Any here commemorate the Memorial on your own?

by pennycandy 18 Replies latest jw friends

• pennycandy
    pennycandy

I agree. I know plenty of people who never step foot in a kh except for the Memorial. If you miss all the meetings, you're spiritually weak. But if you miss the Memorial, well, that just shows you have no regard whatsoever for Jehovah's commands.

My dad has been inactive all my life. But he never missed a Memorial. That would be unthinkable.

I feel so sorry for those who still believe and have to live with the guilt that they're falling short of Jehovah's acceptance. Thank goodness I and most of you have been able to move beyond that.

• JAVA
    JAVA

JWs consider the Memorial service the most important meeting of the year. There are some disfellowshipped folks that still believes the Watchtower?s theology, and attend the service. However, the Internet has exposed the Tower for what it is, and I suspect there are fewer former JWs trapped into the mindset of attending this event. You won?t find me there!

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

PennyCandy, remember the Legers and how the father was "annointed"? He showed me how JWs make their bread, which is just like this below, only without the salt, butter or oil . If you are wondering, yes, just flour and water. JWs love taking things to the extreme.

http://www.livingcog.com/ubrecipe.htm

Passover Bread Recipe by Loma Armstrong
    Yield: 500 servings for Passover

Ingredients:

?4 cups freshly ground whole wheat pastry flour
    ?1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
    ?3 tablespoons real butter ?2 tablespoons oil (Olive or whatever you prefer) mixed in 1 cup water

Directions:

Sift flour and measure. Add salt, sift again, or stir thoroughly (in a food processor, if available). Cut butter into small pieces and add to flour after each cut (or cut in with a pastry cutter). Add oil and water to flour (while running processor). Mix until it forms a ball of dough that comes away from the side of the bowl. Knead lightly on floured board 1 minute to a smooth ball. Lightly flour the bowl again. Pinch 1 cup dough and flatten, then roll as thin as possible. Roll it until it just holds together without breaking when pulled. Place the rolled dough on an ungreased sheet and make one cut so the pieces may conveniently fit on the serving plate. Bake 8-10 minutes in a preheated oven at 350 until puffy and lightly browned.

• pennycandy
    pennycandy

Yick. I remember tasting them after the service when I was little.

I always wanted to pull out a can of Cheez Whiz from my purse and give them a dab when the plate passed.

• willyloman
    willyloman

Last year, when we were just a few months past our exit, we observed it ourselves by going to a park in the late afternoon and reading (from two modern translations, not the NWT) the gospel accounts of the event. Then we went to dinner and toasted with red wine. It was a nice "break" from the past.

This year, we don't feel the need. To observe anything on the Mar. 24 date would be to acknowledge that the WTS has the date -- and the procedure -- right in some way, and we no longer believe that. We're vacillating on whether we have an obligation to observe this physically in some fashion, or whether we can simply acknowledge Christ's sacrifice in prayer. We haven't quite reached closure on that.

This is certainly an interesting journey, but one I do not regret for a moment.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I've always wondered why they call it "Memorial". Growing up I was constantly confused by people talking about two different "memorials" - One was the Passwover celebration and the other was Memorial Day for US veterans.

I kept wondering why so many non-JWs were trying to celebrate the Passover on the WRONG date. I was also impressed that they actually made a national holiday for the JWs

• JAVA
    JAVA

The "Memorial" topic reminds me about something that happend years ago. I had a Service Meeting part, and had a few table props set up on the stage. Before the meeting started, an elderly sister asked me if this was the Memorial. I told her no, and she said, "that's too bad. . . I always enjoy passing the bread and wine." Just think, that was the high point in her life at the JW meetings! :-)

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

I've been invited to a memorial on Thursday. I'm currently unsure of my beliefs (somewhere between agnostic and Christian, with an interest in science). I have been baptised twice - Catholic by sprinkling, and Seventh Day Adventist by immersion - and have partaken of the bread & wine in both religions (although the catholic priest always kept the wine for himself). Should I go (real motive to show willing to my mate who I'm really trying to dissuade from JW baptism) and should I partake of the bread & wine??

• pennycandy
    pennycandy

Jeff,

Sure, go out of curiosity if you want. But know that if you partake you may create a stir, but won't be counted in their statistics. You may be the only one there who eats and drinks. Your mate will probably warn you ahead of time not to partake.

If you decide to go, let us know how it went!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit