Have JW's set other dates since "1975" are have they quit fixing dates?

by booker-t 11 Replies latest social current

• booker-t
    booker-t

It would seem that after 1914, 1918, 1925, 1975 that JW's would do as Judge Rutherford said and stop fixing dates but I was told they suggested other dates since 1975 failed prediction. Do any posters out there know of other dates suggested for Armaggeddon that JW's claimed after 1975. I was talking to an elder the other day and he still insist that "apostates" started the 1975 rumor and some dedicated JW's fell for the rumor and that the WTS never said 1975 was the end of the world. He also claims that the WTS only said that maybe the world would end but that they never said point blank that 1975 Armaggeddon was arriving. If this is a lie can any posters post articles since 1975 where JW's predicted a specific date after 1975 I don't mean dates that are suggested but an outright prediction with the date attached to it.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Well there was the famous -before the end of the century (2000) which was by the way adjusted in the bound volume (it was a 1989 watchtower) and now they seem to be setting 2034 (120 years of Noahs day) since 1914

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I was talking to an elder the other day and he still insist that "apostates" started the 1975 rumor and some dedicated JW's fell for the rumor and that the WTS never said 1975 was the end of the world.

TOTAL CRAP and completely disingenuous- there is taped eveidence of circuit and district overseers at District Conventions stating outright that 1975 would mark the date of Armageddon - if it was not society approved why were the ynot reproved for going beyond what was written or even DFd - ANSWER - beacsue the Society loved the effect it had on preaching work -magazine and book sales -and numebers . Loads of information on Randy Watters website www.freeminds.org

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

Here's the Jan. 1 1989 Watchtower that shows the change in the bound volume.

Walter

• blondie
    blondie

It is implied here to take 1914 and project out 70 (1984) or 80 (1994) years. JWs informally had used the generation of 1914 and the 70 to 80 years in Psalm 90:10 to calculate the end. Notice what the WTS says in 1978. And just the opposite in 1969, 1968, 1967.

w89 8/15 p. 14 Opening Up the Way Back to Paradise ***

World events since 1914 harmonize with the prophecies uttered by Jesus Christ and thus prove that Jesus has been in power since then. For over seven decades now, the people of this 20th-century generation living since 1914 have experienced the fulfillment of events listed in Jesus? prophecy found in Matthew chapter 24. Therefore, this period of time is nearing its end, with the restoration of Paradise on earth close at hand.?Matthew 24:32-35; compare Psalm 90:10.

In themselves the days of our years are seventy years; And if because of special mightiness they are eighty years, Yet their insistence is on trouble and hurtful things; For it must quickly pass by, and away we fly. PSALM 90:10

w78 10/1 p. 31 Questions from Readers ***

Thus, when it comes to the application in our time, the "generation" logically would not apply to babies born during World War I. It applies to Christ?s followers and others who were able to observe that war and the other things that have occurred in fulfillment of Jesus? composite "sign." Some of such persons "will by no means pass away until" all of what Christ prophesied occurs, including the end of the present wicked system.

Jesus did not encourage his followers to try to calculate the exact length of this "generation." (Ps. 90:10) Instead of trying to figure how many more years, at the maximum, there may be until the end, Christians should remember Jesus? warning: "Keep on the watch . . . because at an hour that you do not think to be it, the Son of man is coming."?Matt. 24:42-44.

w69 2/15 p. 101 The Last Days of This Wicked System of Things ***

However, there are people still living who were alive in 1914 and saw what was happening then and who were old enough that they still remember those events. This generation is getting up in years now. A great number of them have already passed away in death. Yet Jesus very pointedly said: "This generation will by no means pass away until all these things occur." Some of them will still be alive to see the end of this wicked system. This means that only a short time is left before the end comes! (Ps. 90:10) So now is the time to take urgent action if you do not want to be swept away with this wicked system.

w68 12/1 p. 715 Putting First the Preaching of the Good News ***

Besides, did not Jesus say that this generation will not pass away until all things are fulfilled? A generation, according to Psalm 90:10, is from seventy to eighty years. The generation that witnessed the end of the Gentile Times in 1914 does not have many more years left.?Luke 21:24, 32-36.

w67 12/15 p. 751 "In All the Nations the Good News Has to Be Preached First" ***

However, the expression "this generation" was used by Jesus to mark a very limited period of time, the life-span of members of a generation of people living during the time that certain epoch-making events occurred. According to Psalm 90:10, that life-span could be of seventy years or even of eighty years.

• AlanF
    AlanF

Quotations from the Watchtower Society about ?the end? coming by the year 2000:

Shortly, within our twentieth century, the "battle in the day of Jehovah" will begin against the modern antitype of Jerusalem, Christendom. [book "The Nations Shall Know That I Am Jehovah"-How? (1971)]

If the wicked system of this world survived until the turn of the century [the year 2000], which is highly improbable in view of world trends and the fulfillment of Bible prophecy, there would still be survivors of the World War I generation. However, the fact that their number is dwindling is one more indication that "the conclusion of the system of things" is moving fast toward its end. [magazine The Watchtower, Oct. 15, 1980, p. 31]

Some of that "generation [of 1914]" could survive until the end of the century. But there are many indications that "the end" is much closer than that! [magazine The Watchtower, March 1, 1984 pp. 18-19]

The Time for a Change Is Near!

Carole, from France, has a ?marvelous hope? and foresees, for the near future, ?something marvelous?not at all like the world we live in.? Samuel, a 15-year-old youth from the same country, also believes in a complete change: ?For the year 2000, I visualize a world transformed into a beautiful paradise! But I don?t think that either the present world or its rulers will live to see that day. . . . We are living in the last days of the system of things.? Ruth, a German girl of 16, also expresses her confidence in these changes: ?I know I?m not smart enough to change the world and make things run right. Only Jehovah, our Creator, can and will do that soon.? [magazine Awake!, November 8, 1986, pp. 7-8]

The apostle Paul was spearheading the Christian missionary activity. He was also laying a foundation for a work that would be completed in our 20th century. [magazine The Watchtower, January 1, 1989, p. 12; note that in the bound volume for 1989 "in our 20th century" was changed to "in our day"]

• TheEdge
    TheEdge

Hello booker-t

I always find the ''Quotes'' website useful, but I'm sure you're already aware of it......http://quotes.watchtower.ca/1975.htm

• Pwned
    Pwned

It is implied here to take 1914 and project out 70 (1984) or 80 (1994) years. JWs informally had used the generation of 1914 and the 70 to 80 years in Psalm 90:10 to calculate the end. Notice what the WTS says in 1978. And just the opposite in 1969, 1968, 1967.

*** w89 8/15 p. 14 Opening Up the Way Back to Paradise ***

World events since 1914 harmonize with the prophecies uttered by Jesus Christ and thus prove that Jesus has been in power since then. For over seven decades now, the people of this 20th-century generation living since 1914 have experienced the fulfillment of events listed in Jesus? prophecy found in Matthew chapter 24. Therefore, this period of time is nearing its end, with the restoration of Paradise on earth close at hand.?Matthew 24:32-35; compare Psalm 90:10.

In themselves the days of our years are seventy years; And if because of special mightiness they are eighty years, Yet their insistence is on trouble and hurtful things; For it must quickly pass by, and away we fly. PSALM 90:10

Now I get why they waited until 95 to make the change, they were riding that prophecy out until the end, just hoping, PRAYING, that would be proven right.

• TheEdge
    TheEdge

iiz2cool - that feels almost dishonest!

• willyloman
    willyloman
    that feels almost dishonest!

...as does most of the society's commentary on '75. They are spinmeisters without parallel when it comes to this topic.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit