Did anyone applaud the release of the OD book at YOUR hall?

by proplog2 35 Replies latest jw experiences

• proplog2
    proplog2

It was very dead-pan. There had been some buzz because no one was supposed to know about the release.

I swear everyone at my hall must be visitors to this forum. Or the Elder's wives network must've done their usual job of telling everyone.

I would have expected an applause. Nothing. Not even a line of people to get the book. People engaged in conversation and gradually made their way to the book counter to pick up their copy.

I don't think anyone was impressed.

The Watchtower Overseer read a brief letter about how the GOVERNING BODY felt it was appropriate etc. etc... and are hereby making available etc. etc.

The Watchtower Overseer could have soliicited an applause if he wanted to with the usual "Aren't we all thankful that we have this new publication.

Some people even cut short their vacation to be on hand for this SPECIAL OCCASION.

What was it like at YOUR hall?

• Euphemism
    Euphemism
    Some people even cut short their vacation to be on hand for this SPECIAL OCCASION.

I bet they were good and pissed. The Society's habit of trying to create buzz with 'special' announcements and 'special' campaigns is wearing mighty thin.

• ithinkisee
    ithinkisee

The other day I told my mom what the big surprise was. She said, really? I said yeah and rolled my eyes and said, "What's with all the drama over a book?" She said, "Well I guess they need to fill seats somehow."

Whoa.

-ithinkisee

• blondie
    blondie

You can only cry wolf so often and people stop listening.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I think about the timing of releasing it.........Right before the Memorial. I mean everyone is supposed to be focusing on what the Memorial means right now. The daily text preparing for it. And then right in the middle of it releasing this book.....seems rather disrespectful to me. What do you think about the timing ???

purps

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

There was loud prolonged applause at our hall

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

I would think the more or louder they applaud the more brain dead the congregation.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I would think the more or louder they applaud the more brain dead the congregation. Ours is a particularly brain dead congregation - you would not believe some of the comments they come out with - I showed a photo of Brooklyn bridge to somebody recently - they just said oh that is where everybody escaped on 9/11 and The Society took them into Bethel and showed them hospitality - makes me want to vomit

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Stilla,

Sound like the type of person that would give this kind of comment durring the convention review:

"You know every time I go to a Convention I say to myself it won't get any better than this one they just keep getting better and better."

• Nancy Drake
    Nancy Drake

Can someone enlighten me, please?

WTF is the OD book?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit