JW's are not Christians

by Witch Hunter 52 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

I honestly don't see how anybody could attend tonight's JW Memorial, not take a bite out of the cracker and sip the win, and call themselves a Christian.

• mouthy
    mouthy

take a bite out of the cracker and sip the win, and call themselves a Christian.

Because the cracker is stale! & the wine is yucky!!!! It has been hanging around since 1914-

Jesus said do this until I come. Well He came in 1914 didnt he????? Yeah Right!!!!

• Witch Hunter
    Witch Hunter

thanks for all the responses guys, its been great. I was just interested to see what those who are no longer influenced by the Jehovah's Witness organisation really thought. To be honest though, I've not seen any real credible argument suggesting that Jehovah's Witnesses are Christian. To imply they are Christian because they believe in Jesus, but then refute the essential doctrines of Christianity including the deity of Christ, appears about as credible as the organisation's other contradictions, altered doctrines, and many false prophecies. So I think i'm still in agreeance with the majority of posters in this thread, that the Jehovah's Witnesses are a non-christian cult.

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

Witch Hunter... I think that most of us who refer to JWs as 'Christians' mean the term a bit differently than you do. The word 'Christian', like many terms in religion, can be used in a descriptive or prescriptive sense.

For example, as you probably know, the term 'Orthodox' comes from the Greek for 'right teaching'. And yet, if you call the Russian or Greek church down the street an "Orthodox church", that doesn't mean you agree with its teachings. "Orthodox" is just a label--a description of a group of religions.

The same thing happens with the word 'Christian'. When I (a non-Christian) refer to JWs as Christians, I'm not saying that their beliefs constitute 'true Christianity', whatever that might be.I'm just identifying them as part of the group of religions that use the Christian Bible, believe in Christ, etc.

• AlanF
    AlanF

Most so-called Christians are really shitty Christians, for that matter, so far as I can tell.

AlanF

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

whoever of you does not renounce all that he has cannot be my disciple

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

......I know I am but what are you?......

Please, will you just give us all a break with your nonsense. Saying JWs are not Christians because they don't meet your definition of what a Christian is or should believe is like saying someone is not "American" because they aren't White Anglo Saxon Protestant.

Just as America includes persons of all kinds of beliefs, cultures, races, practices and conduct, etc. and they are all American; likewise the "Nation" of Chrisitanity includes persons of all kinds of beliefs, cultures, races, practices and conduct etc.

So stop being a religious bigot!

-Eduardo

PS: As I pointed out in my original post to this thead, anyone who claims that in order to be a "true" Christian a person or church must meet certain established elements is an intellectual moron who doesn't know a farthing about the history of Chrisitanity. Try reading "Lost Christianities" by Bart Ehrman for a little education.

Additionally, some of you have taken tyour discussion way off track by describing the "qualities" or morality of a person as a definition of being a Christian. Being a "good person" is just being a "good person." Being a good person doesn't make one Christian, Muslim, Hindu or anything other than a good person.

Yes, it appears that Jesus, the man, (while on earth) lived an exemplary life and when I read about his life as related in the Scriptures, it makes me want to imitate his love and tolerance and wisdom. I would say he was a good person and those that call themselves Christians are claiming to be "followers of Christ" plain and simple and so if they are to be true to that ambition they ought to try to be as good as they can be in emulation of Jesus.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Don't apologise!

• hopelesslystained
    hopelesslystained

SallySue is correct. I remember as a kid, going door to door being asked if we were Christians. The response I was taught to deliver was, " We are Witnesses of Jehovah God our creator, and we believe Jesus is his son through whom all things were created". A non-answer, right? I also remember being told we were to be christ-like and pray in Jesus' name, but Jehovah is the one we worship. The title "Jehovah's Christian Witnesses" is a new one to me, but I've been away for a very long time. So no, I did not consider myself a "Christian" we were to be no part of "Christiandom" period.

• Country_Woman
    Country_Woman

Jehovah's Witnesses are a Christian religion who don't follow Christ's directions.

Two different things: name and belief.

As Jesus said once re the Pharisees: do as their words but not as their acts - something like that.(could'nt find the passage else I had quote it)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit