Intuition..

by Country Girl 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

I've been reading up on intuition (and that's NOT what you pay to go to college.. heheh).

I think that all creatures have some sort of mechanism in their bodies that alerts them to possible danger. I feel that this sense has somehow been desensitized in humans, because we perhaps do not depend on it for our very lives any more, in the case of survival. However, it probably is still there somewhere deep inside us at some very unconscious level.

Whether one can tap into that intuitive energy on sheer will is an unknown for me. I have often felt a prickly and edgy sensation when I know a situation, person, or thing is just *not right* and more times than not, it's been right on. I believe that I have been very blessed to recognize this very innate gift.

What do *you* feel and/or do when something just doesn't feel right to you? What sensations do you have? Does it turn out that you are usually right? Can you explain how you came to notice this trait or even if you possess it? Have you ever ignored your gut feeling and something awful or uncomfortable happened to you?

CG

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I believe that intuition has to do with an organism?s ability to read subtle indications from other similar organisms and familiar surroundings.

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug

I actually believe that intuition is just what was mentioned above...the ability to read small fluctuations in body language or maybe even perhaps any of the other senses are used.

These things are done at such a complex, fast, and in a subtle way that most times we do not comprehend what we are observing. Perhaps a small twitch. A change in a pulse showing on the neck or the hair rising on a bare arm. These also can be the slight hint of untruth in a fluctuation of a voice. Sometimes a rise in the body temperature may cause a persons scent to rise or the eyes may dilate on a person when they see something they like. Often all of these things happen at once and there are so many different things that can be read. Just small things that when compiled and registered in our "thinking caps" leads us to a conclusion about a situation.

Do not confuse my thoughts on what compiles intuition the same as a person who is actively hunting for signs. That is not in my opinion intuition; it is an active participation in the brains processes. I personally think that intuition is all of the readings your body takes in that are not actually thought about. The thinking about it process would connote a judgment to be made, a decision of sorts by you as to what you are thinking... make sense?

• Insomniac
    Insomniac

Yes, I tend to agree with Elsewhere. We may notice things on a purely subconscious level, and feel prickles of fear, although we can't quite put our finger on what precisely has us so nervous.

And yeah, I've been in plenty of situations where I've listened to these warnings, and had them confirmed as based in fact not long after; conversely, a few times I've ignored them, and gotten burned, figuratively speaking. I do believe that, by taking careful note of the nature of these warning feelings, and by listening to them, we can definitely become more attuned to them when they occur.

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

Don't get me wrong! I totally agree with the both of you that this is entirely natural, and of much value to any organism. What I was really looking for are people's descriptions of what happens when they get that "gut feeling" something isn't right, whether based on their own bodily sensations, or the body language, scents, etc. of another person. This often occurs as a "second thought" to me. When I have ignored it in the past, it has usually proven to turn out that I should have followed my initial reaction. My intuition really kicks in about people, but not necessarily situations, per se. I am far more intuitive about people as individuals, or people in a crowd.

In my case, I have become very adept at determining whether a person would have ulterior motives contrary to that of those they openly present. I do not know if it's a combination of age/experience, or just really a response to my gut feeling about someone, or a combiation of both.

Those questions at the bottom of my thread topic post above were merely rhetorical. I am more interested in learning about experiences where these "second thoughts" had occurred, and what the outcome was of ignoring these initial warnings. Also, what the person thought, IF they thought, of having ignored the gut feeling. Perhaps more interested in anecdotal type experiences.

Thanks for the replies.

CG

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug

Well Durn... I just waisted my one brain wave of the day.

• prophecor
    prophecor

I believe it's an absolutely essential part of a healthy, meaningful, spiritual life. To ignore it can spell disaster. I believe it to be inheirent in everyone, unfortunately, some of us are so pre-occupied by other stuff in this life that we squelch out the signals. Its like radar, sonar. There are times when I can be so in the moment, that when I'm in a place, say a store or some other public place, I'll get a intuitive reading about my surroundings and will automatically be on the look out for someone that I know, who is in that same locale. It's happened so often that I could never even begin to give a number. I was going thru some monumental struggles in my marriage about five years ago, I'd been staying away from my home in an effort to acquire some peace. I get a call from an old female friend from my history books, its Valentines Day, no doubt. I'm crazy tired, but I proceed to go on this midnite cofee run anyway, ignoring all the red flags telling me to stay put and just chill out. I get on the expressway, about 70 mph, rain slicked highway, listening to some crazy rap music, pushin a 79' Lincoln Contenental MarkV, a car that never knew what anti-lock brakes were, over 22 feet in length weighing in at over 5,000 lbs. To make a long story short, I get into a major traffic accident that night, not paying any attention to my intuition as to what was waiting for me out there. The information is always there, we just need to be receptive to its signals

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

Now *thats* what I was talking about! heheheh. Great story, thanks for sharing it. Hopefully, you came out okay from the accident, and nothing more than your car was damaged!

I had an experience one time that really taught me to begin paying attention to those signals. I had to move out of my apartment and begin looking for a roommate/roommates because well, let's face it, I didn't go to college and I barely made above minimum wage and couldn't afford my own apartment any more.

I looked in the paper for roommates, and found this house in an area I really wanted to live in <close to downtown, bus service, 4 roommates, mostly young, reasonable rent, they had no furniture and wanted some -- and I had furniture, but no place to put it!> So I go and interview with these four guys that lived in this rather large three story house. All seemed relatively nice, mid to late twenties, in school or working, each had girlfriends, and their own lives. I didn't mean the oldest one that first night. But on the subsequent interview, I did. He just rubbed me the wrong way. He was older (35 -whoooo! Old when yer only 19!), authoritive, brisk, non-commital, and when he smiled, his eyes were dead, and it was almost a sneer. I got the bleeber-Jabbers from him! But I figured that it was just *me*, and chose to ignore that initial repulsion!

Boy did he turn into a mess! He was a tyrant that would scream at me if my room wasn't clean (even though I closed my door before work); would demand that my friends call him Sir; made fun of my artwork; call my friends really nasty names; beat his girlfriend til all hours of the night, etc. Oh my gawd. It was like living in hell.

I finally told them I couldn't take it anymore, and I left. Whew! There's been other times that I haven't listened and something went wrong, but I'll let someone else have a turn.

Cautious Girl

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

Little bit of a Chicago Sun-Tribune article I was reading:

Chicago Tribune | Primitive tribes fled beaches long before tsunami struck:

PORT BLAIR, India -- Two days after a tsunami thrashed the island where his ancestors have lived for tens of thousands of years, a lone tribesman stood naked on the beach and looked up at a hovering coast guard helicopter.

He then took out his bow and shot an arrow toward the rescue chopper.

It was a signal the Sentinelese have sent out to the world for millennia: They want to be left alone. Isolated from the rest of the world, the tribesmen have learned nature's sights, sounds and smells in order to survive.

Government officials and anthropologists believe that ancient knowledge of the movement of wind, sea and birds may have saved the five indigenous tribes on the Indian archipelago of Andaman and Nicobar Islands from the tsunami that hit the Asian coastline Dec. 26.

"They can smell the wind. They can gauge the depth of the sea with the sound of their oars. They have a sixth sense which we don't possess," said Ashish Roy, a local environmentalist and lawyer who has called on the courts to protect the tribes by preventing their contact with the outside world.

The tribes live the most ancient, nomadic lifestyle known to man, frozen in their Paleolithic past. Many produce fire by rubbing stones, fish and hunt with bow and arrow and live in leaf and straw huts. And they don't take kindly to intrusions.

Anil Thapliyal, a commander in the Indian coast guard, said he spotted the lone tribesman on North Sentinel Island, a 23-square-mile key, on Dec. 28.

"There was a naked Sentinelese man," Thapliyal said. "He came out and shot an arrow at the helicopter."

According to varying estimates, there are only about 400 to 1,000 members alive today from the Great Andamanese, Onges, Jarawas, Sentinelese and Shompens. Some anthropological DNA studies indicate the generations may go back 70,000 years. They originated in Africa and migrated to India through Indonesia, anthropologists say.
    It appears that many tribesman fled the shores well before the waves hit the coast, where they would typically be fishing this time of year.
  • Bas
    Bas

I this song by Jewel:

Intuition Lyrics

I'm just a simple girl
    In a high tech digital world
    I really try to understand
    All the powers that rule this land
    They say Miss J's big butt is boss
    Kate Moss can't find a job
    In a world of post modern fad
    What was good now is bad