For the women: Clothes shopping right before the memorial

by catchthis 18 Replies latest jw friends

• outnfree
    outnfree

Heck, catchthis! The Memorial was the ONLY JW Holy Day! Of course, we wanted to use it as an excuse to get all gussied up! My kids used to get new clothes (son got a new suit), new shoes, hair cut & styled, etc. All of the department stores were having sales, of course, because the Memorial invariably was around Easter time. Just as Scully mentioned, it was sort of like getting dressed up for the Easter Parade. LOL We always took pictures, too, of the kids and their friends in their finery.

(Lena said just the other day that the Memorial was the only meeting she never minded attending. I wonder why? Of course, she also said we should go this year to drink some wine and eat the bread and raise a ruckus, but I'll be damned if I'm ever setting foot in a KH again!)

Love,

Brenda

• purplesofa
    purplesofa
    They make it out to be this HUGE deal. Almost to the point where if they do not get that new dress from Nordstroms, they won't be able to be seen at the memorial.

It is Red Carpet night for the JW ladies.

Always seemed weird to me to get all dressed up and go in a building and sit on hard little chairs in a big white building with no windows.

• theotherside
    theotherside

hey give them a break its the only chance they get 2 wear something similiar 2 Easter attire

• whyamihere
    whyamihere

I remember this one woman(Did I say woman?...I mean ugly short chubby looka likea sheman with a brillow pad for hair) Anyway........

She wore a bridesmaid dress to the Memorial...even the gloves! It was horrible, I looked at her and said "Nice Dress" in a sarcastic way! Its like we know what wedding you were in since it was just last Month Tard Girl! I could not stand her!

Brooke

• rebel8
    rebel8

It's an opportunity to buy new clothes.

Also, I believe there is a human need (for many) to observe rituals and holidays. Making a big whoop out of the Memorial, assemblies, weddings, and anniversaries is a way to fill that natural human desire to observe a holiday and the passing of time/rites of passage. Since they have so few opportunities to observe holidays, and 2 of the big ones are somber (Memorial and assemblies), I believe they are compensating by trying to make a bigger deal of them than they really are.

This is why I don't think holidays are bad. Even if their origins are something individuals may feel are objectionable, the way they are celebrated today by those individuals is all that matters.

• Nancy Drake
    Nancy Drake
    I remember this one woman(Did I say woman?...I mean ugly short chubby looka likea sheman with a brillow pad for hair) Anyway........

Brooke, did this so called woman have a gorilla monsoon of a brother named Joe, and a last name that started with "E"????

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Oh this brings back memories! We never had new dresses for memorials but definitely for assemblies. That was the best bit - sorting a dress for each day of the assembly and then you'd get there and some bitch sister would be there from your own congregation wearing the same damn dress looking better in it than you and you'd know that not only were you going to have to spend the entire day hiding in the toilets cursing her avoiding being the same side of the stadium as her, you were never going to be able to wear it at your own hall!

dem were de days!

• Emma
    Emma

We never had new clothes for a couple of reasons. It reminded my mom of her childhood days in "christendom" when her family couldn't afford new clothes and everyone else showed up in them. Since the "truth" was so different from the "world" we had respect for the memorial and didn't imitate the world by getting new stuff. I was sort of disgusted by everyone going all out to make a "show" at the memorial because of that. I repeated that with my own children.

• whyamihere
    whyamihere

Nancy,

It was Good Old Debbie! "Lil Deb" she was so ewwww. I hate being around her she made me shake. When ever I saw her I would thank god for spending more time on me then making me look like that!

Brooke

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit