Are JW's becoming more mainstream or more reclusive?

by Pwned 18 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• minimus
    minimus

Isolated---if you follow the directives of the Society. The Organization is regularly trying to insulate their members from normal "worldly" people. On the other hand, they are underhanded. They will have association with the United Nations and other political and worldly authorites yet disfellowship YOU if you practice the same principles!

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

LOL...

This magazine discusses why we need mountains

Save the mountains! Please donate to my fund to save the mountains!

SNG

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

More mainstream on the outside and more reclusive in the inside

• Perry
    Perry

It is interesting to see just how far they can stretch the human psyche.

Cognitive Disssssooooooonnnnnaaannnnncccceeee.

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

I think they're becomming more reclusive. Recent renovation projects here at halls and the assembly hall, and some new halls make the buildings appear less accessible. Glass has been replaced with brick. New, higher fences surrounding some properties. Driveways gated. Elders trying to increase the level of control they have in people's lives. And I can't remember the last time I saw JWs in service? in my area. Many used to do street witnessing? at a nearby subway station. I haven't seen anyone there for several years.

Maybe the doors to the modern day ark? will soon be shut!

Walter

• FairMind
    FairMind

I think most mainstream Witnesses live their lives pretty much as they wish but under the pretense of being absolutely obedient to the FDS. I agree that the WTS will probably become more reclusive and intensify their efforts to keep their core membership. Maybe more JWs will begin to see them for what they are (control freaks).

• willyloman
    willyloman

Most of the answers here (so far) seem to indicate a split personality emerging in the organization.

On the one hand, the organization itself is becoming more reclusive in the sense that it has circled the wagons and adopted a defensive position toward outside scrutiny.

On the other hand, there are a lot of dubs who have loosened up considerably in terms of their outlook toward the future, i.e., we're going to live a long time and perhaps die of old age in this system (shhh, don't tell 'mother' I said that) so we might as well pace ourselves.

• ezekiel3
    ezekiel3
    Nark says: They are slowly getting used to people not doing what they say

Indeed they are. The WTS is a bit groggy on this point, but it won't take long to wake up to the fact that the reins are lose. You will be able to prove your point when prominent JWs start getting quoted by the media with differing views than the hardline FDS.

If the WTS were savvy they would start putting forward a celebrity with a soft approach. John Travolta does this for the Scientologists. Sadly, all JWs have is Prince and George (who just got bitch-slapped).

• ValiantBoy
    ValiantBoy

Too bad Teresa Graves (aka Christi Love) is dead. She could do public service announcements where she'd utter such catch phrases as "It's the truth, sugar!"

Seriously, though, the org seems to have phases. Things will soften up for a while and then there will be a crackdown. But, more and more, individual witnesses just ignore what the org says. If everyone who disobeyed was disciplined per the socirty's dictates, there would be few elders, servants, pioneers, or even plain old publishers.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit