad nausium?

One can claim the designer is non-complex. One can claim that the designer pre-existed and is timeless.

Both claims are huger assumptions than any evolutionary scientist has ever made. Even when they stuck a dinosaur's horns in the wrong place, they knew there were there. ID doesn't know if there were "horns" let alone where they went but bases its entire theory on the presuppositon there were "horns".

• cyborgVision
    cyborgVision

Hello Abaddon
    I appreciate your comments, I do not want to go into circular argument here as in many instances such matters are subject to interpretation and presuppositions as in any science just as you have eloquently pointed it out.

I simply stated in as brief terms as possible my personal opinion. Now I am not biologist. (I do not want to disclose my profession as it may reveal my identity.) I was simply giving some helpful pointers about critically approaching the subject. Whether one likes to believe it or not evolution is just as hypothetical and plausible as many other explanations and is subject to a range of other assumptions about early earth. Or as one of my colleagues likes to say that "design theory doesn?t necessarily involve an entity we label as god ? if in doubt use your imagination"
    This only goes to show you that there is still quite a hole to fill which gives freedom for latitude of different opinions.

On the other hand just because something can be explained in certain terms doesn?t necessarily mean that is how it happened. Lawyers take advantage of it all the time.

I personally respect evolution as well as any other science out of my field of expertise but at the same time I recognize its weaknesses just as I see weaknesses in creationist?s view.

Reason why I mention Ameba was because I can see how many students easily make judgment call that just because it is small it gotta be simple. If that assumption on my part was insulting about this kind of a forum I truly apologize.

Hope that answers your question.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit