Can JWs trim their nose hair?

by roykaye 31 Replies latest jw friends

• Princess
    Princess

I have seen many elders who are obviously very aware of this particular directive. They take the same stand on ear hair too.

Princess

• Okidok
    Okidok

The answer is no.But they are allowed to tighten their butt hair and
    play banjo

What if everything is an illusion and nothing exists? In that case, I definitely overpaid for my carpet.
    Woody Allen

• dunsscot
    dunsscot

"A FEW EDITORIAL NOTES ON QUESTIONS FROM READERS
    Is it scriptural to trim nose hair? (Changes submitted by Dunsscot)"

::A Christian is governed by conscience. And some Christians may feel, in the absence of any specific prohibition in the Bible, that trimming nose hair does not go against their conscience. But is that the correct view?::

Maybe you should have written: "A mature Christian is governed by his or her conscience." You also might try using the word "that" in the subordinate clause of the sentence above to avoid any pleonastic tendencies. Thus, your sentence would read (roughly): "And [don't use "and" to start a formal sentence] some Christians may (is this the proper modal?] feel ["think" might be better here that in the absence of any specific scriptural prohibition, trimming nose hair does not go against [too informal] their conscience [actually this sentence is not meaningful]. But [Don't start a formal sentence with "but!"] is that the correct view [Is "what" the correct view? Where is the noun that the demonstrative term you used points to?]?

:Since we hold the scripture as our unfailing guide, we want to be “full grown in our powers of understanding” (1 Corinthians 14:20), and understand “the deep things of God.” (1 Corinthians 2:10).:

Shouldn't you write "the scriptures" instead of "the scripture"? Isn't this sentence also an example of a non sequitur? The conclusion does not follow from the premises, hUIE. If you REALLY want to write a WT article, you're going to have to do something about the errors I detected in your rough draft. After you turn in a second draft, I'll be glad to give you more loving suggestions on how to improve your article. :-) I give you a W on this one.

You don't have to thank me,
    Dan

• Stacey
    Stacey

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHA. Oh My God, that was such an informative article! I've really been moved to never trim again!

Not a frequent poster, just a regular lurker, but had to just say this one was brilliant.

Hehehe.
    Stacey

• roykaye
    roykaye

Dear Dunce Scot

Thanks for your 'suggestions' and for parsing the first two paragraphs. But this a a case of semantic pedantism up with which i will not put.
    Regards
    Roy
    PS: Are you ex-Writing Committee?

• roykaye
    roykaye

Hey
    Stacey, Princess, VeniceIT, Dmouse, Iarc, Philo Julien thanks for the encouragement and appreciation. Glad you liked it.
    regards
    Roy

• TR
    TR

roykaye,

Very informative indeed!

I was actually quite move by the zit popping article in AWAKE! a few years ago. Anyone remember that one?

TR

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    —Edmund Burke

• roykaye
    roykaye

Hi drahcir yarrum

Full agreement. Have to refer to Talmud for that. WTS has to fall back on Talmud and Apocrycha for more rules, since they have exhausted the Bible.
    Regards

• roykaye
    roykaye

Hi Anglise

That was a screeeeeeam Anti-Nasal Hair Coiffeur Directive, and Hair Liberation Committee.
    LOL
    Roy

• roykaye
    roykaye

Hey TR
    what was that about the zip popping article? Never heard that one before.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit