Should I "picket" the JW assembly with my "apostate" friends or not?

by booker-t 27 Replies latest jw friends

• eljefe
    eljefe

Try to come off as normal as possible. Otherwise, you will readily associated with the fringe elements and immediately ignored.

• observador
    observador

"I don't think picketing assemblies helps JWs to see the Tower for what it is. On the other hand, it usually gets some media attention, which shows others there are problems in paradise."

You said precisely what I was about to say. As we know, the media works pretty much like this: it doesn't matter how many hours a "brother" spend putting a good spin on things to a reporter; if there is a group outside with placards and all, the reporter will make sure those pictures will be shown on the evening news.

Troubles in paradise indeed! I love it. :)

I would do it.

Observador.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Don't waste your time!

DY

• gumby
    gumby

Exposing the Witnesses to OTHER Witnesses usually produces little results.....if not creating a negative effect. Exposing them to the public....and to OTHER witnesses via the media......works better as it is not a direct confrontation. Direct confrontations cause red flags to go up in the mind of a trained witness.

Gumby

• Whiskeyjack
    Whiskeyjack

The only time I encountered "apostates" was at an international assembly in Montreal as a teenager. They were overly demonstrative and almost screaming which greatly detracted from their message. We thought they were "nuts" to be acting so "wierdly" (which is funny now thsat my perspective has changed).

I would second Eduardo's suggestions if you do decide to go. Be as dignified and friendly (and honest) as you possibly can.

W.

• Gollum
    Gollum

I side with those who think it probably does more harm than good, though of course, if you want to, go for it. However, even when I was a dub, I thought a more effective approach for the protesters would be to keep driving past the convention site towing a boat and shouting "I'm going to the beach! What about you?". That would have done it for me.

• Spook
    Spook

Resistance produces persistance. That activity has a reinforcing place in their theology. A transformation beyond the context is required.

Consider writing an editorial to the local papers, mentioning some things like the UN, statistical development, etc. Send it to all sorts of news sources. This would likely be read by many people.

If you decide to picket, the best thing I could think of would be making exact copies of the "religion is a snare and a racket" sandwhich boards, with a one-line message as well. Something like "120 years of failure is enough."

• mouthy
    mouthy

When our bus load picketed it was very dignified. Just had signs & smiled at the sneering faces.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit