The evidence AGAINST evolution

by AlmostAtheist 68 Replies latest jw friends

• hooberus
    hooberus

Persons desiring a systematic look specifically at the evidence against evolution may find the following helpful:

Evolution: A Theory in Crisis by Michael Denton 1985 (Denton has since embraced some type of directed evolution, however the arguments presented in this book are well formatted). Semi-technical at times.

The Biotic Message by Walter ReMine 1993. (A little expenive at $45.00, and a more techincal read, however it is extemely worth it especially for its detailed critiques of evolution).

Denton's book does not advocate creation it only looks at evolution. ReMine's book is generally a critique of evolution, and he also provides a theory of creation.

Also see major creationists organizations web sites such as:

Answers in Genesis: http://www.answersingenesis.org

Institute for Creation Research: http://www.icr.org

Creation Research Society: http://www.creationresearch.org/

Also see the True Origin Archive: http://www.trueorigin.org (a response to talk origins)

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

hooberus

May I commend you for your honesty?

You said;

Persons desiring a systematic look specifically at the evidence against evolution may find the following helpful:

Which is a very fair reflection of the approach I characterised when I said;

This 'super-focus' is typically caused by approaching a subject with the intent of disproving it rather than understanding it and coming to a conclusion on its veracity after study. That way you focus on what seems to be a problem and don't get sight of the rather large body of interrelated evidence supporting it.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/87781/1464924/post.ashx#1464924

If you feel that you can claim to have the spread of knowledge required to conclusively determine evolution is false by specifically reading material focusing on showing problems with evolution, then we have no common ground.

I feel only by learning a subject to THEN determine its veracity can one make a determination that has any chance of being based on the learning.

If one seeks only to look at evidence presented from one point-of-view, one is liable to have one's final determination based upon the point-of-view of the sources one considers - even if those sources are not particularly good sources but are selected solely due to their meeting the criteria of "look[ing] specifically at the evidence against evolution".

This is why it is so easy to show factual errors, misconceptions and selective selection of data in the sources you quote;

Denton;

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/denton.html

ReMine

http://www.talkorigins.org/origins/postmonth/sep99.html

I find your willingness to ignore evidence that casts severe doubts on the validity of a literal interpretation of Genesis curious to the extent of having some olde-world-charm.

Unless you are willing to argue for the created appearance of age, the traditional Genesis dates (even with a large +/-) for the creation of man, when it is viewed as a literal account, simply don't work. Ditto the Flood.

The dating methods that cast these severe doubts are multiple and in agreement; the very technologies you would seek to use in dating claimed parts of the ark or the cross you reject because they exclude a belief you had previously decided you wanted proven.

I do also wonder why you are still using websites that you have admitted (to me here in the past) fall sometimes short of decent scientific standards.

People with 'average' (i.e. basic) knowledge of history, if they read certain books, might believe the claims made in some books... you know, stuff like the Illuminati conspiracy theories. They might LIKE those sort of books and be under the impression that books (they read because they like) give them a level of knowledge equal to someone who has actually studied the subject.

When questioned about certain aspects of their acquired belief structure they will often claim that those who HAVE studied the subject and disagree with the conspiracists are engaged in some Illuminati (or god-dishonouring) conspiracy to deny the truth of the Illuminati's New World Order (or of Creation).

Someone who has studied history will often find the claims made by such conspirasists are easily disproved as they can see the errors or omissions the conspracist's claims are made on that elude the eye of the layperson - even the lay person who has read dozens of books that support their personal favourite beliefs.

And I am afraid that "creationists" are just another group of conspiracists.

They select material that will agree with the opinion they already have (as you have proved), even if this material will have errors in it an expert could easily point out (as I have proved in the past with you). On this basis they claim to be right, and that those disagreeing with them have ulterior motives (they don't WANT to believe in god, e.g.) or are part of a larger conspiracy.

If your claim to being right about Creation is based on reading an intentionally biased selection of material that, when examined by experts is found to be erroneous, you are welcome to it. It is as valid a claim as that description makes it sound. The method some conspiracists use of accusing those with opposing views of some motive or malign intent, is just as valid as it is based on accusation not demonstration of the veracity of the disputed facts.

I know you are sincere hooberus, but again I ask you why is your faith in god limited to him producing the world in a manner that sounded likely to a bronze-age person? Why does god have to fit the predetermined "Christian" box you grew up with as an accident of birth? Do you think if you were a Muslim you would be an Islamic Creationist?

http://www.geocities.com/evrimkurami/tanercloning.html

... or if born a Hindu, a Hindu Creationist?

http://www.natcenscied.org/resources/rncse_content/vol19/3185_iforbidden_archaeologys_imp_12_30_1899.asp

... and which version is right?

Whilst your literalistic beliefs give you a too few years to explain the evidence, the literalistic Hindu belief that man has been on Earth for over 4 billion years is based on documents they will claim are far older in origin than the Bible and that as the Bible steals the whole god-man thing from Vishnu it's obvious which is original and accurate. But they have a hell of a problem finding evidence for their claim of over 4 billion years, just as you have a hell of a time ignoring evidence 'man' has been round a very long time.

If one is prepared to accept that god might not want people to believe in errant nonsense the very evidence around them contradicts, then rather than futile circular arguments, you can get on worshipping god as he may be, rather than as pre-packaged and sold to you by some monger of elitism.

Unfortunately you equate evolution with no god. Now, I might agree with you most of the time but there's plenty of people who don't, and their beliefs are not as easily mauled as literal interpretations of the Bible.

It all boils down to worship of a BOOK, really. Worshipping god I can get, but a BOOK? Of course, that's rhetorical puzzlement.

The fact that claims about the literalism of the creation account can ALSO lead to claims for other portions of the Bible supporting human elitism, the condemnation of others who do no harm to their fellow man, and make god seem partial, really hasn't escaped my notice.

It often seems literal Biblical Creationism is as opposed to the idea of god as some entity we all have a fair chance with, the idea that people can just basically be decent to each other and that they don't have to follow some exclusive faith-way, the idea that we are free agents provided we don't harm our fellow man, as it is to evolution. As the defence of such a form of Creationism becomes by its very nature the defence of a book that allows other claims to be made (rather than anything to do with god), it makes me wonder about the underlying motives of some.

I don;t think you make the claims you do out of this sort of intent, but what if some are using the faith of others to manipulate them? You don't have to go through too many well-known TV evangelists to find examples of this, so one cannot claim this does not happen.

Cyborg

Thanks for your answer. It can be an agree to disagree thing. I feel statements like "evolution is just as hypothetical and plausible as many other explanations and is subject to a range of other assumptions about early earth" really, really, in all honesty sincerity and nice smiley-laden disagreement, don't stand up to examination, for me. It is elegantly phrased and polite 'wriggle room'.

Making valid points about the problems with absolute determination of what happened when does not stop one from assembling a hierarchy of various claims to what happened and decide which one is most likely.

As you will almost certainly gather, I have spent a long time observing how people create 'wriggle room' for their personally cherished belief structures. If one would rather use "imagination" to fill-in-gaps, rather than draw conclusions from available evidence and assumptions, that's fine, but personally I don't see the superiority of "imagination" over "assumption" as assumptions are based on facts (even if it's wrong) and imagination needn't be.

To me any literal interpretation of Genesis as being a literal account is doomed; you don't seek to do that.

• fairchild
    fairchild

Wow, this is quite a discussion going on here. I am certainly not an expert on the subject, so my inclination to believe in creation is mostly based on emotion and faith. I found out a long time ago that one can't always believe the written word. I could write a thick book filled with evidence for evolution, or filled with evidence for creation. Even though the book would purely sprout out of my imagination, it would still be read by people, and believed. What I'm saying is that many of the books written on those subjects are not always true. There is no law against writing a bunch of nonsense and publishing it. The reason why I believe in creation is because it makes sense to me. Look at all the animals, and how they 'know' what to do in order to survive. Birds go south for the winter, chipmunks know to store food for the winter, oh, there are millions of examples of animals and their natural instincts. Let's say that animals got here through evolution.. let's say that 'life' could come to be through evolution.. I would be willing to accept that, but there is a huge difference between something that breathes and is alive, and something that has natural instincts. How did the instincts come to be? Was that evolution as well?

Okay, that was for animals, but how about human beings? Did we get a conscience through evolution? Think about every part of a human body.. wow, evolution must be truly amazing, resulting in such a complicated body. Ears, eyes, a heart, a digestive system, 2 legs, 2 arms, hands, fingers, veins, speech, a brain, the ability to think..etc... etc... I know I know, all this is a really weak argument to defend my creation theory. To me, it is just a matter of common sense. But then, I might be wrong. Let's say that it is not important to be right or wrong.. it is much more important to try and be a good human being, created or not..

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    I feel only by learning a subject to THEN determine its veracity can one make a determination that has any chance of being based on the learning.

As a JW, I was staunchly creation-minded. I "knew" evolution because I saw all the arguments evolutionists put forth soundly shot down by such scholarly works as "How did life get here -- by creation or evolution?". It was only after I left the Watchtower that I actually read a book by an evolutionist. I then realized that I didn't have a single clue about evolution. I learned as much about evolution from JW's (and by extension, creationists in general) as I did about catholicism. I actually thought I knew what Catholics believed, but what I *really* knew was what JW's believed to be wrong about Catholics. That's a very different set of knowledge, and not a terribly useful set for understanding them.

Now I feel like I've seen both sides. It isn't a matter (in my opinion) of picking which "faith" I'll follow. I read the creation arguments for 20 years, now I've also read the evolution arguments. I've read both sides from the perspective of both sides. Based on the arguments presented, I think evolution is right.

I wouldn't ask anybody else to decide based on my views, but I would encourage anyone that cares about the issue to give both sides a fair shake. Read an evolutionist's book, read a creationist's book, read several if you want to invest the time and energy. Then make your determination. But don't base your decision on statements made by creationists that evolutionists are wrong, or vice-versa.

Dave

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    I then realized that I didn't have a single clue about evolution.

I had the exact same experience. I thought I was pretty informed on the topic of evolution when I was a JW. When I actually started to dig in to the issue, I realized how broken my understanding of the topic was. Realizing that I believed in evolution is what started my crisis of faith and ultimately freed me of the WTS. :)

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

hooberus,

When I was trying to save my faith and restore my belief in creationism, I read quite a bit on the Answers in Genesis site. It actually had the opposite effect. The arguments and lines of reasoning were flawed on so many levels, it strengthened my belief in evolution.

The biggest problem with AiG is that they push young earth creationism. You have to throw out so many scientific facts to believe the earth is only 6000 years old!

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    Think about every part of a human body.. wow, evolution must be truly amazing, resulting in such a complicated body. Ears, eyes, a heart, a digestive system, 2 legs, 2 arms, hands, fingers, veins, speech, a brain, the ability to think..etc... etc... I know I know, all this is a really weak argument to defend my creation theory. To me, it is just a matter of common sense.

Fairchild,

A very good point made in Richard Dawkins "The Blind Watchmaker" was essentially this: Can you imagine any of these complicated systems being useful if they were only slightly less efficient? If the eye couldn't see quite as well, if the legs couldn't bend quite as far, that sort of thing? What if the heart could only pump at 95% efficiency, would it still allow the creature to function? If you can imagine that, then back up to that point. Now, can you imagine it slightly less efficient than that? We're not talking about huge jumps, like black and white vision jumping to color. Just slight changes. If so, then if you carry it back far enough, you can slowly degrade these complex systems and trace (potentially) their evolutionary paths backwards. There really is no point at which you can't just slightly reduce the functionality of the current creature and still have a creature capable of surviving.

Common sense tells people if they are stuck in the mud, they need to apply power to their wheels to get out. If they're still stuck, they need more power, which actually results in their getting more stuck.

Common sense says if you're moving in your car in a direction you don't want to go, you should apply the brake. But if you're on ice, that's not your best course of action.

Common sense is necessary for living, but it isn't always right.

Dave

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

Wow, nothing on my quote? You guys are a tough crowd! :-)

Evolution: A Theory in Crisis by Michael Denton 1985 (Denton has since embraced some type of directed evolution, however the arguments presented in this book are well formatted). Semi-technical at times.

hooberus and I finally agree on something. This book was actually my first real exposure to evolution coming out of the org. Denton believes that evolution has and does occur, and he makes a very good case for it. I was a little surprised that a book with such a title would be so convincing in favor of evolution. Denton's issue is that he wonders if we have the whole picture. He feels that natural selection by itself does not answer all of the questions. He focuses his concern on questions of how new "types" of species appear. But make no mistake, he does accept that evolution occurs.

SNG

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

Continuing in AA's vein:

Common sense is necessary for living, but it isn't always right.

Darwin notes:

When it was first said that the sun stood still and the world turned round, the common sense of mankind declared the doctrine false; but the old saying of Vox populi, vox Dei [the voice of the people is the voice of God], as every philosopher knows, cannot be trusted in science.

Gould observes:

Science is not "organized common sense"; at its most exciting, it reformulates our vew of the world by imposing powerful theories against the ancient, anthropocentric prejudices that we call intuition.

Both quotes from Ever Since Darwin, 1977, Steven Jay Gould. Respectively, pages 110 and 91.

SNG

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

fairchild

Okay, that was for animals, but how about human beings?

Exactly! Thank you for asking fun questions!

Did we get a conscience through evolution?

Easy; yes.

'Conscience', if defined as a feeling that certain actions or behaviours are 'wrong' is extremely explainable if one also accepts 'wrong' behaviours are those with net bad consequences. Stealing has advantages, but in any society where individual property is a concept, if caught the net consequences are negative. Members of a population exhibiting lots of 'wrong' behaviour would probably find their reproductive success diminished.

This selection pressure on a behaviour would link with other selection pressures, e.g., those favouring ultra-dominant behaviour. By ultra-dominant I mean rather than merely assertive and likely to be high in a group's social structure but still subject to the values of that group, dominance of a nature that those with it can ignore the values of the group and assert their own. Ultra-dominants break rules but still make sure they pass on their genes.

It's like that with most selection pressures. Very few are discrete and uninfluenced by the expression of other characteristics. There's easily others that influence the effect of any behaviour designed to make an organism think twice about, and probably stop them doing something that could ultimately disadvantage them reproductively ('conscience').

This means than an E.volutionary S.table S.tratagy is hard to achieve.

Having the right markings for your environment is a great example of an ESS. Sometimes white giraffes are born. They don't fare well, thus the sometimes remains sometimes. Ever heard of a jungle area populated by white tigers? That's because there isn't one. They (albinoid) occur in the wild, but they don't fare well. Who is sexy in giraffe and tiger world is based on things other than pretty colours.

However, colourful plumage is SO sexy in bird world a brilliantly-coloured male is likely to breed more than an drab one, even if it is more likely to be predated. If only the fittest males have the vigour for the best coloured and proportioned plumage, then the females that fancied that type of male would have more chicks, and thus you have lots of species - even ground-dwelling species - with drab females and colourful males. They are ESS's.

With human social behaviour it is WAY more complex. Conscience stops us disadvantaging ourselves by (typically) grabbing some short-term advantage that would be a net loss in the long-term. It is a behaviour with selection pressure. Therefore it is as subject to the laws of evolution as a dog's sense of smell, but as it is conflicting with a a host of other behaviours it is merely a part of human behaviour rather than a universal human ESS. It's just a ability we have to predict we might get 'slapped' in the future for doing something even if we don't get 'slapped' now. It doesn't always win. Hell, it even SOUNDS like conscience.

And it isn't an exclusive human emotion. Animals have it too. Think of a cat doing something it shouldn't; even if it doesn't know it is being observed it will appear furtive. I heard of a group of chimpanzees showing behaviour indicative of humour and conscience (as in knowledge a behaviour might get one 'slapped' and thus conealing it). The alpha male had injured an arm, and had to do an awkward three-limbed gait whilst leading the troupe. The chimps behind him imitated him; and when he turned round stopped imitating him. They'd do this for hours. They carried on doing it weeks after his arm got better...

As for morphology, ah, another day maybe, but to most questions there is a pretty good answer.

Human intelligence is one where we really don't have firm theory of why we're the only species that developed sophoncy as an ESS. If it's that bloody useful why aren't here others? Of course, there are theories but they are *winks at Cyber* based on imaginative assumptions.

Let's say that it is not important to be right or wrong.. it is much more important to try and be a good human being, created or not..

Absolutely. If you believe in god, it'll be pleased with you. If you believe in evolution, you are optimising your chances of reproduction.

SNG

Darwin was wrong. People 'knew' the world was round long before the period he refers to with Vox populi, vox Dei. Or, to be fair, some had a bloody good idea and others acted like it was in profound ignorance of the possibility of an edge. Look at the colonisation of the Pacific.

The curved nature of the worlds surface is obvious when watches a ship approaching shore. You see the top of the masts first, then the sails, then the hull.

I don't believe no one noticed this. It is too common an observation for any sea-faring society.

As the surface of the earth was obviously curved (you can see it on dry ground too), and as things in the sky were round, and as things that are round have curved surfaces... the ancients weren't stupid.

However, people can act very stupid indeed if they live in a culture where talking about an idea like that will make the local Priest look for the matches. Quite how such errant idiocy could ever be believed by the 'elite' of the day and turned into policy is curious until one thinks about things like Reaganomics and Communism. And when people are governed by, effectively, a superstition, they are no longer governed by the evidence of their own senses. Hell, the female orgasm was 'lost' for decades, if that can be done by enculturation flattening a sphere is easy.

Curiosity is innocent - Schrödinger killed the cat!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit