Servant versus Overseer

by larc 11 Replies latest jw friends

• larc
    larc

Way back when, they used they used the term of Servant. In the late 60's or early 70's, they changed it to Overseer. Now let us look at these two words. A servant serves others. A doctor might have more status than most of his patients, but nonetheless, he/she is there to serve. In the same way, a Congregation Servent was there to serve, as was the Circuit Servant, and the District Servant.

Now, let look at the term of Overseer. This term has whole different conotation. An Overseer is like a factory foreman that must check out people's work.

Quite a difference, isn't it?

• blondie
    blondie

Yes, I noticed that too, larc, and brought that point out in one of my reviews. I also was an adult during that time and wondered about the change in terminology. I think they should have each of the elders wash the feet of one of the publishers at each Memorial. I bet there would be no takers.

I did hear of one elder that said that elders shouldn't think too highly of themselves since they were servants of servants. The other elders "adjusted" him after the meeting.

Blondie

• minimus
    minimus

POSITION is KEY in the Organization.

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

Is the term "district overseer" or similar Biblical? When I was an adventist, the head of my congregation (my Pastor) washed my feet as a symbol of humility, and I washed his.

• Honesty
    Honesty

On southern cotton and rice plantations the Overseer carried a whip to beat the slaves into submission. Not much has changed... the slaves still get beat by the overseer.

• betrayed1
    betrayed1

One term may have a more favorable connotation than the other, but it's basically semantics. Many Congregation Servants were tyrannical despots. Others were shepherdlike. It was a very unhealthy situation, though because one man controlled everything.

I was both a Congregation Servant and later, an elder for over thirty years. Former Congregation Servants were sometimes viewed as rigid, unchangeable. Not always the case.

Many young elders became just as despotic as and egomaniac as the old Congregation Servants.

BTW, the term "overseer" was used interchangeably with congregation servant in the old days. The congregation just had a single overseer, not a body of overseers, elders, presbyters. At the 1971 district conventions, we learned of the changes that were implemented that fall.

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

jaffacake asked:

Is the term "district overseer" or similar Biblical?

"Overseer" is the NWT's translation of the Greek episkopos, more commonly translated 'bishop'. In the NT, it is only used in reference to humans in 1 Tim 3 and Titus 1, where it referred to local congregational officials.

If the WTS wanted a scriptural expression for an envoy, the closest would probably apostolos. In practice, however, the office of 'District Overseer' derives most directly from the District Manager of a sales organization, which is what Rutherford modeled the WTS after.

• kgfreeperson
    kgfreeperson

I was surprised when I first learned of the use of the term overseer--to me the connotation is plantation or prison work gang. And, as you have noted, the connotation seems to be apt in the JW instance.

• JAVA
    JAVA

I hear the Watchtower Society will soon have another term to replace "pulbisher." Peons. Sorry, I couldn't help myself, larc. :-)

• larc
    larc

JAVER, oops I meant JAVA. JAVER is an Earl Pitts expression. Earl is a Southwestern Ohio type of guy. I am going to vote for him as our next President.

As Earl often says, "This Earl, so Pitts off." He also says, after his editorial, "Wake up Americuca.'

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit