Are JW's becoming more mainstream or more reclusive?

by Pwned 18 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Pwned
    Pwned

I really dont know but I have read both opinions on this forum. Many in my fam are in but we never talk about their religion, except when they invite me to some meeting, or the memorial, assembly etc.

• ezekiel3
    ezekiel3

I will give you an interesting answer to this:

IMO the members are ever more mainstream. This is evidenced by the "sense of urgency" chorus appearing against the warnings of materialism and discouragement. Most Jehovah's Witnesses are neither materialistic or discouraged, they are living their lives! Without the chore of abstaining from Christmas office parties, non-JWs wouldn't know any different.

On the other hand, the WTS is moving ever closer to reclusion. This week during the Service Meeting an announcement is being made:

A number of publishers have telephoned the branch office regarding certain recordings of Kingdom songs sung in a popular style that are presently being circulated among Jehovah's Witnesses. They wonder if these recordings have the organization's approval. We are aware of these recordings and would like to inform you that they do not have our approval. Please do not circulate or download these recordings from the Internet. We trust this information will clarify matters. - Kingdom Ministry March 2005 pg 3

Now what the hell kind of control group is this?? I have heard a score of these recordings, from professionals George Benson and Prince, to ad hoc singing groups that sincerely made beautiful harmony out of some horrendous lyrics. I have never heard Kingdom Songs parodied or bastardized. And yet the fist comes down hard on spontaneous expressions.

What will happen from these divergent attitudes? I predict the WTS is about to tighten its belt during the next few years. Its time to make an example of the lost sheep and herd the flock into yet a smaller pen.

• Pwned
    Pwned

I read that too, and had forgotten all about it. whenever i go to my parents house i always check out the KM for any interesting info and i thought that was pretty funny. i also noticed that they now have a script for service, i thought that was weird, might as well bring the phonograph back.

• ezekiel3
    ezekiel3

Yep, check out this "script" for the March 22 Awake! (quoted from the March 2005 Kingdom Ministry):

Many people love the mountains for their beauty, but did you know that they are vital for life on earth?

[Allow for response]

This magazine discusses why we need mountains and what is happening to them today. It also mentions how the Creator will save this important resource.

Read Psalm 95:4: He in whose hand are the inmost depths of the earth, and to whom the peaks of the mountains belong.

Give me a break! I'd rather sell glamor shots and boondoggle key chains.

• Honesty
    Honesty
    Yep, check out this "script" for the March 22 Awake! (quoted from the March 2005 Kingdom Ministry):

Many people love the mountains for their beauty, but did you know that they are vital for life on earth?

[Allow for response]

This magazine discusses why we need mountains and what is happening to them today. It also mentions how the Creator will save this important resource.

Undeniable proof the dubs are becoming more mainstream and the borg is getting reclusive when they have to script the offer so the booksellers faithful can place more propaganda.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

I'd like to announce that I will be leaving this board and returning to the witnesses. They never had a scripted presentation when I was there, in fact I even remember being counselled by an elders wife who was with me on field service for not varying my presentation to each householder. Now they have this new light and it is okay to regurgitate the same from one door to the next I can't wait to go door to door!

crumpet skips into the light waving goodbye to the poor misguided apostates

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

The only resource that I have, is what I see on here---so my answer is based on that. From the ridiculous "counsel" from the WTS, which includes where the JWs can (or cannot) even EAT their lunch during a convention, I would say they are attempting to control them more and more each year.

The WTS is trying to appear more mainstream for public appeal (such as re-naming themselves as "Christian" Jehovah's Witnesses) but are the same manipulating, controlling group beneath all the false trimming.

Now they have this new light and it is okay to regurgitate the same from one door to the next I can't wait to go door to door!

Crumpet....

Sheesh! I hear ya! Even *I* could memorize something like what was shown and make it sound believable! Between the "15 minute" time slip and the script to tuck into my pocket---I would have had it MADE!!!

Annie

• blondie
    blondie

"Bastardized" yes if the Kingdom music is not coming from the legitimate parent organization, the WTS.

I know of a brother who once did a rush piano playing of the Kingdom songs at a JW wedding because they thought they could and had to use the tapes and found they couldn't time them to match the walks of the wedding party. They were worried the brother would some how "jazz up" the melodies.

How could I think I could spend an eternity with people who thought like that?!

Blondie

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

LOL Annie! What I am very puzzled about now is what exactly did my sister just spend a week at pioneer school learning now that its down to a three line script?!!!

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Good analysis ezekiel3, but I wonder if this dichotomy is not part of going mainstream. They are slowly getting used to people not doing what they say -- just as it happens in the Catholic Church: the pope (or Ratzinger) still has a rule on everything (cf. the recent "indexing" of Da Vinci Code) but the vast majority of Catholics just don't care.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit