A 1914 generation question

by Pwned 40 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• JustTickledPink
    JustTickledPink

I told my mother recently that when I studied the bible with people I used the "Live Forever" book but that it's outdated now because of the HUGE emphasis on 1914 in that book. She didn't say a thing to contradict me. She is still holding her breath "any day now"

• Liberty II
    Liberty II

I love how any JWs who recognizes the 1914 Doctrine change calls it a "minor" change. Hah! It is a huge difference. Not only does it eliminate the possibility of even a rough time limit for the arrival of the big "A" but it changes the "Generation" from being the faithful JWs who understood the signs of Christ's presence into a collection of evil doers who fail to see the sign of Christ's presence (an invisible presence by the way) from then into infinity. It literally means the exact opposite of what it used to mean! Not only that, but it negates the "special" knowledge that supposidley gave JWs & the Watchtower Society its ability to state that they knew more than the evil churches of Christendom about the End Times. Lots of churches believe the big "A" is coming "some time soon", so for all their claimed "spirit direction" the Watchtower bunch now backhandedly admits that it knows no more than any body else or even the Satanic "false" religions.

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12
    did they make an announcement or did they just hope no one would notice?

They just hoped no one would notice.

Just after that issue of the Awake was released, my wife and I had been inactive for a little while, when we received a "shepherding" call from 2 elders.

I mentioned the change and one elder was aware of it, the other was completely unaware of it, and it unsettled him. Elder #1 tried to dismiss it, but I got some small satisfaction, that even though I no longer received the magazines, I knew about it and he didn't.

I still remember watching a news bite on CNN about it, with the newscaster, announcing (paraphrase) 'To the Jehovah's Witnesses organization, the end has become fluid.'

• talesin
    talesin

This would be enough for someone to 'step down' from being an elder, n'est ce pas?

Stumbled! This explains a lot ... hmmm, this thread has been a big help to me. :)

t

• Honesty
    Honesty

Let me see if I understand this correctly...

The Awake masthead on page 4 of the 1/8/93 issue states: this magazine builds confidence in the Creator's promise of a peaceful and secure New Order before the generation that saw the events of 1914 passes away.

The Awake masthead on page 4 of the 1/8/2001 issue states: this magazine builds confidence in the Creator's promise of a peaceful and secure new world that is about to replace the present wicked, lawless system of things.

I'm getting just a little upset that this freak of a Watchtower god keeps changing the promise he made to me, his loyal and faithful servant. This shitehead god will destroy my butt if I lie to him but he can lie and screw with my honest heart and I'm supposed to believe and continue serving him?

You are kidding me, right?

The freaky Watchtower god even lied to me in his Watchtower magazines about the meaning of generation genea. According to the dictionaries and lexicons that I have personally researched, the word genea in Matthew 24:34 means the persons then living contemporary with Christ. In addition the Hebrews seemed to have reckoned time by the generation. In the time of Abraham a generation was an hundred years, thus Genesis 15:16, "In the 4th generation" = in four hundred years (compare verse 13 and Exodus 12:20). In Deuteronomy 1:35 and Deuteronomy 2:14 a generation is a period of thirty-eight years.

What?

You must think I'm a real idiot if, after all this crap the Watchtower god spews out of his mouth like vomit for so many years I'm scared of his stanky unwashed butt.

I have been reading Deutoronomy 18:20-22 a lot lately..

I think I understand.

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

Wow, they actually had that on CNN huh?

GBL

• sting
    sting

A couple of years ago I wrote to the WTS in London. I wrote in with a "question from a reader" about the change in wording at the front of the mag and asked if they could publish it in an edition of "Awake" - I must have been in cloud cukoo land!!!

I heard nothing for ages and then one Saturday morning was greeted by 2 suited witnesses who greeted me by name and said they were from the Watchtower. I dutifully invited them in and spoke at length about 1914 eventually leading on to show them the change in wording.

"Oh do you know I have never noticed that said one of them to me. We will do some home work and get back to you!" - They never did!

• undercover
    undercover
    I still remember watching a news bite on CNN about it, with the newscaster, announcing (paraphrase) 'To the Jehovah's Witnesses organization, the end has become fluid.'

I remember the media caught on to the doctrinal change even when the JWs didn't. The JWs just accepted it as if it were just another WT study article but Time, CNN and several newspapers all had articles on "JWs no longer expecting Armageddon in our lifetime". Then the JWs either ignored the articles or regarded it as apostate propoganda. Talk about a lesson in cognitive dissonance.

• talesin
    talesin
    I heard nothing for ages and then one Saturday morning was greeted by 2 suited witnesses who greeted me by name and said they were from the Watchtower.

... Neo and Morpheus ...

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

:The JWs just accepted it as if it were just another WT study article but Time, CNN and several newspapers all had articles on "JWs no longer expecting Armageddon in our lifetime".

It's like the biggest practical joke in the world that everyone is in on BUT the witnesses.

GBL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit