The Best Response To Memorial Invites?

by dawn27 21 Replies latest jw friends

• cyber-sista
    cyber-sista

I am doing the fade thing too, which probably won't last much longer, but...I have had a couple of word of mouth invites given through my non-JW hubby until finally someone caught me at the door. A sister came by and wanted to make sure I knew it was the memorial on Thurs and I said yes, and she told me the time and then said she wanted to give me a personal invitation and started to reach into her bag for one. I didn't want to take it and just said "to tell the truth I won't be going." With that she gave me a pained expression and let out a sigh. She had a questioning look on her face, so I just said "we all haven't the same experiences." That seemed to be a conversation stopper, because she didn't say anything to argue that point. I am sure she didn't want to ask me what my experiences were that had such an effect on my faith in the WT Org, because she herself didn't want to hear anything negative. She said a cordial goodbye and left. Her hubby is an elder, so I am sure she will bring this up to him. I wonder if they will start to DA people for refusing to go to the memorial? We shall see.

cybs

• rosemary
    rosemary

ummmmmmmm..........

well.........

you could say you are washing your hair................

• Valis
    Valis

As Morrissey once said..."I'm writing this to say, in a gentle way...Thank you but no..."

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• avishai
    avishai

Go!! With the biggest can of Easy Cheez you can find sticking out of your pocket!! And perhaps some summer sausage or some nice genoa salami!!

• clementine
    clementine

mine was : sorry, i can't, i will be at the university... and, i promise, that was right!!

• Scully
    Scully
    been bombarded with phone calls and asked by my co-workers to go to the memorial.

"I just got off the phone with Human Resources, and was informed that being harassed about religious topics is a violation of their policy, and could get someone reprimanded or fired."

• willyloman
    willyloman
    Use some reverse "theocratic warfare". Smile and be unspecific. They are not entitled to know anything.

For faders like me, this is good advice. I was asked by a dub from across town who works here what time the memorial was at the hall I "attend" and since I had no idea, but figured there were probably two meetings since congos shared the hall, I simply said, "the early one." Then I asked him a question about his family and let him talk until I looked at my watch and excused myself.

I no longer bother wondering if these are "trick" questions, I just give the simplest possible answer and change the subject. I find most dubs don't really want to talk about your status.

As a dub, I learned many things and one of them was the importance of a prepared presentation. I have a couple of them in my head, in case I run into someone unexpectedly and they are nervy enough to demand an explanation for why I dropped out. So far, I haven't had to use it -- it's just like FS, no one ever lets you say what you came to say!

Recently we ran into the biggest busybody in our old congo, and I know she knows we haven't been to a meeting in more than a year. I thought, oh, good, I get to use my 'presentation' at last. But, no... Before she could say more than Hello, my lovely wife asked about her health. This is the one topic this woman cannot stop talking about. Several minutes later, when she stopped to breathe, I told her we were late for an appointment and hoped she got better soon, and off we went.

I think that in fading, the name of the game is to be gracious and not grant any interviews.

• Scully
    Scully

I just got to blow off an invite. How lame is it anyway, to give someone who obviously has a life only four hours' notice to attend what is supposed to be the Most Important Night? of the JW calendar??

All I have to say is that I love working night shift.

• 4JWY
    4JWY

Scully ~

ah yes, same day invites....that's what we got last year....informed the elder what we thought of it..... giving bright , full moon reasons why they wouldn't see us there.

Hmmm....no one came by this year, guess we made our points.

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

These were my exact (or close to exact) words "I'm not going back, and it's between me and God."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit