A 1914 generation question

by Pwned 40 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Taylor S.
    Taylor S.
    GaryBuss: ..... the Watch Tower Publishing Corporation as a business, was selected by God as his business on earth in 1918 and then that was changed to 1919 (but that was not really a change since it was only moved one year). God is a business man. It was a pick between the Ford Motor Company and Watch Tower Printing Corporation. Ford was having problems with wheel bearings on it's Model T car and Tower Printing had all it's teachings wrong so God picked Tower Printing.

That's funny as hell, Gary ...

I guess God chose WatchTower Printing because he knew nothing about Ford's little bearing thingie issues.

After all, he'd never created a Model T

. . . but he does have the #1 best seller of all time under his belt.

• garybuss
    garybuss

My apologies to Ford. If God had picked them instead of Watch Tower Printing they would still be building the Model "T". They wouldn't have to update it. They could just deny there's anything outdated about it.

• fairchild
    fairchild

To me personally, 'this generation' is the biggest stumble. They changed their view on the 1914 thing several times, and now they are trying to just make it go away by not talking (writing) about it anymore. The only right thing to do would be to admit that they were wrong, and to apologize profusely for allowing people to put their hopes up.

Actually, quite a few people left from the KH where my sister goes, when they made the change in 1995.

• Pwned
    Pwned

I was in the same cong for most of my life but i moved in 94 and stopped going in 95 for totally unrelated reasons so i guess i really have no idea how many in my cong left, but i just know my family seemed unfazed.

• Mamacat
    Mamacat

I stopped going in 93, and I didn't know about this until about 2001. I read it somewhere online, and I asked my mom about it. She told me about it and the "new light." She gave the line about Jesus stating no one knows the time or hour.

I reminded her that I was told repeatedly I would not graduate from high school, and I had in 94. She tried to say she had never said that! HA! I remember she did along with other family members and elders from the platform. If I had still been going when it was announced, I would have left! I have had to let go of a lot of anger over not being able to do things because no one thought this system would last much longer.

I asked her what if she gets old and it hasn't come.... She is in her early 50's now. She had tears running down her face and told me that she has faith in Jehovah, that we will stop all this suffering and death. I wish I could get through to her.

• fairchild
    fairchild
    I asked her what if she gets old and it hasn't come.... She is in her early 50's now. She had tears running down her face and told me that she has faith in Jehovah, that we will stop all this suffering and death. I wish I could get through to her.

Mamacat, this made my eyes sting. There is a profound sadness in this concept here.

• trevor
    trevor

1990 to 2000 - and Beyond

The march of time moved on relentlessly. The Watchtower Society began to alter their definition of ?a generation? and stretch their credulity to the limit. When 1995 arrived they realized they would have to come clean and admit that they were wrong. That Armageddon was in fact further away than they had thought, unless there was another way out.

Realising that time was running out, the Society?s then President Fred Franz, referring to the promised new world declared:

?But we are as strong for it as we ever were, and we are appreciating it all the more the longer we have to wait for it. It is something worth waiting for, even if it required a million years.? (Watchtower ? 15 December 1991 ? Page 11)

The faithful men of old had not returned physically as promised. The promised return of Jesus to earth had been explained away as an invisible return that they had failed to notice. It was now claimed that many of the promises regarding Israel had been fulfilled on the Witnesses in a spiritual or pictorial way. The promised paradise was, for now, a spiritual paradise.

It would have only been one step more for the Society to declare that Armageddon was to be fought in a spiritual realm and would be one more invisible fulfilment not be seen by the members. They could have written another book explaining that Armageddon had already taken place invisibly and they had missed this event too, but could explain it all, using that wonderful tool of hindsight. Perhaps giving the due apology for having encouraged some of the older members to spend their lives speculating about how many days or years make up a generation. Instead they said:

?Eager to see the end of this evil system, Jehovah?s people have at times speculated about the time when the ?great tribulation? would break out, even tying this to calculations of what is the lifetime of a generation since 1914. However we ?bring a heart of wisdom in.? Not by speculating about how many days or years make up a generation, but by thinking about how we ?count our days? in bringing joyful praise to Jehovah. (Psalm 90:12) Rather than provide a rule for measuring time, the term ?generation? as used by Jesus refers principally to contemporary people of a certain historic period, with their identifying characteristics?

?Is anything to be gained, then, by looking for dates or by speculating about the literal lifetime of a ?generation?? Far from it! Therefore, in the final fulfilment of Jesus? prophecy today, ?this generation? apparently refers to the people of the earth who see the sign of Christ?s presence but fail to mend their ways. Does our more precise viewpoint on ?this Generation? mean that Armageddon is further away than we had thought? Not at all.? (Watchtower ? 1 November 1995 - Pages 17,19,20)

Did you notice that the Society did not say ? We have at times speculated, but ?Jehovah?s people have at times speculated.? The blame for a lifetime of misinterpreting the scriptures and making false prophecies in God?s name is shared with the membership. These are the same members that were threatened with excommunication if they ever dared to challenge the pronouncements coming from the Society, who claim to be ?God?s mouthpiece.?

Having spent the last hundred years warning their members and millions of non-members that the world as we know it is about to end, the Society eventually admits that the single verse of scripture that they have based this prediction on is now to be understood differently. Surely this means that Armageddon is further away than they had thought? According to the Watchtower Society ?Not at all!?

Is this an honest way to deal with such a fundamental shift of belief?

Many of the membership had built their lives around the time-scale dictated to them by the Society. Some had not planned for retirement having been categorically assured that they would never reach old age. Others had sacrificed their careers and family life to give greater service. What now?

For a free download of the book this is taken from - click on my profile

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

:She had tears running down her face and told me that she has faith in Jehovah, that we will stop all this suffering and death. I wish I could get through to her.

I feel the same way about my dad. Life can be a real bummer sometimes. Its why I don't even really try to convince him anymore, I think he is too far gone.

GBL

• Mamacat
    Mamacat

I just try to point out little things to my mom that don't mesh. This generation change was huge, but it seems it didn't effect the dubs the way it should have.

It's like someone told you that you were going to be selling your house and buying a new one on a certain date, but then, it doesn't happen. You don't visit the bank to get the loan, no one comes to appraise the house, the for sale sign never appears and you've only seen pictures of the new house...never visited. Nothing happens. Then, you're told, "Well you'll move someday, but I don't know when right now. I can't be sure of the date." It would be natural to be disappointed. The whole concept of no one seeming to care about the change doesn't make sense.

My mom has an incredible amount of faith in God (and the org). I used to think her faith was admirable...she can believe in things she can't see, and I am a doubter. But, blindly following someone/thing isn't really faith.

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

Outrageous - they may as well say, "You people are such fools we can hardly believe it ourselves, so here's your next 'food' for fodder."

They completely turn it all around blaming the victims abd praising themselves, and people buy it - literally

?Eager to see the end of this evil system, Jehovah?s people have at times speculated about the time when the ?great tribulation? would break out, even tying this to calculations of what is the lifetime of a generation since 1914. However we ?bring a heart of wisdom in.?

It's a social study - that they can treat people like some kind of toilet - not only get away with it, but thrive.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit