April 05 KM: Living w/ Soundness of Mind in an Electronic Age

by ithinkisee 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ithinkisee
    ithinkisee

Kingdom Ministry - April 2005

Week Starting April 18th

15 min: Living w/ Soundness of Mind in an Electronic Age
    (Titus 2:11,12)A talk based on the September 2002 Our Kingdom Ministry, page 8, paragraphs 1-7, and the November 1999 Our Kingdom Ministry page 5, paragraphs 24-26, and page 6, paragraphs 35,36. As time permits, other points from the November 1999 Our Kingdom Ministry insert may be included if applicable locally.

Anyone have those KM references handy?

-ithinkisee

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

*** km 9/02 p. 8 Avoid the Pursuit of "Valueless Things" ***

Avoid the Pursuit of "Valueless Things"

1 One popular means of communication today is E-mail. Although sharing personal experiences and thoughts among family and friends through this medium may be appropriate, what "valueless things" can be associated with the unrestricted use of E-mail??Prov. 12:11.

2 Cautions Regarding E-Mail: Some claim to feel more in touch with Jehovah?s organization when they receive what they consider to be fresh information via E-mail. This may include experiences, notes on events at Bethel, reports of disasters or persecution, and even confidential information released at Kingdom Ministry Schools. Others seem overly eager to send such messages, hoping to be the first to reveal the information to their friends.

3 At times, information and experiences have been distorted or exaggerated. Or perhaps in an effort to be sensational, some have conveyed a false impression. Those who are hasty to reveal such matters often do not have all the facts. (Prov. 29:20) In some cases, even when a story is unbelievable, it is passed on as a curiosity. Such inaccurate or misleading reports amount to "false stories," which do not promote genuine godly devotion.?1 Tim. 4:6, 7.

4 If you forward information that turns out to be inaccurate, you bear a measure of responsibility for the sorrow or confusion this can cause. When David received an exaggerated report that all his sons had been killed, he "ripped his clothes apart" in anguish. However, in truth, only one of his sons had died. That was distressing enough, but this exaggeration caused David added distress. (2 Sam. 13:30-33) Surely we would not want to do anything that would mislead or discourage any of our brothers.

5 God?s Appointed Channel: Bear in mind that our heavenly Father has an appointed channel of communication, "the faithful and discreet slave." That "slave" has the responsibility to determine what information is made available to the household of faith, as well as "the proper time" for it to be dispensed. This spiritual food is available only through the theocratic organization. We should always look to God?s appointed channel for reliable information, not to a network of Internet users.?Matt. 24:45.

6 Internet Web Sites: We have an official Internet Web site: www.watchtower.org. This site is adequate to make information available to the public. There is no need for any individual, committee, or congregation to prepare a Web page about Jehovah?s Witnesses. Some have posted the contents of our publications with all scriptures and references given in full and have even offered copies of convention material on a donation basis. Whether profit is involved or not, the practice of reproducing and distributing publications of Jehovah?s Witnesses in an electronic document is a violation of copyright laws. While some may view this as a service to the brothers, it is not approved and should be discontinued.

7 Exercising good judgment and soundness of mind when using electronic communication will ensure that our minds are filled with "precious and pleasant things of value."?Prov. 24:4.

*** km 11/99 p. 5 Use of the Internet?Be Alert to the Dangers! ***

24 Using Our Time Wisely: Another consideration in this regard has to do with the amount of time spent creating, reading, and responding to information posted on the Internet. Psalm 90:12 encourages us to pray: "Show us just how to count our days in such a way that we may bring a heart of wisdom in." Paul stated: "The time left is reduced." (1 Cor. 7:29) And further: "Really, then, as long as we have time favorable for it, let us work what is good toward all, but especially toward those related to us in the faith."?Gal. 6:10.

25 Such counsel highlights the need for us to be judicious in the use of our time. How much more profitable it is to spend time reading God?s Word! (Ps. 1:1, 2) That is the best association we can have. (2 Tim. 3:16, 17) Parents, are you teaching your children the value of using their time wisely in Kingdom pursuits? (Eccl. 12:1) Time spent in personal and family Bible study, meeting attendance, and field ministry far outweighs time spent browsing the Internet, expecting to gain benefits.

26 In this regard, it is the course of wisdom to focus our attention on spiritual matters and on those things relevant and essential to our lives as Christians. This calls for the making of well-considered choices respecting the information that merits our time and thought. As Christians, that which is relevant to our lives was summed up by Christ, who said: "Keep on, then, seeking first the kingdom and his righteousness, and all these other things will be added to you." (Matt. 6:33) Are you not happiest when your life is filled with Kingdom pursuits rather than any other activity?

*** km 11/99 p. 6 Use of the Internet?Be Alert to the Dangers! ***

35 Keeping a balanced view of the Internet is a protection. We appreciate the timely reminder by Paul: "Let . . . those making use of the world [be] as those not using it to the full; for the scene of this world is changing." (1 Cor. 7:29-31) Having these things in mind will help keep us and our families from becoming distracted by all that the world has to offer, including what is available on the Internet.

36 It is imperative that we stay close to our brothers in the congregation and use the remaining time wisely, thus making ourselves available for the advancing of Kingdom interests. As this system nears its finish, let us "no longer go on walking just as the nations also walk in the unprofitableness of their minds," but let us "go on perceiving what the will of Jehovah is."?Eph. 4:17; 5:17.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I remember going over this information at the meetings.......Seems some of it was Q&A. People making comments about the internet who had never been on it at all. I secretly was snickering inside at how they sounded so authoritatve about what they were saying. And sounded rather judgemental. I covered up how much I was on the internet for a long time.

But then I had met so many people from online. I mean how do you explain people staying at your home from Australia and London. And all over the US.....so I just started saying, isnt it great to meet so many brothers and sisters from all over.......I met them on the internet.

ummmmmm sorry.......busted in on your thread

purps

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Oh shit no question the society are running scared!!!!!!!!

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    If you forward information that turns out to be inaccurate, you bear a measure of responsibility for the sorrow or confusion this can cause.

Oh, that's priceless! Have they ever owned up to their "measure of responsibility" for all the crap they printed over the years that later 'turned out to be inaccurate'?

http://quotes.watchtower.ca <-- take your pick!

Dave

• cypher50
    cypher50
    6 Internet Web Sites: We have an official Internet Web site: www.watchtower.org. This site is adequate to make information available to the public. There is no need for any individual, committee, or congregation to prepare a Web page about Jehovah?s Witnesses. Some have posted the contents of our publications with all scriptures and references given in full and have even offered copies of convention material on a donation basis. Whether profit is involved or not, the practice of reproducing and distributing publications of Jehovah?s Witnesses in an electronic document is a violation of copyright laws. While some may view this as a service to the brothers, it is not approved and should be discontinued.

That part I put in red is something I found fishy even when I was a Witness...I remember first seeing that when the first articles on the Internet came out and all I could think was "if a site is made by a fellow brother then what is wrong?". I was naive enough to believe that all active Witnesses felt completely satisfied and didn't have any objections to certain things; looking at this now, it shows me how paranoid the society is. It is sad that the WTS has to resort to restricting communication between even JW's in "good standing"...

• prophecor
    prophecor

Some have posted the contents of our publications with all scriptures and references given in full......... So why didn't they realize that this would be published as well

• yesidid
    yesidid

Elsewhere

You are too much. I have often been impressed by the speed of your information gathering......But

hey five minutes for all that.

Incredible

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Thanks

I have quite a few JW related resources on my home system along with a few technology tricks up my sleeve.

• cyber-sista
    cyber-sista
    There is no need for any individual, committee, or congregation to prepare a Web page about Jehovah?s Witnesses. Some have posted the contents of our publications with all scriptures and references given in full and have even offered copies of convention material on a donation basis. Whether profit is involved or not, the practice of reproducing and distributing publications of Jehovah?s Witnesses in an electronic document is a violation of copyright laws. While some may view this as a service to the brothers, it is not approved and should be discontinued.

That part I put in red is something I found fishy even when I was a Witness...I remember first seeing that when the first articles on the Internet came out and all I could think was "if a site is made by a fellow brother then what is wrong?". I was naive enough to believe that all active Witnesses felt completely satisfied and didn't have any objections to certain things; looking at this now, it shows me how paranoid the society is. It is sad that the WTS has to resort to restricting communication between even JW's in "good standing"...
    ME TOO! I was also thinking that here we are told over and over again to witness in whatever way way can from door to door--on street corners--over the phone--whatever way we could to get the message out to those deserving ones, but now the organization was restricting one of the greatest means of communication now-a-days--the internet??? Besides being able to give a witness to others over the internet we could also use it as fine upbuilding association and encouragement with fellow believers right? The WT is totally paranoid of the internet because of sites like this one for instance, which uncovers the WT crapola. I knew some very paranoid JWs who had never used the internet and were scared to death that something like demon was going to jump out of the screen at them if they ever did attempt to use it. cybs

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit